Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Mower conditioners, 1209 moco

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-16-2019 @ 06:58 AM
    Thanks

Mower conditioners, 1209 moco

Have a 1209 moco, the conditions are in ok shape working towards rough, since new ones are 3k each, has anyone ever rebuilt the rubber part or is it just not an option?
    pcabe5 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,346 Posts
    The 1209 is a good machine, but I have never heard of anyone recovering the rolls. Can you find one in a scrap yard with better rolls? At $3000 each, it seems as though it would be better to look for a better, newer used machine.
    pcabe5, Treefarmer and PJR832 like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    That's always the deal with old equipment. It runs great, just showing it's age, so do I stick money into it, or trash it and invest in something newer and maybe have more problems.
    pcabe5 and PJR832 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:32 PM
    Thanks
    Don't remember the model we had growing up, but I remember the rollers wearing out as you stated. We replaced them with all metal ones that had teeth, looked like gears. Worked great, never wore out, though a bit less forgiving if you run something solid through them, like a rock or a wrench.
    pcabe5, 56Nine and PJR832 like this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    I'll have to go question the dealer and see if I can switch to a different style conditioner. Thanks
    PJR832 likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    07-19-2019 @ 10:04 PM
    Thanks
    I would check the salvage yards, one never knows what kind of luck is to be had there.

For kicks and giggles, this site popped up: Mower and Baler Roller Refurbishment they're located in New York, but call is free (800-641-3511) and at 6K, it may be worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
    Don't remember the model we had growing up, but I remember the rollers wearing out as you stated. We replaced them with all metal ones that had teeth, looked like gears. Worked great, never wore out, though a bit less forgiving if you run something solid through them, like a rock or a wrench.
    Is this from experience? Is there more to the story?

The worst I ever ran through the the mower conditioner was a huge snapping turtle. This was before the disk mower days, it was the model with the arched tongue that also served as the hydraulic reservoir, much like this one. I had made my opening pass driving along the fence, turned around and was doing my back swath.

Coming around a pond dam about 10 minutes later, I glanced over the cutting area where I spotted the turtle in the far tractor track strolling along in the mashed down hay, just barely away from the cutter bar and reel.

I hit the clutch and brakes, but the conditioner arm had a certain amount of give and it came around to where the reel was now batting the turtle. Once, twice then thuwnk into the cross auger, then to the crimp roller. I knew in that instant if I shut the machine off, most likely I would be removing turtle pieces from somewhere.

The conditioner was driven by a hydraulic PTO pump, it started and stopped almost instantly, very little coasting once power was cut. I left the tractor running full throttle, and the turtle came right on out the back end and was in the windrow. Once the carnage was over, I got out to surveyed the damage (to the machine and critter), when I saw where the cross auger, slit it right up the middle on its belly, and the crimp roller cracked the whole shell, like a hard boiled egg. The tractor and machine didn't even know it hit anything.

Later I learned of a neighbor that would have eaten him, but if that doesn't give one a new appreciation for the power of equipment nothing will. It made a lifelong impression on me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2001johndeere1600a-16mowerconditioner-8.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	452090
    BigJim55, johnH123 and PJR832 like this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link. I'll check the salvage yards first.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Nine View Post
    Is this from experience? Is there more to the story?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2001johndeere1600a-16mowerconditioner-8.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	452090
    That looks similar to the machine we had.
    We had really rocky land, so there was a lot of dents and dings, especially on new alfalfa fields.
    Dad ran a 7/8 JD wrench through it after changing some guards and sections in the field. It was still mostly useable, but a crack in the box end and some extra "texturing" on the rest of it.

Never major damage to the rollers, just lots of dings/dents, so it ran pretty loud when nothing was going through it. Not bad when actually cutting.
    BigJim55, 56Nine and PJR832 like this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    County Line 5' tiller

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Just had a new idea that was mention in the post, has anyone welded any sort of metal to the conditioners in place of the rubber. The refurbished ones were 1500 ea which is still way more then it's worth. Just thinking up new ideas to try and get more years out of this ol girl before I'm forced to upgrade.
    PJR832 likes this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jthorsten View Post
    Just had a new idea that was mention in the post, has anyone welded any sort of metal to the conditioners in place of the rubber. The refurbished ones were 1500 ea which is still way more then it's worth. Just thinking up new ideas to try and get more years out of this ol girl before I'm forced to upgrade.
    On ours, the outside edges wore off first on the rubber ones. Dad welded some chunks of metal on them, can't remember how big/long they were, that was 20+ years ago!
    Make sure if you do that, they add on are spaced correctly so they fit together, rather than strike each other. Also, that they are equally spaced around the roller, to keep somewhat of a balance.
    They are spinning pretty fast!
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    County Line 5' tiller

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast