Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: 12 A Combine

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-05-2019 @ 09:12 AM
    Thanks

12 A Combine

I just got my new toy home and off the trailer. Now the clean up work starts. It is in pretty good shape over all, just a bit of age rust and a bit of bent sheet metal.
    The question is does anybody here know where the serial number is on a 12 A? Pretty sure it probably is a 50s vintage but would like to know for sure.
    Thanks
    Hutch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 60 n 12.jpg  
    Last edited by drhutch; 11-07-2017 at 09:25 AM.
    Superglidesport, Levi, JKR and 9 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:04 PM
    Thanks
    a google search reports to "look behind the LH rear lower panel behind the tire, fairly large numbers" Should be something like 12A6155 or12A8155

Good luck!
    Levi, BigJim55, raco232 and 3 others like this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 56Nine For This Useful Post:

drhutch (11-07-2017)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks, I will go look tomorrow when it warms up a bit.
    Levi, Herminator and Fozsey like this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well I found painted numbers there but couldn't believe JD would use a painted serial number. However after getting some parts from a 12A in Greg Stephen's bone yard I found on his they painted the serial number and also stamped it into the metal below the painted one. The area of the stamping on mine is rusted bad enough to hide the stamping. Perhaps after some sandblasting the stamping will appear. It does look like mine is a 51 model.

As an aside could the moderators move this to the Combines and Mowers section, probably a more appropriate area. Thanks
    ky_shawn, Herminator and Fozsey like this.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    06-26-2019 @ 10:46 PM
    Thanks
    That brings back some memories. While we didn't use JD products, I grew up combining fescue with pull-type combines. Old Allis Chalmers behind a WD-45 of my grandpa's.

With any luck I'll inherit my other grandpa's old Johnny Popper. Another one I spent some time on growing up.
    Herminator likes this.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    A bit of history on a JD 60, a 12A and if memory serves me correctly a JD 45 self propelled combine...
    It was probably harvest time in 1951. The JD dealer in Sidney NE brought the above equipment to our farm to harvest the wheat. All of the equipment was paint OD green. The 60 had a large clock timer on it (where later the tach cable was on the one Grandpa bought for me and my brother to drive). We were both told not to turn the ignition switch on as that would start the clock and mess with the hours... but as an inquisitive 6 year old I had to see for myself. It did indeed run the clock wheel. I didn't know then but I am sure they were demo / testing the new equipment as the 60 was introduced in 52. I know now the 12A had been around for a long time but new improvements came out on it in the early 50s. It made a pretty big impression on me and this is one reason why I don't have much space in and around my garage here in town now.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    04-28-2019 @ 12:12 AM
    Thanks
    I love the 12 A combine picture! How are you coming on the restoration?
    Herminator likes this.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks

12A Update

I have gotten most of the dings out of the tin and the header sides pulled back into proper shape. The reel has been rebuilt and painted. Clean grain elevator replaced, conveyer rebuilt, upper canvas replaced and all new belts installed. I am currently working on repairing the feeder canvas and when that is finished and installed the combine should be operational. I did take it to the Punkin Fest as a static display last fall and it got a lot of attention. The acquisition of an MC, and L tractors and the Model E stationary engine have caused a slow down on progress of the 12A. Winter and the fact the L and E fit in the heated shop have a lot to do with that. Next time I get to my daughters, where I am storing it I will get a proper up to date pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4878.jpg  
    grnspot110, jdmich and johnH123 like this.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks

Update

Well I have the header canvas repaired and ready to install. When it stops raining around here I will take it to my daughter's and install it on the 12A.
    A couple of pics of the repair. First is the bottom piece of canvas glued on and awaiting the top piece. The repair canvas came from the upper small canvas that had split across and was replaced with a new canvas (that came with the combine). The second is of the rivets and slats.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5706.jpg   IMG_5708.jpg  
    DRobinson, BigJim55 and johnH123 like this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 1,345 Posts
    I, for one, am anxious to see this combine back together.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast