Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tx Jim

Thread: Questions about 456 SS Round Baler

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-13-2014 @ 09:22 PM
    Thanks

Questions about 456 SS Round Baler

We have an Older(not sure of exact year) John Deere 456 SS round baler with electric net wrap and hydraulic twine tie , currently it has the older type monitor with just the two arrow gauges for bale shape and a separate controller for the net wrap. I was wondering if anybody knew if you can use the newer style Bale Trak monitor with the older baler and what all we would have to change on our baler to make it work.

Also if anybody else has a 456 with the old net wrap controller, I was wondering if you have to press and hold the button down the entire time the bale wraps until the cut light flashes. We bought this baler used and that how we were told how to make the net wrap work, but not sure if that's the way it is suppose to be used, and we think that by holding it down we maybe wearing out the net wrap actuator.

Thanks in advance for any responses

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 751 Posts
    As much as I'd like to run a hay baler, it hasn't happened yet, so I am no help with your questions. Sorry. But...

If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    Tbook
    I was unaware the JD smaller rd balers had a different monitor box/netwrap controller. I'm guessing your baler is lacking this controller(parts key 1) or it's inoperable or does this contain the switch you referred to. Do you have an operators manual & if so have you read "netwrap operation section"? It will surprise me if JD designed the netwrap to not be full automatic.
    RE67317 Control - CONTROL (NET CONTROLLER) ADD 1,351.08 USD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EP13339________UN23JUN06.jpg  
    Last edited by Tx Jim; 11-13-2014 at 06:28 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    As much as I'd like to run a hay baler, it hasn't happened yet, so I am no help with your questions. Sorry. But...:
    Hopefully after today I'll be done baling this year BUT you're welcome to come learn how to bale next season after all we don't live that far apart. . My daughter has rd baled some hay for me in the past and IMHO most women can operate a rd baler as good or better than a man.
    Jim
    farmgirl19 likes this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tx Jim For This Useful Post:

farmgirl19 (11-13-2014)

8. Top | #5
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 751 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    Hopefully after today I'll be done baling this year BUT you're welcome to come learn how to bale next season after all we don't live that far apart. . My daughter has rd baled some hay for me in the past and IMHO most women can operate a rd baler as good or better than a man.
    Jim
    Thanks ever so kindly, Tx Jim!!! Don't be surprised when you get a PM from me next Spring!!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    11-13-2014 @ 09:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    Tbook
    I was unaware the JD smaller rd balers had a different monitor box/netwrap controller. I'm guessing your baler is lacking this controller(parts key 1) or it's inoperable or does this contain the switch you referred to. Do you have an operators manual & if so have you read "netwrap operation section"? It will surprise me if JD designed the netwrap to not be full automatic.
    RE67317 Control - CONTROL (NET CONTROLLER) ADD 1,351.08 USD

Jim Thanks for Reply our baler is set up just like the picture. We have the net wrap controller that is pictured, but when its time to wrap the bale we have to hold the wrap button down until the net wrap makes it cycle then release it once the net wrap cuts. Not sure if that the way it is suppose to be, but its how it worked since we got it the last few years. But this year we had problems with the actuator and will be putting a new one on this winter, and we were just thinking that maybe by holding the button down during the whole cycle we are getting too many amps to the actuator thus wearing it out. I guess o On the new style bale trak monitors you can check your channel settings to see if the actuator is getting to many amps but we have the older bale watch non digital monitor.

Thanks

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Tbook
    Have you read the 456 operators manual to understand if this is the correct netwrap operation procedure???

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements