• 2 Post By PJR832
  • 4 Post By Treefarmer

Thread: Disc mower

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 10:57 AM
    Thanks

Disc mower

After 20 years or so, our Land Pride disc mower is giving up the ghost and parts are not readily available. It's been almost bullet proof but time and use are taking their toll so it's time for something new.

We only cut about 60-80 acres a year now so it's tough to justify a large expense. Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced disc mower? We don't really need a conditioner and a 3ph has worked fine for us.

Treefarmer
    Levi, BigJim55, Herminator and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 1,046 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    After 20 years or so, our Land Pride disc mower is giving up the ghost and parts are not readily available. It's been almost bullet proof but time and use are taking their toll so it's time for something new.

We only cut about 60-80 acres a year now so it's tough to justify a large expense. Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced disc mower? We don't really need a conditioner and a 3ph has worked fine for us.

Treefarmer
    well tree farmer let me introduce to a very good jd number 5 -7 ft sickle bar mower, or a number 8, same size bar-or a 3pt number 9. will even deliver to ya. very reasonable price on the first 2-ok kinda have plans for the 3rd one some day.
    Levi, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks

I appreciate the offer

Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    well tree farmer let me introduce to a very good jd number 5 -7 ft sickle bar mower, or a number 8, same size bar-or a 3pt number 9. will even deliver to ya. very reasonable price on the first 2-ok kinda have plans for the 3rd one some day.
    I appreciate the offer but after running a disc mower for a fairly long time, I really don't want to go back to a sickle bar. We still have an old NH sickle in the shed for that matter and it can stay there if I can put together the for another disc mower.

I properly tuned sickle bar is great but in heavy wet material the disc mower is better, faster etc.

Treefarmer
    DRobinson, Levi and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 06:32 AM
    Thanks
    I have a Tar River 165 3 pt. drum mower and I have been extremely happy with it. I'm running on a 32 hp. 4310 and once it is spun up I can go as fast as the tractor will go and have no issues with clogging. The only downside with it is that it cuts the grass and windrows it but I have seen some on youtube that have built in tedders that help distribute the cut hay.

I initially tried with an old MF sickle mower and made it about 50 yards before I had a castastrophic failure and blew the housing that a pivot arm was attached to. The grass just wasn't stemmy enough and was causing clogging issues. The drum didn't even know it was there. I've ran it through some pretty thick stuff and it barely even lugged the engine.

For doing 60-80 ac. though you would definitely most likely need a larger model but they are way cheaper than disc mowers.
    Levi, Treefarmer and PJR832 like this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Super55 For This Useful Post:

Treefarmer (06-08-2018)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks

Drum mower

Quote Originally Posted by Super55 View Post
    I have a Tar River 165 3 pt. drum mower and I have been extremely happy with it. I'm running on a 32 hp. 4310 and once it is spun up I can go as fast as the tractor will go and have no issues with clogging. The only downside with it is that it cuts the grass and windrows it but I have seen some on youtube that have built in tedders that help distribute the cut hay.

I initially tried with an old MF sickle mower and made it about 50 yards before I had a castastrophic failure and blew the housing that a pivot arm was attached to. The grass just wasn't stemmy enough and was causing clogging issues. The drum didn't even know it was there. I've ran it through some pretty thick stuff and it barely even lugged the engine.

For doing 60-80 ac. though you would definitely most likely need a larger model but they are way cheaper than disc mowers.
    The cost factor sure makes a drum mower attractive. I'm not seeing any with more than a 6' cut but they claim that's as good as a larger disc mower. I'm not sure I buy that theory as we could run the disc mower as fast as I'm comfortable on the tractor given that groundhogs like to provide excitement in our fields. Coyotes thinned them out some but have recently fallen down on the job. I guess the groundhogs adapted to the coyotes.

Treefarmer
    DRobinson, Levi and PJR832 like this.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks

Reese drum mowers

Does anyone have a Reese drum mower? They look like a robust unit and have larger sizes but the only dealer I can see is halfway across the country.

On the flip side, we are still limping along with our Land Pride disc mower. It needs shoes and Land Pride no longer sells any parts. I think the cutter bar assembly is a Fort and may be the same as a Mora but I'm having a hard time finding shoes for those as well. If anyone has a supplier, I'd appreciate the heads up and contact information.

Treefarmer

Late edit- Agrisupply sells Mora and a kind person there measured one for me. I think (hope) it's a fit. We will see, they're on order.
    Last edited by Treefarmer; 06-27-2018 at 03:24 PM.
    Levi, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:34 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    Does anyone have a Reese drum mower? They look like a robust unit and have larger sizes but the only dealer I can see is halfway across the country.

On the flip side, we are still limping along with our Land Pride disc mower. It needs shoes and Land Pride no longer sells any parts. I think the cutter bar assembly is a Fort and may be the same as a Mora but I'm having a hard time finding shoes for those as well. If anyone has a supplier, I'd appreciate the heads up and contact information.

Treefarmer
    Uh, I've never really looked at many drum mowers until now but I see what you are saying, about 6'1" is the biggest I've found. Like you said, I understand the theory as they claim you can go just as fast as the tractor will go with them but I also see almost everyone advertises for small acreage. Have you scouted out the used market? The only trouble there IMO is you would buy one that almost certainly needs at least a little work, or pay top dollar for a fairly new used one.
    Levi and JD4044M like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks

Used

Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    Uh, I've never really looked at many drum mowers until now but I see what you are saying, about 6'1" is the biggest I've found. Like you said, I understand the theory as they claim you can go just as fast as the tractor will go with them but I also see almost everyone advertises for small acreage. Have you scouted out the used market? The only trouble there IMO is you would buy one that almost certainly needs at least a little work, or pay top dollar for a fairly new used one.
    I'm a little afraid of buying a used disc mower unless I knew the previous owner and their situation. If it was one of the modular shaft units, it might be ok as that's not a big deal to swap out one shaft section/hub assembly. If it's an oil bath unit, there's too many parts inside that could be worn and I'd never know it until it disintegrated. What we have now is an oil bath and it's been fine but the idea of taking it apart and rebuilding it is not thrilling, even if parts were available.

Reese does make larger units which would be great if I was in Australia or New Zeland but there's only one distributor in the US as far as I can tell.

Treefarmer
    Levi, Drifterbike, PJR832 and 1 others like this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements