Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Sickle Bar Mower

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-16-2019 @ 10:56 AM
    Thanks

Sickle Bar Mower

I've got the opportunity to use about 7-8 acres for grass hay. No rent. I was thinking about getting a small square baler anyway for straw in the not so distant future. I've found a couple older sickle mowers for sale that don't look terrible. From what I've read they are ok for grass because it doesn't need to be crimped to dry down properly like clovers/alfalfa. Is that correct?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:01 AM
    Thanks
    I think it all needs to dry out. Just wait a couple of days before raking and baling it.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Right. My buddy says he doesn't like them because they plug up. But I know a lot of two cylinder guys that run them just fine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:33 PM
    Thanks
    Yep, they work fine. Lots of guys around here use them.

Cut it and leave it lay a couple days; depending on temp, humidity, grass thickness, and precipitation; then rake and bale.

As far as plugging up, if they are, then they probably have worn/broken/missing sickle sections or guards.
    etcallhome likes this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
    Yep, they work fine. Lots of guys around here use them.

Cut it and leave it lay a couple days; depending on temp, humidity, grass thickness, and precipitation; then rake and bale.

As far as plugging up, if they are, then they probably have worn/broken/missing sickle sections or guards.
    Funny that's what I told him. What brand would a blue colored mower be? There's one right down the road but I haven't got a good look at it.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Ford?
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    County Line 5' tiller

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Thanks

Sickle

We cut a lot of hay with sickle mowers but they are relatively high maintenance. With sharp sections and good guards on the mower and everything properly timed, they cut well if quite a bit slower than disc mowers. Make sure that the sections start and stop within the guards as they move.

One good improvement was the invention of bolt on sections, however they require a higher hold down clip. It still beats taking the whole cutter bar out, drilling out a broken section and riveting a new one in.

One other tip is that at least the mowers we had would only lift the cutter bar up about 30 degrees hydraulically. To raise them to transport was a manual process from there which really wasn't bad BUT the knife would tend to drop down as you lifted it. It only dropped to the end of the cycle but that was enough to cut the heck out of your hand if you grasped the bar within the cutting section. I was taught very early to lift by the back of the bar and keep my hands away from the sharp parts. As a result, I still have all my fingers. . .

If it's blue- probably Ford. NH was orange/yellow.

Treefarmer
    rtgt, BigJim55, SulleyBear and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

lindsey97 (05-06-2019)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Gotcha. I'll have to see what it has. My sprayer folds up manually too. I've learned to not stand under it unless I want whatever was in the tank in my head.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:40 AM
    Thanks
    d squared inham- While growing up in western South Dakota, my family exchanged Mule deer hunting rights on 560 acres of pristine pine woodland for labor including branding/castrating/dehorning calves, putting up firewood, cutting/raking/stacking hay, etc. I was the dumb kid who got to ride the old dump rake and trigger the dump release to keep the windrows straight. I dumped more than one load early after seeing a snake rolling with the hay.

We tried to cut hay on warm, dry days, rake quickly afterward, then collect and stack the hay as expediently as possible.

The old guy who owned the ranch maintained the sickle bars in his little workshop. He spent hours replacing cutter sections, keeping them sharp, and keeping the hay crew mowing.

I miss those days(mid to late 1970's, early 1980's) and the people whom I helped maintain a small, family operated ranch in "God's Country." As a young, dumb, kid, riding the rake was not my only dirty job.

Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    I think it all needs to dry out. Just wait a couple of days before raking and baling it.

Dave
    Best Regards,

Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft Finishing Mower
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    4X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I can remember when dad would sharpen the sections vs replace them... man that was a tedious process.
    Superglidesport and BigJim55 like this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    County Line 5' tiller

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast