• 3 Post By johnH123
  • 2 Post By Treefarmer

Thread: combine fires

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Thanks

combine fires

Had a guy tell me the other day that the deere combines are more prone to fire than case/NH. I'm trying to figure out if he was blowing smoke (no pun intended) or if deere is really more prone to fires than case.

On the other hand, he is a diehard fiat fanboy so...

any thoughts?
    Oscar Leroy and PJR832 like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Thanks
    We have every color of combine under the rainbow here, and my windshield drive and talking with local farmer experience says the fire is not brand specific, but more related to the failure to properly maintain the equipment. Lots of guys have a battery leaf blower they use to blow the chaff and debris away from the engine and feeder housing area more than once a day, and of course keeping an eye out for failed bearings and componets when doing the morning walk through.
    mjncad, ejb69, BigJim55 and 6 others like this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    Had a guy tell me the other day that the deere combines are more prone to fire than case/NH. I'm trying to figure out if he was blowing smoke (no pun intended) or if deere is really more prone to fires than case.

On the other hand, he is a diehard fiat fanboy so...

any thoughts?
    The reason they are more prone to fire is because There Are More of them so... Weíve had two different neighbors/friends burn up their round balers due to bearing failure. Both were New Hollandís so donít think they are more prone to you just see more New Holland balers around here.
    mjncad, BigJim55, johnH123 and 4 others like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    07-18-2019 @ 05:55 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Nine View Post
    We have every color of combine under the rainbow here, and my windshield drive and talking with local farmer experience says the fire is not brand specific, but more related to the failure to properly maintain the equipment. Lots of guys have a battery leaf blower they use to blow the chaff and debris away from the engine and feeder housing area more than once a day, and of course keeping an eye out for failed bearings and componets when doing the morning walk through.
    This ^
    BigJim55, Herminator and PJR832 like this.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmich View Post
    The reason they are more prone to fire is because There Are More of them so... Weíve had two different neighbors/friends burn up their round balers due to bearing failure. Both were New Hollandís so donít think they are more prone to you just see more New Holland balers around here.
    Just because there is more of them, doesnít mean there will be more fires. I live in the Memphis area, which has more black folks than white folks. The black people are complaining that there are more blacks in the city jail than there are white people. Just makes good sense to me that whoever is the majority race would then have the majority race in jail. But these folks call it racist.

I guess it all depends where you live if something is more prone to happen or not. Sorry about telling the truth, but a lot of folks donít like to hear it.
    mjncad, BigJim55, johnH123 and 3 others like this.
    2012 JD2520 R4's.
    200CX Loader, 49" bucket
    Imatch quick hitch
    King Kutter 60" tiller
    Howse 60" Box blade
    Howse 16" Single bottom plow
    Dirt Dog 5 Shank Chisel Plow (60")
    Homemade 3pt suitcase weight hitch
    Homemade 3pt 1 row disc hiller
    Homemade (6) shank toothbar
    (4) 2" Motorsports Wheel Spacers
    (7) 70lb suitcase weights
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    Titan 42" pallet forks

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 AM
    Thanks
    a
    Quote Originally Posted by raco232 View Post
    Just because there is more of them, doesnít mean there will be more fires. I live in the Memphis area, which has more black folks than white folks. The black people are complaining that there are more blacks in the city jail than there are white people. Just makes good sense to me that whoever is the majority race would then have the majority race in jail. But these folks call it racist.

I guess it all depends where you live if something is more prone to happen or not. Sorry about telling the truth, but a lot of folks donít like to hear it.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks

Maybe

Deere has had a couple of models that seem to be more prone to fires but I think it's an overstatement to say all Deere are more prone than all Case IH. I know one farmer who had a Deere catch on fire three times. He put it out before too much damage was done but the third time was it- he traded for something different. I also know a Case IH owner who lost a virtually new combine last year and he is pretty meticulous about his equipment.

I'll have to check with some friends who are claims people to see if there is any real data.

Treefarmer
    Last edited by Treefarmer; 09-13-2018 at 06:05 AM.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Thanks
    3 yers ago my son was running a new Deere that did not catch on fire but was smoldering and smoking. He stopped before it was flames and the fire department put it out. It was 1 in the morning. Factory reps were there that morning to inspect it. I would say they take it quite seriously.
    mjncad, BigJim55, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Herminator For This Useful Post:

PJR832†(09-13-2018)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Thanks
    I screwing around on the interwbs and heard that the Australian insurance commission did a study... they didn't find any brand with a higher fire rate than another.

Now the guy i was talking to said that the deere DEALER said that the Deere's are inherently flawed and prone to fire... I still think he got a tone blown up his A$$. :
    jdmich, PJR832 and Fozsey like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks

Might have been one time

Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    I screwing around on the interwbs and heard that the Australian insurance commission did a study... they didn't find any brand with a higher fire rate than another.

Now the guy i was talking to said that the deere DEALER said that the Deere's are inherently flawed and prone to fire... I still think he got a tone blown up his A$$. :
    There may be some leftover feeling from when Deere was later with the idea of rotary combines. As I recall, Gleaner, New Holland and IH all went rotary when Deere was using a conventional design. The rotarys are a bit simpler and may have been less fire prone. That's just a guess and someone could easily prove me wrong.

Treefarmer
    Herminator and Fozsey like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements