• 2 Post By CADplans
  • 1 Post By Treefarmer

Thread: Cotton in the North?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-19-2019 @ 08:57 AM
    Thanks

Cotton in the North?

I just got back from a road trip to Montana. While driving on interstate 90 through Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota I saw about a dozen new John Deere 9996 harvesters on flatbeds being delivered "somewhere". It took me a while to figure out that they were all cotton harvesters because I just couldn't understand where the heck they might be going to. I mean, what are cotton harvesters doing in the north? Or might they be being delivered to the west coast for export via a seaport in Oregon or Washington? My curiosity is killing me.
    DRobinson likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    07-17-2019 @ 03:33 PM
    Thanks
    No cotton in the upper Midwest that I know of, so they were going "somewhere" else.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Thanks
    I haven't seen any cotton other than cotton balls at the pharmacy.

My guess is exporting to somewhere else as well. Or some farmer is gambling on this global warming thing in Alaska.
    DRobinson and Oscar Leroy like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:56 AM
    Thanks
    Could have been heading west from Iowa then south to Arizona. We have a lot of cotton here in the desert.
    2001 4300 SyncReverser 430 Loader/48 Backhoe
    Walker MC20 Zero Turn

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmanatee View Post
    I just got back from a road trip to Montana. While driving on interstate 90 through Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota I saw about a dozen new John Deere 9996 harvesters on flatbeds being delivered "somewhere". It took me a while to figure out that they were all cotton harvesters because I just couldn't understand where the heck they might be going to. I mean, what are cotton harvesters doing in the north? Or might they be being delivered to the west coast for export via a seaport in Oregon or Washington? My curiosity is killing me.

That is a head scratcher...that model of cotton harvester is quite old now, the new version is the CP690 that replaced the 7760, the main difference between these and the ones you saw was the addition of the onboard accumulator.

The cotton harvesters and high clearance spray machines are made about 15 minutes away from me in the same plant. They run production of one for about 6 months then refit the factory to run the other.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Maybe to a port. The only cotton picker I ever saw was on the dock in Thessoliniki, Greece. Greece is also the only place I ever saw cotton growing in a field.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Nine View Post
    That is a head scratcher....
    My relative grew cotton WAY further north than cotton should grow,,

when the federal subsidy ended,,,, he sold all the equipment,,,
    DRobinson and 56Nine like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:56 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Nine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmanatee View Post

That is a head scratcher...that model of cotton harvester is quite old now, the new version is the CP690 that replaced the 7760, the main difference between these and the ones you saw was the addition of the onboard accumulator.

The cotton harvesters and high clearance spray machines are made about 15 minutes away from me in the same plant. They run production of one for about 6 months then refit the factory to run the other.
    You're right I didn't notice he said 9996 models. I know around here a lot of those old basket machines were getting sold to China as people started converting to module builder machines.
    But doesn't make sense to ship them to a port via the northern part of the country.
    2001 4300 SyncReverser 430 Loader/48 Backhoe
    Walker MC20 Zero Turn

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks

Cotton in Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    My relative grew cotton WAY further north than cotton should grow,,

when the federal subsidy ended,,,, he sold all the equipment,,,
    I'm not sure who your relative is but I know the farm where it was claimed was the northern most cotton field in Virginia. It wasn't really a production field, just a small test field and was right on the edge of being able to grow cotton and definitely not a good economic decision. About 30 miles south of that field some farmers tried it for a few years before giving it up as a hard crop. The first year was good, second year was ok, third year was a bust but the equipment payments go on forever. . .

We still have cotton in Virginia but it's all down closer to the NC border. I can't imagine any growing in the upper midwest.

Treefarmer
    rydplrs likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements