Like Tree147Likes

Thread: First full cutting of 2019

1. Top | #21
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,465 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post
    we small square baled most of the field yesterday....we use a accumulagrapple to put them on trailers/wagons and then park them under cover till i get around to unloading them......but usually someone else will want some hay so usually as we finish up if i have time i will hook up a bale basket and put 50-100 bales in it park it under cover till they come get it and dump it under a shade tree and let them load it themselves...saves me several handlings of the bales...thought you guys might like a bale basket picture in process we put 60 bales in it this time
    I've never seen a bale basket before, we do the same with our wagons though, park them in the shed until we have time to unload them.
    Gizmo2, jdmich and ttazzman like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #22
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    I've never seen a bale basket before, we do the same with our wagons though, park them in the shed until we have time to unload them.
    its really easy to deal with....just remove baler chute ..pin it to baler...and go....usually have to adjust back pressure on the baler down a little bit 5 turns ish.....when done just unhook it has a swivel dolly wheel at the tounge so no jack stands like a wagon tounge...the whole back is on a latch open to gravity dump....mine came from a local auction $85 no one knew what it was (prob my best all time auction buy)

only negatives i have found is bales fall in it in a pile so some get a bit miss-shaped.....and even though it has never happend i worry it might accidently trip and dump at a inoportune moment so i am going to rig up a safely chain for that....it is large 10' wide probably about 11' tall

E-Z Trail Farm Wagons | Arthur, IL | Products | Bale Wagons (bale baskets)
    Last edited by ttazzman; 07-15-2019 at 11:19 AM.
    jdmich and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

4. Top | #23
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Here is a question for the hay experts.

We are fairly new to using a spear, we have always used the hugger on the 2555 until last season. When I bought my pallet forks it was a package that came with the 49" main spear and two 17" stabilizers. Then I got to thinking at times when I have trouble getting back out of a bale that I have an awful lot of spear in a 4' bale. If a 49" spear is good for a 5' bale does it make sense that I could use a 39" or perhaps a 43" spear for our 4' bales?

Edit: Usable length is 6" less than length of spear.
    Last edited by PJR832; 07-21-2019 at 08:52 PM.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    JD iMATCH
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Elk Creek Acres

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #24
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:43 PM
    Thanks

We are fairly new to using a spear, we have always used the hugger on the 2555 until last season. When I bought my pallet forks it was a package that came with the 49" main spear and two 17" stabilizers. Then I got to thinking at times when I have trouble getting back out of a bale that I have an awful lot of spear in a 4' bale. If a 49" spear is good for a 5' bale does it make sense that I could use a 39" or perhaps a 43" spear for our 4' bales?

i have multiple setups loader and 3pt all with spears 49" or longer.....done bales 4'-6' .....i prefer twin long spears setup like forks low on the carrage .....one of my 3pt setups has a tubeular single spear that i dislike as its bigger around than forged spears making it harder to push in the bale sometimes ......we feed our round bales in cradle type feeders so the spears being all at one level makes it easier to put the bales in the feeder ........never thought a shorter spear would be more effective
    Last edited by ttazzman; 07-21-2019 at 10:40 PM.
    Gizmo2 and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

7. Top | #25

Last Online
    08-05-2019 @ 02:48 PM
    Thanks
    Neat pics guys.
    Gizmo2 and PJR832 like this.

8. Top | #26

Last Online
    Today @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks

Speared

We're fairly new to spears as well and had used both front and rear forks that go under a bale. I've had trouble getting a bale off the rear forks but the spear has worked well. If possible, I do try to hit the center of the bale which with our old baler is a little softer but sometimes unloading off a trailer that isn't possible. I've not had any trouble getting the bale off the forged spear, even some purchased bales that were extremely tight net wrapped bales.

If you are having trouble, I don't see any problem going to a shorter spear. I would use a forged spear and look for one that's tapered and reasonably smooth.

Treefarmer
    Gizmo2, jdmich and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

PJR832†(07-22-2019)

10. Top | #27
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post
    i have multiple setups loader and 3pt all with spears 49" or longer.....done bales 4'-6' .....i prefer twin long spears setup like forks low on the carrage .....one of my 3pt setups has a tubeular single spear that i dislike as its bigger around than forged spears making it harder to push in the bale sometimes ......we feed our round bales in cradle type feeders so the spears being all at one level makes it easier to put the bales in the feeder ........never thought a shorter spear would be more effective
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    We're fairly new to spears as well and had used both front and rear forks that go under a bale. I've had trouble getting a bale off the rear forks but the spear has worked well. If possible, I do try to hit the center of the bale which with our old baler is a little softer but sometimes unloading off a trailer that isn't possible. I've not had any trouble getting the bale off the forged spear, even some purchased bales that were extremely tight net wrapped bales.

If you are having trouble, I don't see any problem going to a shorter spear. I would use a forged spear and look for one that's tapered and reasonably smooth.

Treefarmer
    Thanks fellas, I'm going to get a shorter spear, 39" , can't hurt to try. It's not every bale, actually only once in awhile, but also with the 2025 I don't have enough lift to "dump" a bale with the 49" spear. I appreciate the feedback.
    Gizmo2 and ttazzman like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    JD iMATCH
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Elk Creek Acres

11. Top | #28
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:23 PM
    Thanks
    Pat this is the one I built. Like I said in pm think the main spear is 38-39 inches canít remember Iíll measure again. I added some more gussets and braces since the picture but works good. Wanted it kinda short for dumping over top of round feeder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 84320E47-470B-4592-88BB-ABBB34A0DCF5.jpeg
    Gizmo2, Gizmo2 and PJR832 like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

12. Top | #29
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmich View Post
    Pat this is the one I built. Like I said in pm think the main spear is 38-39 inches canít remember Iíll measure again. I added some more gussets and braces since the picture but works good. Wanted it kinda short for dumping over top of round feeder.
    Nice, that's exactly how my setup is, main spear and two stabilizers. I sent you a PM first because I knew you are using a smaller tractor too, but then after giving it some thought I decided to put it out there and see what people are using for spears.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    JD iMATCH
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Elk Creek Acres

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3