• 1 Post By Wyobuckaroo
  • 3 Post By Deere1

Thread: New round bale feeder suggestions for cows

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Thanks

New round bale feeder suggestions for cows

I currently have a hay ring that is the typical round bale feeder where the bale sits on the ground or on the mound of old hay left in there. It seems like there is a lot of hay wasted with this setup. Anyone have experience with the cradle type feeders where the round bale is placed in the cradle? Our cows are mini Herefords if that makes any difference.
    JD4044M likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,337 Posts

New round bale feeder suggestions for cows

We bought this feeder last year.

Galvanized Cradle Bale Feeder ‚€” Tarter Farm and Ranch Equipment | American Made Quality Since 1945

It is designed for horses, I would not recommend this for a herd of beefers. The cradle only weighs about 160 lbs and even our horses will push this thing around the pasture. I would be afraid that even a small herd of beef would destroy it.

If you want to try it anyway I will add this:

We also used to use a ring feeder, the waste was sickening. We get very little waste with this feeder, especially when it gets real cold out, then they will push the feeder out of their way and clean up almost all the hay that fell through onto the ground.

Edit:
    just saw that last line about your cows being "mini", this feeder might work well for you.
    Last edited by PJR832; 11-16-2019 at 07:47 PM.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, rtgt and 5 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Good to hear the waste is minimal. I was thinking of fastening it to some posts to keep them from pushing it around. Yours is the same one I was looking at Rural King. Our 3 minis are about 6-800 pounds each. I may give it a try. Thank you for the quick reply and sharing your experience.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, rtgt and 3 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 05:36 PM
    Thanks

Moving the feeder

We move the feed ring with every bale and our cows will pick through the leftover hay and pretty much clean it up.

Last year wasn't a good test of that as the mud was so deep that everything was just a mess. Normally however they do a pretty good job and don't leave much behind. If they leave anything significant, it's probably crappy hay. We have some of that from time to time.

Treefarmer
    Gizmo2, rtgt, MTB98 and 4 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    We move the feed ring with every bale and our cows will pick through the leftover hay and pretty much clean it up.

Last year wasn't a good test of that as the mud was so deep that everything was just a mess. Normally however they do a pretty good job and don't leave much behind. If they leave anything significant, it's probably crappy hay. We have some of that from time to time.

Treefarmer
    Same here Treefarmer. Last year was a mess. I like Patís feeder real well but our bull would definitely tip it over. They push out feeder ring all over. We have to pick it up almost ever time and move it back to high ground. With Patís style if I anchored it heíd probably bent the you know what out of it. Lol then Iím the other pastor where we have the calves, they keep climbing inside the ring. Oh well theyíll get big enough that they wonít fit.
    rtgt, MTB98 and PJR832 like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Our calf likes to get up in there sometimes and every once in a while the big ones too. Theyíre not too rough on feeders and things in the pen so this might be ok.
    Last winter was terrible, a constant cycle of rain then bitter cold then more rain week after week. It was difficult to get the rounds to the feeder if it wasnít really cold to freeze the ground some. We use a round about every 7-10 days during the winter. I put up some squares in the summer too and use those if the weather isnít cooperating on getting a round into their pen.
    jdmich and PJR832 like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:16 PM
    Thanks
    I wonder if you attached a pair of 6x6" skids across the existing skids on the feeder. Making the 6x6 skids about a foot longer on either side.

This would add stability so it can't be tipped over easily... It could be moved maybe, but less tip overs ??
    jdmich likes this.
    Keep your stick on the ice... Red Green

The further north you go, the more things that can and want to eat your horse and you. Grandpa Gilbert.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Ours has been flipped a few times, once by me and a couple of times by the horses. Doesnít seem to hurt it, and itís quite light so itís not hard to flip back over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post

Treefarmer
    I tend to agree with Treefarmer. I also move my rings after each bale and have found the calves and cows lowest on the pecking order usually do a decent job cleaning up. I feel that there is always going to be some leftovers. I know my bull would have a field day with that cradle.
    rtgt, jdmich and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere 5320 4WD with 520 FEL, MX-8 Mower, X585 with 45 FEL, X300, LT 133

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements