Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Mini Hay Baler behind 1025R

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 04:24 AM
    Thanks

Mini Hay Baler behind 1025R

Has anyone used a mini hay baler behind a 1025R? Looking at a SPI MRB850 or 855. A lot of hay here in Kentucky. Looking at potential for barley bales for the pond industry.

Don't plan on upsizing my tractor, just looking for a little income and seat time.
    1025R w/rear light kit, 49" H120 FEL, 12" 260 BH, 60D MMM, 2048 Rotary Cutter, BB5048L Box Blade, 50# wheel weights, 4x42#suitcase weights, 5' TSC Landscape rack, TSC modified Carry-All, 42" Titan Pallet Forks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar

D130 JD Lawn Tractor, Polaris Ranger 400, 18' Gator Made Lowboy Trailer,

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    01-16-2017 @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    Sounds like a 1025/1026/1023 would be big enough to run the baler. Problem would be finding the market to sell enough small round bales to pay off the $10,000 or $11,000 for the baler. You need to figure in the cost of baler twine or net wrap, time, fuel, grease, repairs, any additional costs for handling or storage.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by POWERSTROKE View Post
    Sounds like a 1025/1026/1023 would be big enough to run the baler. Problem would be finding the market to sell enough small round bales to pay off the $10,000 or $11,000 for the baler. You need to figure in the cost of baler twine or net wrap, time, fuel, grease, repairs, any additional costs for handling or storage.
    Baler cost - $11K
    Seat Time - Priceless!!

I am all in for hay seat time,,, I am just not in for the $11K,,,, I can not "sell" mine, but, I get seat time,,,

WAY better than setting on the porch,,,,

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 04:24 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by POWERSTROKE View Post
    I would have to find one for a lot less than $11K...you are right. The hobby horse farms here is a special market. And have a friend selling barley bales for algae control in ponds, needs more sources. Haven't run any numbers yet, just wanting to see if the equipment would work together.

Thanks for the help. I'll try calling a few of the manufacturers and see what they say. Can't always trust a salesman though.....
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1025R w/rear light kit, 49" H120 FEL, 12" 260 BH, 60D MMM, 2048 Rotary Cutter, BB5048L Box Blade, 50# wheel weights, 4x42#suitcase weights, 5' TSC Landscape rack, TSC modified Carry-All, 42" Titan Pallet Forks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar

D130 JD Lawn Tractor, Polaris Ranger 400, 18' Gator Made Lowboy Trailer,

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    This might sound a bit weird, but you can upgrade your tractor to say a 3 or 4 series for less than $11k, then you can purchase a good used baler for under $3k.

Oh, don't forget the Tedder and hay rake.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 1,085 Posts
    The problem with the little round balers is they're really just a novelty. Small square bales are easier to handle and store, and there's plenty of equipment out there to make them. Some of the folks I'm working with probably do t have $11,000 in the tractor and baler combined. It's older used equipment, but if you want to get into farming you need to be mechanically inclined to some degree to start with.

If you wanted to do small scale hay, you could find an older square baler with it's own engine. All the tractor has to do is pull it; that said, I don't know if a 1 series is heavy enough to safely pull one, and certainly not with a wagon attached. That would mean you'd have to pick up the bales out of the field, which would require a truck, trailer, and a lot of labor. Then like Tonton mentioned, there's the cutting and raking that will require equipment as well. You'd need a sickle mower, don't think anyone makes a disc mower that would work. The common 7'+ sickles are too heavy to be safe, but there's a 5 or 5.5' that's marketed just for SCUTs that may work. That's an awful small swath to be cutting for the amount of time and fuel used.

There may be a market for small amounts of custom hay, but I'm afraid a 1 series is too small to do it efficiently enough to be profitable.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,300 Times in 1,510 Posts
    35-40 yrs ago, my brother bought a MF 4wd compact. Like you he thought he would bale his hay and use his new tractor. His FIL had owned a Ford 8n and his thought was his is 4wd and it will be better on the hill behind his house.
    So he bales the hay using the 8n while his wife and young son picked up the hay from the field. Just as he was backing the baler in the shed ,he sees his wife coming off the hill (failed to put in 4wd) . Then he sees the hay wagon pushing his little tractor down the hill and then rolls the tractor with his wife and young son. Thankfully lit jackknifed, and tractor only went on its side. Everyone was OK by the grace of God.
    I think it was that weekend he went back to MF dealer , traded in his compact and bought a 50 or 60 hp tractor he still owns today.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:36 AM
    Thanks

Mini Hay Baler behind 1025R

Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    The problem with the little round balers is they're really just a novelty. Small square bales are easier to handle and store, and there's plenty of equipment out there to make them. Some of the folks I'm working with probably do t have $11,000 in the tractor and baler combined. It's older used equipment, but if you want to get into farming you need to be mechanically inclined to some degree to start with.

If you wanted to do small scale hay, you could find an older square baler with it's own engine. All the tractor has to do is pull it; that said, I don't know if a 1 series is heavy enough to safely pull one, and certainly not with a wagon attached. That would mean you'd have to pick up the bales out of the field, which would require a truck, trailer, and a lot of labor. Then like Tonton mentioned, there's the cutting and raking that will require equipment as well. You'd need a sickle mower, don't think anyone makes a disc mower that would work. The common 7'+ sickles are too heavy to be safe, but there's a 5 or 5.5' that's marketed just for SCUTs that may work. That's an awful small swath to be cutting for the amount of time and fuel used.

There may be a market for small amounts of custom hay, but I'm afraid a 1 series is too small to do it efficiently enough to be profitable.
    I have only seen one person that used a small round baler for making hay. Our neighbor growing up made all his hay for his sheep that way. Still does to this day. I'd help him pick them up from time to time. IT SUCKED!! There was a bale every five feet I swear. Imagine how many bales you'd have on 20 acres?? I got to drive the tractor one time, an 1850 Oliver he had dropped a Detroit diesel into with a straight pipe exhaust. Could hear it coming three miles away. He was always rebuilding the clutch in the tractor on the baler since you have to wait a bit for it to tie the bale.

I'd think youd have better luck finding a used square baler but doubt a 1 series could pull or power it. Tontons idea to upgrade to a 3 or 4 series might be an option depending on what you can find. We powered a New Holland square baler on the farm with a 40hp engine tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:19 AM
    Thanks
    There's always this way: https://youtu.be/XwfLJ6Cbj2c Check the bare feet! I've spent a lot of time in hay fields, but my feet wouldn't handle that!
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.
    Lowell

1944 JD LA, 1953 JD 40S, 93-755 w/60" deck, '04-790 w/300 loader, 2000-F725, '07 "TS" Gator, 80-314 & numerous attachments!, 1980-2418 Power King, 1948 AC "G" & 1961 International Cub Lo Boy

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,874 Times in 1,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FredHickory View Post
    Has anyone used a mini hay baler behind a 1025R? Looking at a SPI MRB850 or 855. A lot of hay here in Kentucky. Looking at potential for barley bales for the pond industry.

Don't plan on upsizing my tractor, just looking for a little income and seat time.
    Go to <tractortoolsdirect> and all your questions will be answered. You can get it all there, mowers, tedders, rakes and balers. You can even get a square baler. It's fun to dream.
    5304, FredHickory and BigJim55 like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Levi For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (03-04-2016)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast