• 3 Post By JimR
  • 5 Post By Woody Jones

Thread: 458 Baler Question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-28-2015 @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks

Question 458 Baler Question

Hello everybody---I have a JD 458 Baler and today I started getting an "nA" code in the lower right corner of the controller. It alternates with the bale diameter. Now it doesn't automatically wrap, so I have to press the "wrap" button to wrap the bale. I cannot find any reference to the "nA" code anywhere in the manual or online. An ideas out there?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks
    Not sure about this but there are several symptoms listed in the Operator's Manual for your baler that mention a "NO ALARM" condition. A couple of them refer to symptoms where there is NO ALARM and the bale failed to automatically wrap... Do any of those fit your conditions?
    FormulaB, OxPath and flyweight like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    is that what the "nA" means?--No Alarm? From looking at the problems associated with that condition (bale not wrapped & no alarm), I would have to say that it's a possibility that I may have taken it out of net wrap mode when fiddling with the set up & diagnostics. But would I still be able to manually wrap a roll if that was the case? Oh well, gives me something to check in the morning. Thanks for the input!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Checked yesterday & it is an Net Wrap mode--still looking for suggestions.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks

Mystery Solved

Today I called the John Deere dealer in Dothan, AL. I talked to Chris in the Service Department and the "nA" code was a mystery to him as well, so he told me that he would call a contact of his at the manufacturer and get back to me. About an hour later, Chris called & told me to go into Diagnostic Mode and check channel 32 and make sure it was ON or AUTO. Channel 32 control automatic net wrapping. As soon as he told me this, I knew exactly what had happened: I was having some problems with the net wrap actuator and had been in Diagnostic Mode earlier. Since the net wrap actuator is Channel 18, I normally go backwards from 0 because it's a little bit faster. Evidently one of my fingers slipped as I was going through the channels and I hit the "minus" key while in Channel 32. Went out to check the baler and that was exactly the problem. Big thumbs up to Chris in Dothan

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements