• 1 Post By westy_ca
  • 1 Post By Tx Jim

Thread: JD 510 baler good/bad?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-22-2016 @ 11:38 PM
    Thanks

JD 510 baler good/bad?

anyone had much to do with a 510 round baler? are they any good? make nice bales?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 08:30 AM
    Thanks
    510 baler was JD's 2nd attempt at building a rd baler. It has bottom belts that are expensive with only spring tension to compress hay. To make matters worse it is closed throat that can cause problems. I classify a 510 baler as a bundler not a baler. I would look for a later model baler such as a 530 or 535 which are good balers
    johnH123, gbnpp05 and westy_ca like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    510 baler was JD's 2nd attempt at building a rd baler. It has bottom belts that are expensive with only spring tension to compress hay. To make matters worse it is closed throat that can cause problems. I classify a 510 baler as a bundler not a baler. I would look for a later model baler such as a 530 or 535 which are good balers
    Thanks Jim... just the kinda information I was looking for... now I know why its so cheap....
    I know where theres a 530 as well... might go have a look at it instead
    johnH123 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 08:30 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by westy_ca View Post
    Thanks Jim... just the kinda information I was looking for... now I know why its so cheap....
    I know where theres a 530 as well... might go have a look at it instead
    You're welcome.
    530 rd baler will make nearly as tight of a bale as later balers if hyd tension system is in good condition. Check for wear of forming belts and for "wear holes" in side sheets of bale chamber. Some older JD balers can experience core starting problems but that can be cured with a full set of pickup teeth and welding beads on metal starter roll to give roll more aggressiveness and worse scenario replacing "worn out" belts. Only thing I don't like about 430/530 balers is single instead of dual twine arms & no bale push bar option & of course no net wrap option.
    westy_ca likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    You're welcome.
    530 rd baler will make nearly as tight of a bale as later balers if hyd tension system is in good condition. Check for wear of forming belts and for "wear holes" in side sheets of bale chamber. Some older JD balers can experience core starting problems but that can be cured with a full set of pickup teeth and welding beads on metal starter roll to give roll more aggressiveness and worse scenario replacing "worn out" belts. Only thing I don't like about 430/530 balers is single instead of dual twine arms & no bale push bar option & of course no net wrap option.
    very nice of you to share your knowledge with me...ive never bought one before so not really sure what to look for.... the pics of the 530 look like it hasn't had much use but who knows....I wont have that much to do with it anyways...is the 430 just smaller than the 530? I don't need a real big one.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements