Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Apple accounts hacked?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks

Apple accounts hacked?

Just came across this. Might be a good time to change any Apple passwords.

Apple accounts hacked?
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, OxPath and 1 others like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spferdil View Post
    Just came across this. Might be a good time to change any Apple passwords.

Apple accounts hacked?
    One of the things the "hackers' offered to accept was the Bitcoin, which makes sense. However, their offer to accept $100k in Apple or I Tunes Gift Cards seems pretty foolish because not only could the gift cards be tracked, they could easily be made inactive on Apple's end after "payment"......This is curious....

Despite being careful and using several programs designed to prevent such an event, I have had one brush about a year ago with a virus, which came through as part of an Adobe Acrobat file and that resulted in my machine being locked down and a demand for ransom. I immediately stopped using the machine and while I had everything backed up on a portable hard drive which isn't connected to the system, it was the hostage taking of the machine which "torqued me off".

I proceeded to take the laptop to our "play land area", put a dozen Black Talon rounds through it and then 3 pounds of Tannerite under it, with a cement block underneath and on top of the laptop and a precisely fired .223 round from about 100 yards and PRESTO, the machine was dust..........well, millions of tiny pieces spread over about a 30 yard circle out in the swampy part of the 40 acres......I don't like the ransom idea.......
    mjncad, BillieS, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    One of the things the "hackers' offered to accept was the Bitcoin, which makes sense. However, their offer to accept $100k in Apple or I Tunes Gift Cards seems pretty foolish because not only could the gift cards be tracked, they could easily be made inactive on Apple's end after "payment"......This is curious....

Despite being careful and using several programs designed to prevent such an event, I have had one brush about a year ago with a virus, which came through as part of an Adobe Acrobat file and that resulted in my machine being locked down and a demand for ransom. I immediately stopped using the machine and while I had everything backed up on a portable hard drive which isn't connected to the system, it was the hostage taking of the machine which "torqued me off".

I proceeded to take the laptop to our "play land area", put a dozen Black Talon rounds through it and then 3 pounds of Tannerite under it, with a cement block underneath and on top of the laptop and a precisely fired .223 round from about 100 yards and PRESTO, the machine was dust..........well, millions of tiny pieces spread over about a 30 yard circle out in the swampy part of the 40 acres......I don't like the ransom idea.......
    Sounds like you may have some serious anger issues, but I like it. (J/K) Now if you can find out who the hackers are, stuff that 3lbs of Tannerite up their wazoo, that would be a site worth paying for.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
    Sounds like you may have some serious anger issues, but I like it. (J/K) Now if you can find out who the hackers are, stuff that 3lbs of Tannerite up their wazoo, that would be a site worth paying for.
    No serious anger issues. Actually, you will probably never meet a calmer, level headed guy........But I do believe in complete resolution to a problem and the Tannerite is definitely a complete resolution to the hacker held hostage computer.

Plus it's not like I need a reason to practice shooting and we always blow things up for entertainment.......Not everyone can appreciate the fun in a well planned explosion of an item which you want to thoroughly eliminate. I know my wife doesn't see the enjoyment in a well planned explosion, but I also personally fail to see the enjoyment in needle pointing.....
    BigJim55, mark02tj and spferdil like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post

Hiya,

You do realize all you had to do was "format /MBR" from a bootable USB or CD and then load a new OS on it right? However, I do like your solution but it is costly if it was a newer laptop.

In all seriousness, the easiest way to stop the majority of bad stuff is to read your mail as plain text, only open attachments from people you trust after you scan them and make sure your logging in with standard user rights, not any type of root or admin rights. If you do those 3 things, you avoid 99.99% of nasty stuff
    BigJim55 and johnH123 like this.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomd999 View Post
    Hiya,

You do realize all you had to do was "format /MBR" from a bootable USB or CD and then load a new OS on it right? However, I do like your solution but it is costly if it was a newer laptop.

In all seriousness, the easiest way to stop the majority of bad stuff is to read your mail as plain text, only open attachments from people you trust after you scan them and make sure your logging in with standard user rights, not any type of root or admin rights. If you do those 3 things, you avoid 99.99% of nasty stuff
    While you are technically correct, that is typically a LONG and arduous journey. Rebuilding a laptop from scratch is a giant PITA because of all of the gyrations you'll end up going through with patches, drivers, updates, and such. It's far simpler to take the older, slower machine and toss it, spend a few hundred and get the latest and greatest.

Or, buy a Mac.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
    While you are technically correct, that is typically a LONG and arduous journey. Rebuilding a laptop from scratch is a giant PITA because of all of the gyrations you'll end up going through with patches, drivers, updates, and such. It's far simpler to take the older, slower machine and toss it, spend a few hundred and get the latest and greatest.

Or, buy a Mac.
    Hiya,

Long and arduous? A Win10 install from a DVD will take about 20 minutes on a notebook with an SSD drive. It will have all the drivers included and it will update itself in the background as you are using it.

Regarding a Mac, Steve Jobs was a brilliant businessman to this day, he manages to get people to voluntary pay 2 to 3x more for his Intel based laptops than the same Intel hardware running Windows or Linux.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to have a nice laptop, I recommend either HP Elitebook or Dell Latitude series refurbished business notebooks, you can get them for around 3-400 bucks with a warranty with Windows 10. I'm typing this on a HP Elitebook 9470m, i7-quad core, 16G RAM, 240G SSD running Win10 Pro that I paid $279 for a few months ago, that's 10x cheaper than a new Macbook Pro, i7, 16G 250G SSD
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomd999 View Post
    Hiya,

Long and arduous? A Win10 install from a DVD will take about 20 minutes on a notebook with an SSD drive. It will have all the drivers included and it will update itself in the background as you are using it.

Regarding a Mac, Steve Jobs was a brilliant businessman to this day, he manages to get people to voluntary pay 2 to 3x more for his Intel based laptops than the same Intel hardware running Windows or Linux.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to have a nice laptop, I recommend either HP Elitebook or Dell Latitude series refurbished business notebooks, you can get them for around 3-400 bucks with a warranty with Windows 10. I'm typing this on a HP Elitebook 9470m, i7-quad core, 16G RAM, 240G SSD running Win10 Pro that I paid $279 for a few months ago, that's 10x cheaper than a new Macbook Pro, i7, 16G 250G SSD
    That's not even a logical mathematical argument.

As far as Mac vs. PC, we will agree to disagree. You look at the cost. I look at Value and TCO. Mac crushes WinTel. My MacBook is three years old, has gone through three major OS upgrades (all free), and runs like the day I bought it. Literally. Zero slow-down. I will have it for at least two more years if not more, and expect absolutely no change in performance.

When you factor in all of the "extra" work that goes into rebuilding a machine (migrating files, re-installing applications, customizing settings, etc.), you have to put a value on the time it takes. I've used Windows and Linux for decades. Linux blows Windows away for security, stability, and flexibility. But, it lacks sorely in the usability department as a desktop OS because there aren't commercial products like Office.

Mac brings ALL of the best features of Linux and combines it with commercial software availability.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    No question for me that I prefer a PC over a Mac. I like Linux, just as I liked Unix that it is based on when I was still working, but for my use now its more of a novelty than anything very useful. As for Macs, I've never seen anything about one that would justify the price difference between it and a PC. And for my use I can find anything, software and hardware, that will work with a PC, but for a Mac, maybe (but will probably be more expensive), or maybe not at all.

But its good to have choices, what's best for one may not be for another. I also much prefer a desktop to a laptop, even if I have to build it. I like a big monitor and a real keyboard and mouse.

The best way I've found to prevent having to re-setup a PC is be very careful of what you do online, of course a good anti-virus, but most important is regular backups. A good backup program can be scheduled to do regular backups automatically. I have mine set to do backups every night after I go to bed.

Seems like I see more Mac users grumbling about them recently than usual, even die-hard users. Like this guy:

From Mac to PC
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

12. Top | #10
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,295 Times in 2,584 Posts
    Why must almost every computer thread become a Mac vs PC debate?
    cheesetrain likes this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast