Windows 7 - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Windows 7

1. Top | #11
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:08 AM
    Thanks
    I'm no fan of Windows, but have to use it at work. We had XP Pro for years - our company didn't switch when Vista came out, and only rolled out Windows 7 on us last year. The delay on the latter was due to getting some of our programs compatible with Win 7.

At home I use a Mac. I had a PC with XP and hated it. Bought a Mac in 2006, and still have it, and now I have several Macs at home. Other than not being able to run some of your familiar programs on a Mac, I would recommend a Mac to you. The Intel Macs are great, and with being able to run Windows on one, makes it even better. From what I been told, a Mac runs Windows better than a Windows based machine. You can get an Intel Mac to run both a Mac OS and Windows.

I haven't tried Windows 8, but Windows 7 is okay on the PCs I've used (my work laptop and my daughter's desktop PC). But, I will always buy a Mac for myself and my wife.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #12
    Last Online
    02-17-2014 @ 04:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    I have been using Windows 7, for a few years now, and really have just begun to feel comfortable with it. I used XP for ages, and really liked it, but was forced by a computer crash to go kicking and screaming into 7, a couple of years ago.

Now that Windows 8 is out, and I'm sure more things will follow, and refurb. laptops with Win 7 on them are so cheap, I want to get another to have as a back up. Which brings me to my question....

I can get a unit with Win 7 Pro on it, for $20 more than Win 7 Home Premium. I have been using Home Premium. Is the Pro something I will need, or use? Will everything that runs on the Home Premium run on Pro? Is there any advantage to having Pro, since, at some point, I'll have to be dragged to another unit and system?

Forgive my lack of knowledge or talent in this venue. And yes, I am sure I could get used to Win 8, but not this week, when I can get a complete back up machine so cheaply. I have most of my stuff on a portable hard drive, so can just move it over, if everything is the same, or completely compatable. I found some things on portable hard drives did not transfer well for me from the XP to the Win 7.

Thanks for any insight. And remember, I am tech challenged, so use little words, and type slowly!

Edit; And yes, I even misspelled Windows in the subject. All of the lettering has come off of the keys on this laptop, and my typing stinks on a good day anyway.

I'm not a fan of Windows 8 (or Windows in general - another Mac guy here ). However, I do have to use Windows at work, and on a PC at home to connect to work and prefer 7 to 8. I do think that Windows 7 is the most stable version of Windows that I've used... with of course, the 9 million updates applied.

You won't gain much going with the Pro over the Home Premium. Pro has Remote Desktop Host, Presentation Mode, XP Mode, Encrypting File System, ability to support more Ram and stuff like that. Mostly stuff that very people need, and that even fewer know how to use.

Good luck, and have fun with your new PC.
    Dave

2011 - X320
    2000 - LX-288 - Gone, but not forgotten
    1988 - 240 - Long Gone, but probably still running

4. Top | #13
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:07 PM
    Thanks
    I've been wanting to get a Mac for a few years, I just haven't been able to justify the higher cost yet. Windows PC's and laptops are so inexpensive in comparison. However, a Mac will be in my future soon. Do you notice that the big viruses don't usually affect Macs?

Currently running Win7 Home Premium at home and my only real complaint is that I cannot run backup on the 2 network drives (not USB) I have on my home network. Home premium recognizes the drives for file storage but says they cannot be used for backup, some research I did a while back says I need Win7 Pro to do that, so I just manually copy my files to the network drives as my backup. Otherwise Home Premium does what I need it for.

On another note, I backup my files and photos on 2 separate network drives. A good friend of ours had a bad experience that I want to share. He did the right thing by backing up his files fairly frequently. But one day he started running out of storage on his laptop, so instead of buying a larger drive, he started deleting some files from his laptop. He had a backup right? Well, one day his backup drive crashed! Moral of this story, a backup is a backup and should not be used for primary storage.

Just my 2 cents.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #14
    Last Online
    03-28-2016 @ 01:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomfive View Post
    IDo you notice that the big viruses don't usually affect Macs?

That is not because the OS is so much more safe, it is because the critical mass is not there to make it worth the while to create a virus for them.. One of my good friends used to be IT director for the largest US banking system, and I have this wisdom from him. Mac's are as vulnerable as any other PC, but there are so few of them around! There is a reason that no big company uses Mac's for their networks, because Mac software is more expensive (for the same reason that there are not many viruses), and some software cannot be had. Mac's can now believe they are PC's, but no PC was made to believe it is a Mac, wonder why?
    RsZk likes this.

7. Top | #15
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:35 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomfive View Post
    I've been wanting to get a Mac for a few years, I just haven't been able to justify the higher cost yet. Windows PC's and laptops are so inexpensive in comparison. However, a Mac will be in my future soon. Do you notice that the big viruses don't usually affect Macs?

Currently running Win7 Home Premium at home and my only real complaint is that I cannot run backup on the 2 network drives (not USB) I have on my home network. Home premium recognizes the drives for file storage but says they cannot be used for backup, some research I did a while back says I need Win7 Pro to do that, so I just manually copy my files to the network drives as my backup. Otherwise Home Premium does what I need it for.

On another note, I backup my files and photos on 2 separate network drives. A good friend of ours had a bad experience that I want to share. He did the right thing by backing up his files fairly frequently. But one day he started running out of storage on his laptop, so instead of buying a larger drive, he started deleting some files from his laptop. He had a backup right? Well, one day his backup drive crashed! Moral of this story, a backup is a backup and should not be used for primary storage.

Just my 2 cents.
    You backup problem to a network drive is due to not using a software package that allows that. I use NTI to backup to a network drive. Anytime a file changes on my server, it automatically backs it up to the network drive. I also use Crashplan for my online catastrophic backup. It also allows backup from the network drive to the online site. The default backup plan in Crashplan automatically backs up a file change as soon as it changes.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

8. Top | #16
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
    That is not because the OS is so much more safe, it is because the critical mass is not there to make it worth the while to create a virus for them.. One of my good friends used to be IT director for the largest US banking system, and I have this wisdom from him. Mac's are as vulnerable as any other PC, but there are so few of them around! There is a reason that no big company uses Mac's for their networks, because Mac software is more expensive (for the same reason that there are not many viruses), and some software cannot be had. Mac's can now believe they are PC's, but no PC was made to believe it is a Mac, wonder why?
    I'm a Mac guy, and I agree. If there were as many Mac's out there as PC's, the numbers would be a lot closer. Still, the Unix foundation with the OSX layer does do some sandboxing and other things that help prevent things from getting out of hand.

Plus, IMHO, Mac's have better hardware... but you do PAY for it. I'm the first one to admit that. However, I see some premium Windows machines that are getting close to the Mac prices. I do fear that with Steve gone, things might go downhill at some point.
    arlen and Trav1s like this.
    Dave

2011 - X320

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave T For This Useful Post:

Trav1s (09-11-2014)

10. Top | #17
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:26 PM
    Thanks
    I think a PC vs. MAC debate could/should be a thread all its own.

Plus, IMHO, Mac's have better hardware... but you do PAY for it
    Well maybe on lower end or middle of the road machines,but not when it comes to high end PC's. Really nothing against MAC,but if you're a serious gamer (like me),a MAC is not for you.
    RsZk likes this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

11. Top | #18
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:26 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberShanks View Post
    Yup, and the majority of them are still running XP or older...

Read up about the Windows versions out there and how Micro$oft is going to try and force everyone away from the older ones by April, 2014.

Only user based ones with support (patches, fixes, security updates, etc..) will be Vista, 7, and 8. So in reality, that means 7... ;)

Jim
    Hi Jim,
    Yes,patches and updates and such are still GTG,but DX11.1 (full version) is Win 8 only. Right now there isn't much of a difference between DX11 and DX11.1,but as they keep progressing with it, Win 7 users that refuse to jump on the 8 bandwagon will be left out.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

12. Top | #19
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I think a PC vs. MAC debate could/should be a thread all its own.

Well maybe on lower end or middle of the road machines,but not when it comes to high end PC's. Really nothing against MAC,but if you're a serious gamer (like me),a MAC is not for you.
    Again, for the most part, I would have to agree. If your willing to spend the money on the new Mac Pro Tower, I would think you could play any game you want, but that's a LOT of money to play games. We play games on the Xbox (yes I know... Windows ), or the wife plays the simple games on her IPad.

No intent to debate. It's nice that we have choices. If all the machines were Windows, or Mac's, or Linux, or whatever, you can bet we wouldn't have near as good machines... there would be no reason for the manufactures to do so without competition.
    Dave

2011 - X320

13. Top | #20

Last Online
    03-15-2016 @ 09:40 PM
    Thanks
    Hey Farmgirl.
    As a computer consultant, I get to see all the latest tech from mobile phone OS'es and of course the many versions of Windows OS'es and Mac.
    Most individual users only need a basic OS to get the things done that they need to get done just like you referred. Windows 7 Home or Pro will work with you and you won't even see any differences in the way you currently do things.

Windows 8 is a steep learning curve and the 8.1 update has improved things dramatically. It still requires about 6-8 weeks to digest all the new and different things in the OS, but once you do, it is actually quite navigable. Having said that, if you have Windows 7, I wouldn't see the need to upgrade to 8.

If you need a new machine, why not go to Windows 8, as you are going to have to learn it sooner or later with the way technology is speeding along. If you change out to Mac, be prepared for a similar learning curve as it is quite a different OS than Windows.

I hope this is clearer than mud...
    Rod

2013 John Deere 3520 Hi Spec CAB LCUT, 300CX Loader, 73" Heavy duty bucket w/ replaceable cutting edge, iMatch, JD Ballast box, Frontier SB1164 snowblower
    2009 Grasshopper 723 Zero turn, 52" Front mount deck

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RsZk For This Useful Post:

farmgirl19 (12-28-2013)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast