Thread: Windows 7

1. Top | #1
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts

Windows 7

I have been using Windows 7, for a few years now, and really have just begun to feel comfortable with it. I used XP for ages, and really liked it, but was forced by a computer crash to go kicking and screaming into 7, a couple of years ago.

Now that Windows 8 is out, and I'm sure more things will follow, and refurb. laptops with Win 7 on them are so cheap, I want to get another to have as a back up. Which brings me to my question....

I can get a unit with Win 7 Pro on it, for $20 more than Win 7 Home Premium. I have been using Home Premium. Is the Pro something I will need, or use? Will everything that runs on the Home Premium run on Pro? Is there any advantage to having Pro, since, at some point, I'll have to be dragged to another unit and system?

Forgive my lack of knowledge or talent in this venue. And yes, I am sure I could get used to Win 8, but not this week, when I can get a complete back up machine so cheaply. I have most of my stuff on a portable hard drive, so can just move it over, if everything is the same, or completely compatable. I found some things on portable hard drives did not transfer well for me from the XP to the Win 7.

Thanks for any insight. And remember, I am tech challenged, so use little words, and type slowly!

Edit; And yes, I even misspelled Windows in the subject. All of the lettering has come off of the keys on this laptop, and my typing stinks on a good day anyway.
    Last edited by farmgirl19; 12-27-2013 at 01:59 PM. Reason: no typing skills
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    02-28-2019 @ 01:30 PM
    Thanks
    Win 7 home premium will not hold you back from anything with typical home use. I would not recommend 8 unless you are ready for a descent learning curve and have a touch screen computer or laptop for it.

Jim
    Hudsoner and drichers like this.
    '11 3005 4wd R4s w/300 & 60" Std w/Pirahna tb, Artillian 36" forks, Custom 83" SnowBear front blade, Frontier RB2060 blade, King Kutter TG-G-60 tiller and RFM-72 mower, Spee-Co Model-65 phd, Fimco LG-40-3PT sprayer, Tarter SUBY and TMY, Agri-Fab 24x48LR lawn roller & John Deere BW15073 and 6x42lb weights.
    '12 ZTrak Pro 925A-EFi w/60" 7-Iron, AgriFab SmartLink w/(aerator/dethacher/roller), 130lb Spreader & 350lb Poly Cart.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CyberShanks For This Useful Post:

farmgirl19 (12-27-2013)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts
    I've traditionally steered clear of the "Home" versions of any the various OS's. There are several differences in Win 7 Pro vs. Home Premium. Off the top of my head... Pro supports more memory ( > 16GB), supports encryption, remote desktop, domain membership and XP Mode.

You can search online and probably locate a few more differences. Unless Win 7 Pro is breaking the bank you will not regret it. I've never heard any of my colleages say "Darn, I sure wish I would have gotten the Home version instead" but I have certainly heard the reverse more times than I care to count.

Only you can decide if the cost difference is justified.

And I second and third the opinion of the other poster... avoid Win8 for now or forever if you can. I'm hoping it will eventually join WinME and Vista as the trifecta of Microsoft OS blunders. And that's coming from someone who uses a PC for way more than Internet, Email, Games and Music.
    drichers likes this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

farmgirl19 (12-27-2013)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I'm hoping it will eventually join WinME and Vista as the trifecta of Microsoft OS blunders.
    DOS 3.3 was the last stable Microsoft operating system.
    andy b. and felixm22 like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to arlen For This Useful Post:

farmgirl19 (12-27-2013)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    I used DOS 5.01 a few years ago. I actually liked it better than any of the Windows OS!

Thanks for the input! I don't use the computer for much more than internet, email, and games. I have a 5 GB limit on data, per 30 day cycle, so don't do much else besides email, and the forum on the internet. The business program that I used to use with XP, is not compatable with Win 7. Improvements are not always good, for me.

And no, I do NOT have a touch screen computer, nor do I want one. I didn't even consider that part about Win 8, so thanks for telling me!

Cost is not an issue between the two. For the price of the Pro version, I can buy the Home version and pay the sales tax too. Not a huge difference. Certainly not the deciding factor. I just didn't know if the two would be 100% interchangable. I don't know that I need the Pro version, since I have been using Home Premium for 3 years now, and can't say that I need more than it offers. I probably don't use it to the fullest, since I am not very computer literate.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I've traditionally steered clear of the "Home" versions of any the various OS's. There are several differences in Win 7 Pro vs. Home Premium. Off the top of my head... Pro supports more memory ( > 16GB), supports encryption, remote desktop, domain membership and XP Mode.

You can search online and probably locate a few more differences. Unless Win 7 Pro is breaking the bank you will not regret it. I've never heard any of my colleages say "Darn, I sure wish I would have gotten the Home version instead" but I have certainly heard the reverse more times than I care to count.

Only you can decide if the cost difference is justified.

And I second and third the opinion of the other poster... avoid Win8 for now or forever if you can. I'm hoping it will eventually join WinME and Vista as the trifecta of Microsoft OS blunders. And that's coming from someone who uses a PC for way more than Internet, Email, Games and Music.
    I don't mean to sound stupid, but I really have no idea what all of that means, except for supporting more memory. I like the idea about an XP mode, because I have a couple of programs that couldn't make it onto the current laptop, due to them being XP, and this one being 7.

Like I said, I need small words, and slow typing! Thanks ever so kindly for the info.

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    I have been using Windows 7, for a few years now, and really have just begun to feel comfortable with it. I used XP for ages, and really liked it, but was forced by a computer crash to go kicking and screaming into 7, a couple of years ago.

Now that Windows 8 is out, and I'm sure more things will follow, and refurb. laptops with Win 7 on them are so cheap, I want to get another to have as a back up. Which brings me to my question....

I can get a unit with Win 7 Pro on it, for $20 more than Win 7 Home Premium. I have been using Home Premium. Is the Pro something I will need, or use? Will everything that runs on the Home Premium run on Pro? Is there any advantage to having Pro, since, at some point, I'll have to be dragged to another unit and system?

Forgive my lack of knowledge or talent in this venue. And yes, I am sure I could get used to Win 8, but not this week, when I can get a complete back up machine so cheaply. I have most of my stuff on a portable hard drive, so can just move it over, if everything is the same, or completely compatable. I found some things on portable hard drives did not transfer well for me from the XP to the Win 7.

Thanks for any insight. And remember, I am tech challenged, so use little words, and type slowly!

Edit; And yes, I even misspelled Windows in the subject. All of the lettering has come off of the keys on this laptop, and my typing stinks on a good day anyway.
    For your use, Home version will work just fine. Look at the other specs to make your decision.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ddinham For This Useful Post:

farmgirl19 (12-27-2013)

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-01-2015 @ 08:16 AM
    Thanks
    Unless you are in a corporate network (many computers connected to a network with servers)... NO need for 7 Pro...
    Premium is just a fluffy pillow version of Home (flat plain pillow), so either will do.

Windows 8 IS terrible (as was Vista, ME, 98). I find windows 8.1 to have fixed most of the stupidity of 8... Some of the rest of the stupidity of 8 is kind of required to "modernize" the interface for touch screen monitors.

I also would not recommend 8.1 either... but ONLY because you have found pain moving from XP to 7, moving from 7 to 8.1 will be JUST as much pain (or more).

I say this as I've been pretty progressive over the last 14 years as a network admin... I've used every windows OS from 3.1 to 8.1... I've put off rolling out windows 8... I have only in the last week relented and agreed to roll out 8.1, for only more advanced users.
    Hudsoner likes this.
    Deere 3005 with 300 loader, 7 foot Back Blade, and #7 Backhoe. Someone asked me to go green, so this is what I came up with.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SHNOOL For This Useful Post:

farmgirl19 (12-28-2013)

16. Top | #9
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:34 PM
    Thanks
    I also agree with those saying home version is good enough.

It just sucks how MS forces you into OS versions. They stopped updating DirectX for 7. Gearing it towards 8 now. What a crock. I sure hope 8 flops enough that they come to their senses that not everyone is tablet,phone ,or laptop happy. You would have thought that MS would have used a couple bucks for a platform survey. Surely they would have found there are still a s**t load of PC users out there.
    andy b. and Hudsoner like this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

17. The Following User Says Thank You to glc For This Useful Post:

farmgirl19 (12-28-2013)

18. Top | #10
    Last Online
    02-28-2019 @ 01:30 PM
    Thanks
    Yup, and the majority of them are still running XP or older...

Read up about the Windows versions out there and how Micro$oft is going to try and force everyone away from the older ones by April, 2014.

Only user based ones with support (patches, fixes, security updates, etc..) will be Vista, 7, and 8. So in reality, that means 7... ;)

Jim
    '11 3005 4wd R4s w/300 & 60" Std w/Pirahna tb, Artillian 36" forks, Custom 83" SnowBear front blade, Frontier RB2060 blade, King Kutter TG-G-60 tiller and RFM-72 mower, Spee-Co Model-65 phd, Fimco LG-40-3PT sprayer, Tarter SUBY and TMY, Agri-Fab 24x48LR lawn roller & John Deere BW15073 and 6x42lb weights.
    '12 ZTrak Pro 925A-EFi w/60" 7-Iron, AgriFab SmartLink w/(aerator/dethacher/roller), 130lb Spreader & 350lb Poly Cart.

19. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast