Thread: Online Backup?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,549 Posts

Question Online Backup?

Anybody use Mozy or Carbonite?

I signed up for Carbonite today to try it...seems like good insurance.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    05-22-2015 @ 12:30 PM
    Thanks
    I have an Ftp site that i sort of use. Mostly just use an external hard drive.
    John Deere GS45

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    05-26-2019 @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks
    Our neck of the woods is about to be dragged kicking and screaming into the late 90's as we get DSL. At that time, I'll look at an on line backup service.

Right now, I have a 2G disk that uses the Apple "time machine" stuff, as well as a physically separate drive on my MAC that I copy select things to. I also have a USB drive that gets a selective copy, and on occasion I either RTP or Samba stuff over to the Unix box.

So the Time Machine stuff protects me from myself in the short time (minutes). Time Machine, the USB drive, the Unix box and the separate drive protect against drive failure.

What's missing in this picture is off site storage. I have on occasion cut DVDs with data on them, but it's not frequently enough. So once I have some speed > 600K bps, I'll use an online service (probably carbonite). While I hate yet another entity pulling money out of my wallet as the ones and zeros fly, I'd hate loosing everything I'd work on in a 3-6 month period if the place burned down. At that time, I'll check out the trial offer. I need to limit the backup to certain data, not everything on the machine. Even just backing up the separate drive would be fine, as I would still copy things that I wanted to _really_ save.

Right now, I've got about 110 GB of stuff that needs saving. I have about 400 GB on the machine, which has 2.2G of disk on it. The Time Machine has 2G on it, it backs up this machine and some others. The Unix box has a 1.5G on it. And a decade ago a gigabyte seemed so big...

Any automated backup system is a big win. The on line ones are a great idea.

Pete
    '09 JD4520 Cab (60HP), '97 KubotaB21 TLB (21HP), 400cx loader, MX6 rotary mower, SB1106 6' Sickle Bar, BB3272 6' box blade, GradeMaster 7' Landplane, Frontier AF11E Front Blade, 4' Pallet Forks, 6' landscape rake, ballast box, Woods GTC 40" tiller, PHD 9" auger, 4' x 8' chain harrow, '16 X755 (23HP Diesel) w/front PTO, 60" deck, 72" front blade, '90 JD318 (18HP gas) with 48" MM mower, 54" front blade, 47" snowblower.
    Volunteer Firefighter.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Thanks
    I haven't used online backup; but I think there is a market for the service now that broadband access is more common.

However; one has to keep the following things in mind when entrusting your backup data to a third party. Privacy from prying eyes, both internal and external (hackers). Reliability. How long does it take to backup data. Can you customize the backup routine to suit your needs? How quick can you retrieve something you lost on your hard drive? Subscription costs. What happens if the company gets bought, sold, or goes tits up?

I use a Synology DS211j DiskStation with 2TB of RAID 1 capacity as my backup solution for my desktop and the wife's laptop. I use the native NTBACKUP on my XP box, and Win 7's native backup on my wife's laptop. I like the old NTBACKUP better as I can customize it better to my liking.

The downside to my system is potential fire or theft of the drive unit. Although I can easily disconnect the external drive and put it in a safe or safe deposit box. The DiskStation is treated as a NAS (Network Attached Storage) server on my network.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    05-22-2015 @ 12:30 PM
    Thanks
    Buy 2 drives. Keep one plugged in and the other in a waterproof fire safe. Swap monthly.
    John Deere GS45

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    05-13-2011 @ 03:41 PM
    Thanks
    I use dropbox.com (referral link).

You get 2gb of online storage for free, and it looks like another folder on your computer you can just copy stuff to.

I also put a ton of photos on photobucket, I figure they are less likely to lose them than I am..

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements