Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Windows XP...Help!

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:45 PM
    Thanks

Windows XP...Help!

I have an old computer, with Windows XP, sp3. Let me say right off I am not very computer literate, although I do spend a lot of time on it. Recently, my computer has taken on its own personality...all of a sudden, the cursor, on its own volition, opens every tab it crosses, resulting in stuff popping up on the screen I never dreamed of. I can eventually get it all off, but sometimes I have to reboot. I have run AVG and Superantispyware, and nothing, not even a little bug. In addition, sometimes it is sloooooow! Any thoughts? Yeah, I know, it's time for a new computer, although I am comfortable with this one when it works correctly.

Thanks in advance,
    Dennis
    Superglidesport likes this.
    Have wings, will travel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,089 Times in 2,254 Posts
    Do you have another mouse to try? Sounds like the left button on your mouse might be stuck or shorting.
    Jim Timber and Treefarmer like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:45 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Do you have another mouse to try? Sounds like the left button on your mouse might be stuck or shorting.
    Hmm. Never thought of that...yeah, I do think I have a box of speakers, keyboards and "mice" some where around here.
    Have wings, will travel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:15 PM
    Thanks
    I agree. It sounds like a sticking mouse. They do wear out.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,073 Times in 2,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    They do wear out.
    I go through one a year...I use a Logitech Performance MX one and the switch goes out on it.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:15 PM
    Thanks
    I found a long time ago that if I stick with a Microsoft mouse, I have better luck than with any of the others. Currently I am using a Microsoft Arc Mouse and it is 4 years old, but still works flawlessly. It is wireless and I like it because I can flatten it to shut it off to save battery. Secondly, when I need to take my laptop somewhere in my travel case, the Arc mouse takes up very little room in it's flattened state. It costs a little more up front, but pays off in the long run.

Dave

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	400890
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,089 Times in 2,254 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I go through one a year...I use a Logitech Performance MX one and the switch goes out on it.
    My favorite also. Mine is starting to act up. I tried to open it to clean it but don't see how. Blew some air under the buttons and it helped a little. Never had a switch problem since I never use it.

Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    I found a long time ago that if I stick with a Microsoft mouse, I have better luck than with any of the others. Currently I am using a Microsoft Arc Mouse and it is 4 years old, but still works flawlessly. It is wireless and I like it because I can flatten it to shut it off to save battery. Secondly, when I need to take my laptop somewhere in my travel case, the Arc mouse takes up very little room in it's flattened state. It costs a little more up front, but pays off in the long run.

Dave

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	400890
    Now that is cool - never saw a mouse like that.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    I definitely second (or third or fourth?) the idea of trying a different mouse. Even if you have to buy one to test with, you can get simple USB mice for under $10 at Walmart.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-01-2019 @ 09:46 PM
    Thanks
    download and run malwarebytes.org. its free. takes a while to scan. you can pay for premium if you want tho.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by feasant View Post
    download and run malwarebytes.org. its free. takes a while to scan. you can pay for premium if you want tho.
    Malwarebytes is a good program, but sometimes what it shows you for info is a bit "deep" for some folks. There are forums where you can post the output of the program and they'll help you to decipher if there's an issue (and what to do about it).

For this specific instance, I'm sticking with the suggestion to check another mouse before doing anything else.
    etcallhome likes this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast