Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Chromebox anyone?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts

Chromebox anyone?

I won't get into the whole story, but I am ready to move on from my desktop PC.

I use my iPad 95% of the time now, but it would just feel weird not to have my big monitor, keyboard, and mouse on my desk.

So I really don't want or need to get into another Windows PC. And don't really want a laptop as my iPad is very comfortable on my lap in my chair.

I then discovered the Chromebox. This looks like it would be a good solution. Yes, I know, I wouldn't have any Windows programs anymore but just don't use them. And as far as storage I would just use the Google Cloud (Drive?). I would back up all my documemts in the cloud and all my images on thumb drives.

I haven't heard much about the Chromebox. We did buy Mrs. C's parents a Chromebook a few years ago who are basically computer illiterate. I set it up for them along with their WiFi and have never had a "tech call" from them in all these years.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

2. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

DRobinson†(06-30-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Thanks
    Not sure about chrome box. If you don't use it much why not get a laptop? It works like a computer but can easily be moved and transported if need be.

As far as storage I use google drive, box, etc. I also use a 1tb drive that plugs into my computer/router which I save all my photos and stuff to. And since it's hooked up to my router I can access it from anywhere with my iPhone/iPad.

https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-chromebox/review/
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isnít paying attention*

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Don't need a laptop - my iPad is plenty portable.

I am used to working at my desk. I not it is not the norm these days but I like to be anchored to my desk for important stuff. I don't purchase anything or do anything important on my iPad.
    Marlin likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    Chromebook/Chromebox is a good alternative to a Windows laptop/pc. Good price point and everything saved to your Google Drive account. You'll never have to worry about the laptop crashing and still have the ability to access your files anytime from anywhere.

3025e
    Last edited by buckteeth445; 07-01-2017 at 09:47 AM.
    coaltrain likes this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well, disaster averted for now. I was able to format my PC primary drive and reinstall Windows 10.

But I am convinced that I will go with a Chromebox as a replacement when the time comes. Same goes for Mrs.C's PC which is older than mine.

I thought my C drive had become corrupted some how. It is a 128gb SSD and the only thing on it was the OS. But it kept filling up to capacity on its own.
    Last edited by coaltrain; 07-01-2017 at 10:07 AM.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Well, disaster averted for now. I was able to format my PC primary drive and reinstall Windows 10.

But I am convinced that I will go with a Chromebox as a replacement when the time comes. Same goes for Mrs.C's PC which is older than mine.

I thought my C drive had become corrupted some how. It is a 128gb SSD and the only thing on it was the OS. But it kept filling up to capacity on its own.
    Was that one of the free win10 upgrades or was windows 10 native to that PC?

3025e

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Don't need a laptop - my iPad is plenty portable.

I am used to working at my desk. I not it is not the norm these days but I like to be anchored to my desk for important stuff. I don't purchase anything or do anything important on my iPad.
    Understandable. I Just built a house and I built a desk for two in the office. Was trying to figure out what to put in there because we don't use computers enough to buy a new expensive ones, but at the same time it's very important to me when I need it. I use it mostly for bidding trim work off of digital plans. So much easier than the paper plans and ruler.

Luckily before I bought one or two my wife's company was throwing away. Yes, throwing away 2 macs that had windows installed on them. I built the desk but have yet to install them since the office has turned into a storage room at the moment.
    We will be cleaning that up and getting the macs in there soon as we will need them in a few weeks. I'll also be cleaning the macs from windows and putting the Mac OS back on it.

That's great about your computer. Gives you more time to review and study your options. Then keep checking every week for sales and discounts.
    coaltrain and johnH123 like this.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isnít paying attention*

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buckteeth445 View Post
    Was that one of the free win10 upgrades or was windows 10 native to that PC?

3025e
    I used the Microsoft Media Creator here -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...allation-media

I tried it first on the PC itself (recovery option) but kept getting the message that there wasn't enough disk space (needed 8gb). I also had made a recovery USB drive when I first upgraded from 7 to 10 but had the same issue. The only thing on that drive was Windows 10 so I couldn't delete anything to make room. So using the old laptop downloaded from that site and followed the instructions as it went. Worked perfectly!

Of course it didn't save anything but I don't care about that. Now it shows Windows 10 taking ~50gb of space on my 128gb SSD - just like before.

It might have been a virus of some kind - don't know what would make the OS grow like that. I've been running Norton for years plus Malwarebytes at least twice a week. Scans showed nothing amiss.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Have you considered ditching Windows "now" and running a Linux desktop? There are definitely some similarities with the Chromebook / Chromebox in terms of the OS and the look and feel of things. You could even try it all out right now by downloading a "Live" version of one of the different distributions to get a sense for which one you like (just don't click to Install it and it won't touch your hard drive).

You could go with a Raspberry Pi and run Raspbian (their customized version of Debian), but those are different processors and add-on software isn't always simple.

Some things to think about:

- Google gives you 15G of space for free. Things like documents and email consume that space. You can store your photos in Google Photos with no limits so long as you let Google "downscale" the resolution (and those rare photos that are so good you don't want to lose the quality, just email yourself a copy).

- Google offers word processing and spreadsheet programs that you can use online for free. They aren't bad, but they also are NOT equivalent to Word and Excel - so, basic stuff only, really.

- Linux as an operating system is free. It also tends to be a bit less resource hungry and will tolerate older machines fairly well.

I've been an openSUSE guy for a long time. Lots of people use Debian and Ubuntu (I'm not terribly fond of either because the admin side is very different from what I'm used to, although I've been using Ubuntu a bit more of late because it's sort of a necessary evil as part of my home media system). And Linux Mint has gotten a lot of notoriety of late.

https://www.tecmint.com/top-best-lin...ibutions-2016/
    coaltrain likes this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
    Have you considered ditching Windows "now" and running a Linux desktop? There are definitely some similarities with the Chromebook / Chromebox in terms of the OS and the look and feel of things. You could even try it all out right now by downloading a "Live" version of one of the different distributions to get a sense for which one you like (just don't click to Install it and it won't touch your hard drive).

You could go with a Raspberry Pi and run Raspbian (their customized version of Debian), but those are different processors and add-on software isn't always simple.

Some things to think about:

- Google gives you 15G of space for free. Things like documents and email consume that space. You can store your photos in Google Photos with no limits so long as you let Google "downscale" the resolution (and those rare photos that are so good you don't want to lose the quality, just email yourself a copy).

- Google offers word processing and spreadsheet programs that you can use online for free. They aren't bad, but they also are NOT equivalent to Word and Excel - so, basic stuff only, really.

- Linux as an operating system is free. It also tends to be a bit less resource hungry and will tolerate older machines fairly well.

I've been an openSUSE guy for a long time. Lots of people use Debian and Ubuntu (I'm not terribly fond of either because the admin side is very different from what I'm used to, although I've been using Ubuntu a bit more of late because it's sort of a necessary evil as part of my home media system). And Linux Mint has gotten a lot of notoriety of late.

https://www.tecmint.com/top-best-lin...ibutions-2016/
    Thanks for the Linux info! At this junture I should try it - always like experimenting with stuff like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast