Blue tooth and Motorcycle Helmets and GPS SYstems
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Blue tooth and Motorcycle Helmets and GPS SYstems

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,404 Posts

Blue tooth and Motorcycle Helmets and GPS SYstems

I know there are many GTT forum family members who are Motorcycle riders. I am planning a motorcycle trip and would like some input on the actual experience of our esteemed GTT family. I will try to keep this short but I have several questions and am looking for suggestions. Thank you to those who respond to help me make these decisions and use the best equipment for the trip.

If the moderators think this should be posted elsewhere for maximum benefit, please do what you think is best.

Issue Number 1 - Bluetooth for my helmet.

I wear Bose wired ear buds which are plugged into an IPod classic which I wear on my left upper suspender strap under my shirt. The cord goes around the back of my neck and then I have an ear bud in each ear. Once I turn the IPod on, I generally just let it play until I reach in and either pause it or turn it off. I have about 650 songs on the IPod classic and like it outstanding battery life, ease of use plus I am just very familiar with it.

I like the fact that the Bose Ear Buds block out some of the external noise with their tapered fit. They stay in my ears and I have no issues with fit.

My bike has a set of Vance and Hines True Duels and is not annoyingly loud, but certainly not stock quiet. I can hear the music just fine and only when I am hard on the throttle does the music get swallowed up by the exhaust noise. So it's not a concern as I presently use it.

Question 1. - What do others use for listening to the music in their helmets when riding?

Question 2. - Does anyone use the Bluetooth Bose earbuds and if so, what type of battery life do you get between charges? Now, with the cord, I don't have to concern myself. But if I switch to Bluetooth on the ear buds, battery life that is a concern because when I am on the road, I often ride 12 to 15 hours per day and battery life is about 6 hours for the ear buds according to Bose.

Question 3. - My Ipod classic does not permit a bluetooth broadcast signal as it came from the factory. I have tried to add on a device I got from Best Buy to broadcast the signal but it didn't work. If you have any suggestions for a way to access the huge music library I have on the IPod classic so I can broadcast it to either wireless ear buds or helmet mounted speakers, I would like to be aware of the options and best alternatives.

Question 4. - I use a Motorola Droid Razor Turbo (something) phone which I really like. Presently, I have no way to even be aware of calls when I am riding. If I need to make a call I pull over, remove my helmet and remove my phone from it's Otterbox belt clip. Since the phone has a myriad of capabilities., I would like to have it available to me when riding. I suppose I could transfer the music from my Ipod to the phone plus I would have the GPS capabilities of my phone for use, which I have not had before while riding. What is the best technology to have access to the use of my phone, access to my music library as well as having the GPS capabilities for use while riding? I would like it to be as simple as possible, require as little integration as possible to use and to avoid running into battery troubles.

Right now it's 5:38pm , after my phone having been on since 5am today, I still have 90% of my battery life. Obviously, if I start using the phone for music, it will use more battery and the same applies to using the GPS features. I am flexible for using my phone entirely or in combination with my Ipod classic and even a separate GPS system for the motorcycle. I just want the "best" approach for being easiest to use, most dependable and not running into battery trouble. Even on a very heavy phone use day, rarely does my battery on the phone get down below 70% by night time. The battery on this phone is really good.

Question 5. - I have to admit I have not used my phones GPS features other than in a very basic sense when I have verbally asked Google to give me directions to an address. I don't know if the GPS functions on the phone vary from the functions on a stand alone system like a TomTom or Garmin which is designed for motorcycle use and mounts to the handlebars or other "dash areas". Is there a huge advantage to having a separate "stand alone" GPS system for the motorcycle over just using the GPS technology in the phone? I have always been a paper map and tank / dash bag traveler but maybe it's time to use the GPS and have the "old reliable system" of paper maps in the clear pockets on top of the tank bag or dash bag as a back up system. I am looking for instructions about the differences and any distinct advantage one may have other the other (phone GPS verses dedicated stand alone GPS).

Question 6. - I wear a modular full faced flip up style helmet. I am not opposed to having the ear speakers inserted and a microphone inserted into the helmet if it makes the technology easier to use and to avoid any extra or dangerous steps. Do you wear ear buds and have a microphone set up that is not installed in the helmet or is all of your stuff hardwired into the helmet? I like the ear bud approach and how it blocks out some of the external sound. I am concerned that the helmet speakers may not provide the same clarity and noise blocking as the Bose wired ear buds I am using. The Bose system has outstanding sound quality and once you have used it, it's hard to imagine anything else. I am looking for suggestions on the best way to proceed with the microphone in the helmet and for the best sound quality and clarity.

Question 7. - VIDEO, I have a new "GoPro" style camera I plan to use to record much of the trip. I have a bunch of the 32GB and 64GB memory cards for the video files as I travel. While I haven't used the system yet, I plan to before i leave so I am familiar with it. I would like to post video each night of my days travels (highlights obviously) so they can be shared with those interested. I plan on developing a separate website for this information and It will include reviews of the route, establishments I frequent along with tips and suggestions for other travelers and especially two wheel travelers on the same journey. What is the most efficient means to post these video files and even photo's and route tracking online? Is there a specific video editing program or what is the best way to do this? I would inagine the video clips would be a few minutes in length when done, per clip, so those interested can see the highlights of the day. I will be looking for some guidance on posting video and any suggestions on what to avoid or mistakes to not make would be greatly appreciated. I can tell you I have never posted a video even on GTT online, but it can't be that complicated if so many people do it.(not naming any specific names....)

Question 8 - Online / Live Route tracking.
    There are various devices out there including GPS, cellular and satellite tracking which will provide some route tracking and access for those who are interested in following the route. One device which I have used in the past is the SPOT TRACKER, which is supposed to be a combination emergency rescue beacon and general route indicator for those who you grant access to see the "live route". My "SPOT" was very "SPOTTIE" and I would give it a D- of a grade for functioning as it was supposed to or is indicated in the literature. I was unable to get it to send reliable test signals even from my driveway. Plus SPOT uses an annual "Fee" for the service which has to be cancelled within 30 days of the anniversary. They like to use the "Auto renewal" approach to catch as many people as possible in their $149 to $199 "service" fee.

I used the SPOT during a ride from Michigan to Sturgis, South Dakota during the August Black Hills Rally. It was mounted on top of my handlebars with unobstructed view to the sky. I had it set to send route information every few minutes. I encountered a tornado while riding across Iowa and I actually was at one point, within half a mile of the twister.

The winds tried to tear the helmet straight up and off my head, which was really an interesting experience because most of the time, unless you are wearing a parachute of a helmet, the wind is pushing DOWN on your head and not trying to tear the helmet off your shoulders. Of course, one of the few times the SPOT actually did provide the route tracking was when I was in the immediate vicnity of the tornado, which caused property damage and took the lives of a few local Iowa people.

So Mrs. Bear is watching the weather channel and looking online at my SPOT information because she could not reach me by cell phone (I was riding). The SPOT gave her the impression that the tornado consumed me and she was unable to reach me and on the Weather channel, she could see the destruction and reports of several people dead. She was in a panick until I stopped about an hour later to finally call her. I really wish I had the GoPro that day because as I tried to evade the tornado, it seemed to come at me head on. I was taking back road after back road trying to get away from the tornado headed right towards me and the more I turned, the closer the dang thing kept getting. I could see debris flying and finally, I got off my bike and I laid in a road side ditch while it passed by, probably not more than 3/8th of a mile away. Of course after it passed, none of the cell towers in the area worked. Also, I had to flag down a passerby to help me set the Harley back on it's wheels as it tipped over despite my best efforts to keep it upright.

Anyways, if anyone knows of a system which will help me post a live or nearly live route of my trip as I travel, I would like to hear about the product and service. I like the idea of an "Emergency Button" in case I am somewhere that cell service doesn't work. I think this would add to the interest as well as provide me some safety so Mrs. Bear can see where I am most of the time.

Tentative Trip Plans

Departure - As it looks right now, I plan to leave towards the end of July. I have some huge business cases I am concluding and once that is at a point where Mrs. Bear can wrap it up without me, I plan to be on the road.

Estimated total Mileage of Trip -

Home to Detroit - 225 Miles
    Detroit to Mackinaw - 375 miles
    Mackinaw to Drummond - 86 miles
    Drummond to Soo - 70 miles
    Soo to Marquette - 150 miles
    Marquette to Copper Harbor - 140 miles
    Copper Harbor to Hwy 2 - 107 miles
    Hwy 2 to Western Termination end - 2,000 Miles
    Hwy 30 from Western point to Home - 2,460 miles
    Total Trip - 5,523 Miles

The goals for the trip are;

A. - Avoid riding on Interstate Highways unless no other reasonable choice exists.

B. - Support all "Mom and Pop" businesses. Avoid all chain gas stations, restaurants and other national or franchised establishments.

C. - Document the trip so that others can take advantage of the "Old Ways" of doing things, Two Lane Roads, Local Family owned and operated businesses .

D. - Find several unique regional gifts to send back to Mrs. Bear and my canine kids. This means shopping local small towns and looking for home made items and unique things not mass produced. I will ship these purchases back home as I travel.

The rough plan for the trip is to leave S.W. Michigan on highway 12 near New buffalo and go east on 12 to Detroit. Highway 12 was the main business route between Detroit and Chicago prior to the interstate highways. Also, I was raised in a couple of rural small towns along U.S. 12 in Branch and Hillsdale Counties and I would like to go past the old farms to see how they look. I may even stop and see the Amish family I sold the one farm to when I was concluding my grandmothers estate many years ago. I can tell from Google Maps the same family still lives there.

Once in Detroit, I plan to go right through the heart of the city through the new Tigers district where the stadiums for the Red Wings and Lions and Tigers are. I will go north along the coast all the way to Mackinaw City, where I will cross the Mackinaw Bridge and then go east to Drummond Island, which requires a ferry crossing at DeTour Village. This is the eastern most part of Michigan and within a stones throw of Canada at this point.

After some time on Drummond (which lacks consistent cell service in most areas I am told), I will tour along the Superior shoreline to Sault St. Marie and then to Marquette. I plan to proceed up the Keewenaw Pennisula to Copper Harbor and then loop around and come back down to Ontonagon and along lake Michigamme in the U.P. Eventually, I will pick up Highway 2 which I can take all the way to western Washington state. I have taken this route a few times and really like it. It is the northernmost highway which crosses the United States.

Once I reach the western termination of U.S. Highway 2, I plan to go south to pick up U.S. Highway 30 in Oregon, which is also known as the Lincoln Highway. It was the first highway to cross American from the New York area to Western Oregon and back in the early days, San Francisco. I plan to take U.S. Highway 30 back to northern Indiana, which will put me back within 90 minutes of home.

From what I have seen, U.S. Highway 30 is much more intact and not all chopped up and consumed by the Interstate Highways as is "The Mother Road", U.S. Route 66, which I have also ridden from end to end. That was much more difficult and I had to spend a bunch of time trying to back track to cover as much of the original road as possible. There were parts of Route 66 traveling which I really enjoyed including Northern Arizona and New Mexico and even parts of California. But much of the original road is long gone and now has been remarked onto the Interstate highway system. Sadly, I doubt I would ever make the effort to ride Route 66 again because my goal is to avoid the Interstate Highways and travel on the 2 lane roads of America.

So, based upon my broad route description, I will likely pass near some of the GTT members. If they the personal interest and have time to meet and the schedules permit it, I would like to meet some of the GTT people I have talked with over the years.

In Wyoming, It appears that U.S. Highway 30 merges onto I-80 at exit 61 west of Rock Springs and continues on I-80 until it leaves I-80 at Walcott, Wyoming, which looks like Exit 311. It leaves I-80 again around Laramie and then at the shared state line with Nebraska. It looks like Nearly all of Nebraska, much of Iowa and even much of Illionis and Indiana have kept the original 2 lane road of U.S. Highway 30 well marked, separate from the Interstate and navagible. I may even continue east of Northern Indiana to reach the eastern end of the Lincoln Highway for my documentation and photo / video and travelers review.

Thanks to all who respond and provide insight into the equipment they like or dislike. I want to keep it simple, but have the access to the equipment to keep the trip safe and provide the documentation I am looking for.

Also, if you have any suggestions for variations to the route to visit special or unique areas, landmarks, communities, etc., please don't hesitate to suggest them. I plan on being flexible during the trip and not running on a deadline or tight schedule. Thanks again.
    Robnik likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Get a good dedicated blue tooth wireless headset for your helmet. I sold a lot of Scalia rider units. You will have to shop all the different models to find what fits your needs the best. If you were leaving for your trip at the end of July you better get shopping. There's a lot of features to consider.

There was another brand I sold but could never remember the name. It has a red & blue light to program it. If I still worked at the shop I would get you a part number. Sorry.

You will be mounting some expensive equipment. Be sure to get a good mount. You will also need a power point of some kind. Your device battery will eventually drain on a long trip.

Lastly learn how to operate everything before setting off on your bike. Most peeps have a hard enough time just riding the bike. lol
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 06-30-2017 at 06:22 PM.
    SulleyBear and Robnik like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks
    Sully, just my personal preference but I don't wear ear buds because being on a motorcycle I like to be able to see and hear everything going on around me. Too many distracted drivers on the road. And as far as a dedicated GPS I would do as H-D Dealer said and just install a power plug for your phone and use it. I use a waterproof case and mount from LifeProof. The mount I have easily comes off so you can take it into the hotel with you at night. And as far as your route tracking goes there are several decent apps you can dowload on your phone. The versatility of your smart phone makes a trip like yours much easier by utilizing all of its functionality. Buy a good Bluetooth helmet and you can even make calls while riding.
    P.S. Have fun and be safe!
    Last edited by Robnik; 06-30-2017 at 08:40 PM.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robnik View Post
    Sully, just my personal preference but I don't wear ear buds because being on a motorcycle I like to be able to see and hear everything going on around me. Too many distracted drivers on the road. And as far as a dedicated GPS I would do as H-D Dealer said and just install a power plug for your phone and use it. I use a waterproof case and mount from LifeProof. The mount I have easily comes off so you can take it into the hotel with you at night. And as far as your route tracking goes there are several decent apps you can dowload on your phone. The versatility of your smart phone makes a trip like yours much easier by utilizing all of its functionality. Buy a good Bluetooth helmet and you can even make calls while riding.
    Wearing earphones is illegal in some states. I think pa is still one of them. However I have never heard of anyone being pulled over because of it. If you search the web you can find a list of what's legal in what state. Just like having to wear a helmet.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Get a good dedicated blue tooth wireless headset for your helmet. I sold a lot of Scalia rider units. You will have to shop all the different models to find what fits your needs the best. If you were leaving for your trip at the end of July you better get shopping. There's a lot of features to consider.

There was another brand I sold but could never remember the name. It has a red & blue light to program it. If I still worked at the shop I would get you a part number. Sorry.

You will be mounting some expensive equipment. Be sure to get a good mount. You will also need a power point of some kind. Your device battery will eventually drain on a long trip.

Lastly learn how to operate everything before setting off on your bike. Most peeps have a hard enough time just riding the bike. lol
    Thanks for the response. I have power at the handlebars with 2 dedicated 12 volt fused sources which can accept the standard cigarette style plug. I have used it for years for radar detectors, satellite radio, etc. and they work great. So I can use those to power whatever devices I get up front.

The Blue Tooth Universe is almost overwhelming. I can't believe how many options and variations there are. I just want simple, reliable and good quality.

I was at an accident scene last year while riding where a rider on a BMW was trying to do something with his "smart phone" while riding on the interestate and he drove right through the curve and that was the end of him. Hope the call was important because it truly became "Life and Death" for him. You are right, many can't hardly walk and chew gum, let alone ride a motorcycle.

I no longer attend any of the motorcycle charity rides. I simply either drop off my financial donation to support the worthy cause or I send the donation electronically, but I will not ride with a bunch of "twice a year, fair weather local charity riders". My biggest gripe is all of the stupid things which those in the rides do which put other riders at risk. I don't understand why these people riding are more concerned about the social aspect of the ride than they are about not allowing big gaps to form between riders in the group.

When people in cars see a large group of motorcycles and then there are no motorcycles, they assume the group is done so they start to pull out and cross the groups route or even worse yet, break the group up with cars getting among / between the motorcycles. If everyone participating paid attention and stayed together at a safe distance, there wouldn't be problems but for far too many, it's more of a social setting than something they take seriously and it puts everyone involved at higher risk. Every year I used to attend these rides, someone would crash by not paying attention and the vast majority of those attending don't wear helmets and other safe riding gear. I just decided long ago it's something I don't want to be a part of and so I avoid them like a plague. While the cause deserves support in most cases, I just don't want to risk injury or worse because of a group of people who want to party......

Thanks for the suggestions on the blue tooth. I am reviewing them now.
    H-D dealer dude and Robnik like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robnik View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I was downtown a few days ago (Saturday) and I saw a blind man just about get killed by a Tesla because he never heard it coming. I was behind him at the designated cross walk and I grabbed the center of his shirt and frankly startled him, but there was no time to do anything else. He approached the cross walk in a downtown (white cane and all) and I could tell he was listening to the traffic and as he started to cross the side street at the cross walk, a electric car made the right hand turn and the I never heard it nor did I see it until the very last second.

I think the driver may not have stopped at the stop sign to make the right hand turn because I never even saw the car until the very last second as he was rounding the corner and he was traveling faster than he should have been. I never heard a noise and obviously neither did the guy in front of me. The pedestrian had the right of way and of course, when I yelled at the guy in his car, he had his phone in his right hand and was looking down. I was able to get the license plate (he had a "Vanity Plate" from Illinois, so it was very easy to remember). The driver never stopped and fortunately, the guy in front of my wasn't hit, but his white cane was and knocked out of his hand, that's how close the car came to the guy...........I filed a police report and I am not sure what they can do but there is no doubt that you have to constantly be paying attention to what goes on around you.

I thought I had read somewhere that the auto makers of the electric cars were going to be required to put some device on them which alerts blind pedestrians to their presence. Clearly, this car on Saturday didn't make any "special sound" as it rounded the corner as I never heard it and neither did the guy in front of me. It was just the flash off the glass from the sun reflection which first caught my attention.

I really wish they would criminalize texting and other such uses of "smart phones" while operating vehicles. Maybe 10 days in jail for the first offense would change personal behavior (probably not, though).

I am old enough to remember how it was before the drunk driving laws were stepped up and made serious offenses. There is no doubt that making the penalties much greater and criminalizing the dangerous behavior had a profound affect on changing people's habits. There were times when the local officer would "follow you home" or "make sure you made it safely to your destination." We had a local case years ago where an officer followed another off duty officer home when he had pulled him over while drunk and on the ride home, the intoxicated off duty officer was in a crash and seriously injured someone. The victim ended up suing the driver and also the city Police Department and they prevailed. Maybe it's going to take some serious consequences for people to change their behavior.

1025R with Mauser Cab

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Wearing earphones is illegal in some states. I think pa is still one of them. However I have never heard of anyone being pulled over because of it. If you search the web you can find a list of what's legal in what state. Just like having to wear a helmet.
    While I support the right of people to make foolish decisions if they so choose, I simply will not ride without the helmet, proper jacket, leather gloves, steel toed boots, eye protection. I just cringe when I see these young girls perched on the back of a sport bike and they are wearing flip flops (if not bare footed) and sometimes only a bathing suit. If they ever fell, the road rash would destroy their skin, if they survive. I only hope that they never experience what happens when things go bad.

I have picked blacktop out of my body from hitting the pavement and it is no fun. I have broken bones including my right shoulder due to a pedestrian running across the road in downtown Sturgis directly in front of me in the middle of the block. They reached the double yellow center line on a 4 lane road and as I approached them at 20 mph, they turned around and ran back across right in front of me. I turned hard right while braking to avoid them and down I went. While I did miss the pedestrians, I didn't miss the pavement.

When you ride long enough, you are going to go down. You just need to plan to avoid it with developing safe riding skills, wearing safety devices and having as much luck as you can muster.

In the 13 times since 2002 I have been to Sturgis, South Dakota, you see the exact same situations every single year. Each day, the Rapid City newspaper will have reports about the traffic accidents involving those on motorcycles in town.

The predictable facts are

A. - more than half the crashes involve driver impairment (take your pick) and I wouldn't be surprised if it was 70%.

B. - The vast majority of the time, someone involved in a crash not wearing a helmet, does not survive (and if they do, it certainly makes their recovery and injuries much more severe).

C. -More often, those who are wearing a helmet do survive the crash. I have never done the math, but it has to be at least 75% of those without helmets in serious crashes die and with those wearing helmet, I wouldn't be surprised if it cuts the death rate in half or greater.

I like the "freedom" of riding without a helmet, but I have been hit with a wide variety of "things" while riding over 35 years and without a helmet, it is going to be bad...........

A couple of years ago, I decided to look into Motorcycle helmet safety. I did a ton of reading and studied the safety standards in the U.S. and the European Helmet Safety standards. The leading cause of death for motorcycle riders is colliding with 1.- concrete curbs and 2. -metal guardrails and 3.- Other vehicles / objects. Helmet's are designed primarily to survive the initial impact, whether it's the curb, the guardrail or the other object.

The jarring of the human brain inside the skull is the event which often causes death. Whether it's the impact on the front of the brain or the sudden jarring movement which damages or severs the spinal column like in Dale Earnhardt's fatal crash injury, the head and neck really need to be protected.

Bottom line in all of the analysis was the more expensive helmets were not necessarily any safer than well made and properly certified DOT helmets. One of the most important functions of the helmet was to minimize the impact of the skull and the movement of the brain within the skull when a collision occurs. Too hard a helmet causes the head to "bounce" which is dangerous within the helmet and too soft of a helmet may not safely protect the skull. Often, the more damaged the helmet, the better off the head within it as the helmet absorbs the impact. Actually, helmet science is pretty interesting but clearly a "improper fitting helmet" can be extremely dangerous and can actually cause injuries. So, get a helmet which fits properly and wear it.............Or ride in a "cage" vehicle (car or truck).

1025R with Mauser Cab

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Few years back a parade incident happened in Easton Pa. An old woman drove through a barricade and right into a marked police motorcycle with all the warning lights flashing. Luckily it was parked so no officer was injured.

Another ride one of my customers ended up in the hospital. He wasn't paying attention and his buddy stopped short in front of him. The guy ended up swerving into a tree on the side of the road. However he was able to avoid rear ending the other guy.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Thanks for the response. I have power at the handlebars with 2 dedicated 12 volt fused sources which can accept the standard cigarette style plug. I have used it for years for radar detectors, satellite radio, etc. and they work great. So I can use those to power whatever devices I get up front.

The Blue Tooth Universe is almost overwhelming. I can't believe how many options and variations there are. I just want simple, reliable and good quality.

I was at an accident scene last year while riding where a rider on a BMW was trying to do something with his "smart phone" while riding on the interestate and he drove right through the curve and that was the end of him. Hope the call was important because it truly became "Life and Death" for him. You are right, many can't hardly walk and chew gum, let alone ride a motorcycle.

I no longer attend any of the motorcycle charity rides. I simply either drop off my financial donation to support the worthy cause or I send the donation electronically, but I will not ride with a bunch of "twice a year, fair weather local charity riders". My biggest gripe is all of the stupid things which those in the rides do which put other riders at risk. I don't understand why these people riding are more concerned about the social aspect of the ride than they are about not allowing big gaps to form between riders in the group.

When people in cars see a large group of motorcycles and then there are no motorcycles, they assume the group is done so they start to pull out and cross the groups route or even worse yet, break the group up with cars getting among / between the motorcycles. If everyone participating paid attention and stayed together at a safe distance, there wouldn't be problems but for far too many, it's more of a social setting than something they take seriously and it puts everyone involved at higher risk. Every year I used to attend these rides, someone would crash by not paying attention and the vast majority of those attending don't wear helmets and other safe riding gear. I just decided long ago it's something I don't want to be a part of and so I avoid them like a plague. While the cause deserves support in most cases, I just don't want to risk injury or worse because of a group of people who want to party......

Thanks for the suggestions on the blue tooth. I am reviewing them now.
    I also stopped riding in charity rides a few years back for the same reasons. Most of the people who ride in them have very little riding experience and are a danger to themselves and everyone behind them. You get the accordion effect going and you can forget about an enjoyable ride. Everyone is too worried about how they look to pay attention to what they are doing.
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Robnik For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (07-12-2017)

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 04:36 PM
    Thanks
    The Sena S20 is the best Bluetooth setup out imho. The wife and I have used them quite a bit and they work great for communicating to each other, for music and for phone calls. You can replace the wpeakers with earbuds if you choose
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

14. The Following User Says Thank You to psrumors For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (07-12-2017)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast