Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: Satellite internet questions

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks

Satellite internet questions

I am tired of dealing with my frontier DSL line that is unreliable to the point I have to reboot my router at least twice or more a week to get a good connection. It is really really slow, I can get a whole 750K speed up to 1MB speeds if I am lucky. I have had them out to look at the service and they tell me there is nothing wrong with the lines or my system. The service department I spoke with said frontier only has to give you speeds up to 3MB, so since they can give me maybe 1MB there is nothing wrong.

So my question is. Is there anyone on here that is using Satellite as their internet service provider? Who are you using? Are you happy with the connections? Have you ever capped out your bandwidth? What issues have you had?

I am thinking of using HughesNet, since I already have DishTv I can get a whopping $5 a month off my bill. My main usage is email, web surfing. I have several security cameras that only stream video when I am viewing the cameras on my cell phone. My Weather station sends live data to several places. That pretty much covers my internet usage. We do not stream movies.

Any and all input is welcome. I am just fed up with frontier and have been since they bought out Verizon several years ago. I do not use a landline for a phone.
    DRobinson, BigJim55 and Robnik like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
    I am tired of dealing with my frontier DSL line that is unreliable to the point I have to reboot my router at least twice or more a week to get a good connection. It is really really slow, I can get a whole 750K speed up to 1MB speeds if I am lucky. I have had them out to look at the service and they tell me there is nothing wrong with the lines or my system. The service department I spoke with said frontier only has to give you speeds up to 3MB, so since they can give me maybe 1MB there is nothing wrong.

So my question is. Is there anyone on here that is using Satellite as their internet service provider? Who are you using? Are you happy with the connections? Have you ever capped out your bandwidth? What issues have you had?

I am thinking of using HughesNet, since I already have DishTv I can get a whopping $5 a month off my bill. My main usage is email, web surfing. I have several security cameras that only stream video when I am viewing the cameras on my cell phone. My Weather station sends live data to several places. That pretty much covers my internet usage. We do not stream movies.

Any and all input is welcome. I am just fed up with frontier and have been since they bought out Verizon several years ago. I do not use a landline for a phone.
    We just updated to the "new" HughesNet. We were told they just put up a new satelite back in late spring. It definitely is faster than before and yes, we have DISH as well so maybe now I can afford a large cone at the ice cream shop with my huge discount
    BigJim55 and Robnik like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    I would check to see if you have any wisp providers in the area, Satellite is very latent and expensive. Start at http://www.wispa.org

Many WISPs are word of mouth so ask around. I've attached a screenshot of my WISP speed test.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    BigJim55, Robnik and PJR832 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buckteeth445 View Post
    I would check to see if you have any wisp providers in the area, Satellite is very latent and expensive. Start at The Wireless Internet Service Providers Association (WISPA)

Many WISPs are word of mouth so ask around. I've attached a screenshot of my WISP speed test

Thanks, I looked and they have nothing in my area. I have also contacted a company that provides similar services, they cannot reach my area. Comcast will install a new line to my residence for $16,000.00, yup you saw that correctly and Frontier is the only other gig in town that uses my current land line. So it has to be satellite.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 09:26 PM
    Thanks
    How's your cellular coverage out there? Particularly AT&T coverage? The reason that I ask is that AT&T has something called a "ZTE Mobley". It's a mobile hotspot that's designed for "road warriors". It's supposed to plug into the diagnostics port on your car and get it's power from that. But, there are A/C adaptors available on Amazon so you can plug it in inside your house. You can also hook a router up to it, although it's designed out of the box to allow up to 5 devices to hook up to it.

Here's the great part - an UNLIMITED plan is $20 / month!! Theoretically, they are allowed to throttle down the speeds after you hit 22GB per month, but apparently they only do that if you are using it during super heavy traffic periods on the tower you're connected to.

There are some ups and downs. I bought two of them. The first one I unpacked I tried to activate online with no success yet. Part of that is my fault as I've been tied up with so many things the last couple of weeks (which has cut into my time being on GTT). The other one came pre-activated right out of the box. I just plugged it in and connected. That one currently resides in my daughter's college apartment. The limited amount of internet she needs there didn't justify a $60/month internet cable bill so I thought I'd try this one. The yet to be activated unit will be my backup at home and will also travel with me so I don't have to rely on unsecured hotel connections when I'm on the road.

There's a 60+ page thread on "that other tractor forum" which discusses this in great detail. It's in the "Rural Living" section and called "Cheap $20 a month stand alone...."

Everything I've read about satellite leads me to believe that would be the last choice if anything else was available.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    01-29-2019 @ 03:06 PM
    Thanks
    I have Wild Blue/Excede. Better than DSL, but you can hit your cap pretty quick if overused. Then you get dialed down for a month and can barely check email. If you don't stream movies, or watch a lot of youtube stuff, then it should be a great improvement over your DSL
    2017 2038R Loaded R-4s- Backhoe- Dual rear SCValves- Wheel Spacers- LED lights- Front Snowblower/Front Blade/3PH- 6' Frontier Box Blade- 42" Frontier Forks- EA 55" Wicked Grapple- WR Long Third Function kit- Fit Rite Hydr Top n Tilt- 6' old rusty Landscape Rake- Rusty old Post Hole Digger- Rusty old 5' Brush Hog- DR VersaTrailer- 20' SureTrac Tilt Trailer 7000lb

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks, I looked and they have nothing in my area. I have also contacted a company that provides similar services, they cannot reach my area. Comcast will install a new line to my residence for $16,000.00, yup you saw that correctly and Frontier is the only other gig in town that uses my current land line. So it has to be satellite.
    The sad thing is that your DSL provider is probably getting millions in CAF money to grow rural internet and doing nothing with it.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-26-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks

We have had HughesNet since March, as satellite is really our only option for internet. It is fairly expensive compared to other satellite internet providers in our area, but they had the most reliable connection for us. That being said, we have had no problems with it. We have a fairly large ranch-style home (approx. 70'x50') and the router sits in the middle of the basement. We have a reliable connection throughout the house and a decent connection for about 50' outside the house, I'm impressed with the coverage area.
    Both my wife and I can stream video at the same time, stream HD on our TV and haven't had bandwidth issues. We do not play video games so I can't vouch for any online gaming reliability, which is a big deal for some.
    As for weather related issues, we have lost signal during severe thunderstorms, much like when DirecTV cuts out (I assume you DishTv guys experience this as well). I'll be interested to see how the satellite performs in the winter time with any snow accumulation.
    BigJim55, Robnik, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    2017 2032R (Gen2)
    FEL (220r) w/57" Bucket and 48" forks
    60D AutoConnect MMM

11. Top | #9
    Hey, I want a title too! ZachinCO's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks
    When I move in 3 weeks I'll be setting up some sort of Dish/Antenna ISP. I've looked at Hughes and Exede, also talking to a local line of site provider. I can't give any opinion yet as I don't have any experience with any of them.

My biggest issues are data caps/data speeds since I work from home. Some providers cap your speeds once you reach your data limit.

One thing I don't like about Hughes is the 24 month contract to start, I'm sure they all have some sort of contract but Hughes is the only one I've looked into on more than just a surface level.

Can those with Hughes/Exede(other dish based provider) share their speeds? http://www.speedtest.net/
    Last edited by ZachinCO; 08-11-2017 at 07:41 AM. Reason: request for speedtest screen shots
    BigJim55, Robnik, PJR832 and 2 others like this.
    MINE!! 2016 New Holland T4.75

In-Laws 2006 4520-400 CX FEL-RC2072-Land Pride FS700-Rhino Box Blade-7' Plow Blade-CountyLine PHD
    In-Laws 2003 2210-210 FEL-54C MMM

My Sons IH Cub Cadet Originals- 62-Running;62-Restoration;61-Parts Donor

My social media~ https://www.instagram.com/zwhewitt_photos/

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:23 PM
    Thanks
    I am using the Verizon wireless network hotspot for our rural home:

This morning:
    Upload 1.41
    Download 12.62

Range:
    Upload .47 to 2.86
    Download 5.42 to 23.06

The additional cost is $10 for the hotspot added to my unlimited phone service (no caps) plus $20/month for the hotspot that stays "at home" so the wife has internet when I am gone. My neighbors have the "new" Hughes and already have a love/hate relationship with it. So far, the hotspot has served me well.
    DRobinson, BigJim55 and Robnik like this.
    JD 3025E | D160 loader | JD 413 Rotary Cutter | Behlen 7' grader blade | JD cultivator | Farm King PHD w/12" auger | Titan Ballast Box | 61" Pirhana bar | JD Sod Buster | Titan Pallet Fork w/receiver | Edge Tamers with Extensions | 5' King Kutter Rotary Tiller
    JD Z-Trac 335E with hitch and bumper kit | JD 8 cu ft cart
    JD D-100 Lawn Tractor w 42" deck | 10 cu ft HF cart
    1948 Ford 8N l 6' tooth harrow l Kawasaki Mule XC-SE
    Weather KMOLAWSO17 It's always sunny...unless it is not

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast