Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: POE Camera/DVR Security System Recommendations

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-28-2018 @ 01:51 PM
    Thanks

POE Camera/DVR Security System Recommendations

Lot's of smart cookies here on GTT so I thought I'd throw this question out to the masses...

I am looking for a GOOD POE (Power Over Ethernet) camera system with these requirements at a minimum:
    -Must support at least 8 cams, maybe more so they could be added later if wanted.
    -Must have DVR functionality, local though not so much interest in cloud storage-I just want to have the ability to look back a few days if needed.
    -Cams must have excellent coverage, clear images, and night visibility as it gets very dark here.
    -Having the ability to look at cam images real time on a mobile device would be helpful.
    -I think I'd rather a "all in one box" solution rather than buying a POE switch, server, software, ect and having to build a system, our time here is very limited so this might be the fastest way to get up and running. Wiring/cabling/fishing is a non-issue, I have the tools and know-how for that.

That list may grow as I get recommendations...Thanks for your time!
    Kennyd, OxPath and Robnik like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Thanks
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 10:07 AM
    Thanks
    ubnt.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Thanks
    Check out the systems over at Security Camera Warehouse. The have complete POE systems that will integrate into your home IP networking. The POE system comes with a NVR (capable of supporting from 4, 8, 16, 32 or 64 cameras), POE cameras to fit your installation location. Connect the NVR into your home switch, home run CAT5E or CAT6 Ethernet from the NVR to each camera and your up and running, additional installation instructions can be found here.

The NVR supplies the POE to the camera and has a web server embedded so you can monitor activity remotely from any device capable of hitting a web page. IIRC you can have it send you an alert if a camera starts recording inside a predefined time period.

I purchased a 8 camera system for work from them, and they have been fantastic to work with. Free for life US based support, no monthly subscription fees and a 3 Yr system warranty out of the box. They are not cheep, but the systems are fantastic and the support team has been equally helpful.

Check out the beginners guide to CCTV, and here you can compare camera resolutions.
    Kennyd likes this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 56Nine For This Useful Post:

JD4EVER (09-11-2017), Kennyd (09-11-2017), mark02tj (09-11-2017)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks
    Make sure you use a system that starts recording on motion. You'll be able to use your DVR space for more time before it recycles. Set your cameras so you can see faces and license plates. You can't identify people by the tops of their heads.
    mark02tj and flyweight like this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MDrew For This Useful Post:

JD4EVER (09-11-2017), Kennyd (09-11-2017)

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MDrew View Post
    Make sure you use a system that starts recording on motion. You'll be able to use your DVR space for more time before it recycles. Set your cameras so you can see faces and license plates. You can't identify people by the tops of their heads.
    Motion sensitivity can be a double-edged sword. Too sensitive and it records all the time anyhow. Not sensitive enough and you can miss things that are just a bit further away - it will take some time to get the sensitivity to where it needs to be.

Cameras mounted in soffits or similar protect them from tampering and such, but can make it hard to see faces and such (as MDrew is saying). Again, finding a balance to how high up you mount them is the key.

I would definitely not recommend anything below 720p resolution for the cameras, and 1080 is likely going to be the right choice. But, each camera could be a bit different, so look for recorded examples.

Understand how much data each camera generates while recording. Use this to estimate an appropriate disk size for the DVR. A 1TB drive will data for only half as long when you double the number of cameras (you mentioned the possibility of adding cameras - so, keep this sort of thing in mind).

PTZ cameras likely will add to the cost, but give you flexibility. Being able to change the camera's angle or zoom, especially remotely, is sometimes a nice feature to have.

You're likely going to be looking for cameras that are weather-resistant / proof. IP66 rating should get you the weather resistance that you need. Look for temp capabilities, too. One of the things I struggle with for outdoor items is in this area because temps here in winter are 5-25 degrees on average and sometimes well below zero.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meburdick For This Useful Post:

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Nine View Post
    Check out the systems over at Security Camera Warehouse. The have complete POE systems that will integrate into your home IP networking. The POE system comes with a NVR (capable of supporting from 4, 8, 16, 32 or 64 cameras), POE cameras to fit your installation location. Connect the NVR into your home switch, home run CAT5E or CAT6 Ethernet from the NVR to each camera and your up and running, additional installation instructions can be found here.

The NVR supplies the POE to the camera and has a web server embedded so you can monitor activity remotely from any device capable of hitting a web page. IIRC you can have it send you an alert if a camera starts recording inside a predefined time period.

I purchased a 8 camera system for work from them, and they have been fantastic to work with. Free for life US based support, no monthly subscription fees and a 3 Yr system warranty out of the box. They are not cheep, but the systems are fantastic and the support team has been equally helpful.

Check out the beginners guide to CCTV, and here you can compare camera resolutions.
    I should add that when looking for our system, the other company that was "runner up" for us was CCTV Security Camera Pros. Their camera warranty was a year less, for our application we needed one with a 72* field of view, CCTV Security Camera Pros did not have. For a group environment, the camera viewing software was not as robust as the Warehouse's, but for an individual that shouldn't make a difference. Their prices were very similar.

Poke around on each site, and you will find big corporate names associated to each one. That should indicate the systems have capacity and durability.
    Last edited by 56Nine; 09-11-2017 at 02:06 PM. Reason: details omitted.... :-)
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 56Nine For This Useful Post:

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,035 Times in 2,514 Posts
    Thank all for the replies everyone, I'm following along and learnin' too
    JD4EVER likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

15. Top | #9
    Last Online
    07-16-2019 @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    I bought a Lorex system a while back that I am very happy with. Although mine is a wired system them have a system that uses POE.

I have a 16 camera system
    Constantly recording- Stores a little more than a month then it is first in first our over recording on the internal hard drive.
    Access through at home monitor and on my Androud
    Color during the day is fantastic.
    Night vision is not so great in the extremely dark areas. I installed them near motion activated lights.
    Motion activation can be by individual camera and it cam send email alerts as well.

They also have wireless. They might have a system that can use wired/wireless as well as POE, not really sure. Lot's of options and you do not have to buy their monthly service. Monitor yourself.

Many other features. My system (wired 16 cameras) was less than $800 at Costco.

https://www.lorextechnology.com/store/
    JD
    2016-1025R
    H120 Loader
    54"MMM W/Mulching Kit
    647 Tiller

Power Beyond Kit Dealer Installed
    Quick Hitch
    Ballast Box
    Titan 42" Forks
    Agri-Fab 175-Pound Tow Broadcast Spreader
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    More to add as needed.

Added:
    Ken's Bolt On Hooks
    Diff Pedal Extension
    Oblong Ring Sling

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Arvada For This Useful Post:

JD4EVER (09-11-2017)

17. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-28-2018 @ 01:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    Ray, I don't see where they offer a DVR solution? Looks all cloud based and they say the cams are "indoor only". I'd rather record the action OUTSIDE before they get in.
    Ray_PA likes this.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast