Anyone have "Hulu with Live TV"?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Anyone have "Hulu with Live TV"?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    @
    Thanks

Anyone have "Hulu with Live TV"?

I've gone and built a reasonably powerful home media system using Plex. I have all of the DVD's and BluRay's ripped down and stored on the server and I also have a HD HomeRun Extend (dual tuner) connected to an HD antenna. I get about a dozen channels, including all four of the major networks in my local area. Since I have a lifetime PlexPass, I also have access to the PVR (DVR) functionality and can record from the HomeRun just as I would with any cable or satellite provider with their DVR box.

Since DirecTV won't give me a consistently reasonable price (I have to call once per year, agree to a 12-month term, and then they'll reduce my bill by 1/3), I want to dump regular TV service completely.

What I'm trying to understand is whether the Hulu streaming service or the upgraded service with cloud-based DVR and access to live TV would fit my needs better. So, I'm wondering if anyone here is a subscriber to the Hulu with Live TV plan and could offer any insight into how it's working for you.
    pcabe5 likes this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks

Great question

With cable costs constantly escalating, I'll be watching this thread closely. Thanks for opening the conversation.

Treefarmer
    Gizmo2 and pcabe5 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    From what I can tell, the three major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) allow you to access all of their live content with your Hulu login. That would account for the general access. I wonder how the "local" affiliates would be accessed.

I'm very curious to know more about the DVR piece (quality, how well it streams, etc.).
    pcabe5 and BigJim55 like this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:52 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,948 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    With cable costs constantly escalating, I'll be watching this thread closely. Thanks for opening the conversation.

Treefarmer
    X2
    pcabe5 likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-10-2019 @ 05:49 PM
    Thanks
    I don't have HULU but what I have done when I got tired of sky rocketing cable bill, I ended up putting up a quality outdoor antenna and a quality booster just so I could get local channels. I was amazed that even in the stix I was able to pick up 17 channels all crystal clear free !! Well kinda - I had about $300 I think into the antenna. Loved it so much bought my Mother one, she was able to 38 channels, but she is closer to civilization.

Still searching for the ultimate TV I branched out to a FIRESTICK - and did what they call jail break it. I'm using an app called Modbro and I have ton's of stations streaming including all the major cable stations. including hbo/cinemax/showtime etc. It is an electronic learning curve but YOUTUBE will help even a old goat like myself through it.

I now pay ZERO a month - have more channels than I have ever had streaming. Once in a while it will hiccup and I will have to reload. As for the streaming troubles - you will have the same trouble that you have when you stream anything online. Never perfect but pretty darn close.

TV ANTENNA
    TV Antenna Booster
    Jailbreak Firestick

< $400 More stations than ever and Zero a month. MY kind of TV!
    pcabe5, Bubber, flyweight and 1 others like this.
    - Mike Bell
    2016 - 3039r Factory cab - 84" Woods box blade , 61" FEL - I-match - 2" Receiver - loaded rear AG (R-1) tires - 59" snow blower- 48" pallet forks - 84" Power angle rear blade
    2014 - 1025r TLB
    60" auto mowing deck, titan pallet forks, 1.5" rear wheel spacers, v bar tire chains, 3 Kens Bolt on Grab Hooks and 3 attaching clevis.
    1967 round fender 110 with snow blade ( restoration in progress)
    1965 round fender 110

8. Top | #6
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    X2 1gif:
    X3.

I'm too far away for some over the air networks so satellite or Hulu is something I'm interested in.

Google started YouTube TV. Similar to Hulu or at least another option.

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/
    Gizmo2 and Robnik like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks

Antenna?

Quote Originally Posted by KE8LW View Post
    I don't have HULU but what I have done when I got tired of sky rocketing cable bill, I ended up putting up a quality outdoor antenna and a quality booster just so I could get local channels. I was amazed that even in the stix I was able to pick up 17 channels all crystal clear free !! Well kinda - I had about $300 I think into the antenna. Loved it so much bought my Mother one, she was able to 38 channels, but she is closer to civilization.

Still searching for the ultimate TV I branched out to a FIRESTICK - and did what they call jail break it. I'm using an app called Modbro and I have ton's of stations streaming including all the major cable stations. including hbo/cinemax/showtime etc. It is an electronic learning curve but YOUTUBE will help even a old goat like myself through it.

I now pay ZERO a month - have more channels than I have ever had streaming. Once in a while it will hiccup and I will have to reload. As for the streaming troubles - you will have the same trouble that you have when you stream anything online. Never perfect but pretty darn close.

TV ANTENNA
    TV Antenna Booster
    Jailbreak Firestick

< $400 More stations than ever and Zero a month. MY kind of TV!
    Pre-digital TV we used to get over the air really well. When things went digital, I upgraded my antenna and booster and still couldn't reliably get a signal. I talked with the FCC and they said we were just a little too far plus there was a large hill between us and the stations. Apparently digital signals don't bend over the horizon well. I've really considered buying and installing a tower to get another 75' of height but would hate to do that unless I knew it would work. I was already using an antenna with a pole mount that went higher than my house. Standing on the end of a house dealing with it and a 25' drop isn't something I want to do again.

What brand of antenna do you use?

Treefarmer
    pcabe5, KE8LW and Robnik like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 06:44 PM
    Thanks
    You might want to take a look at "Sling TV". It's referred to as "al a' carte TV" because you can buy little mini packages of different channels. For example, I don't follow any sports so I wouldn't need to include the $5/month package that includes ESPN, etc. No kids, so no need to pay $5/month for Disney, NickToons, etc.

After Time Warner became "Spectrum", my monthly price went from $140/month (including internet) to $165 for a couple of months to $265!! I did pay them a visit and got it back down to $145 (which included a jump from 30 mbs to 100 mbs internet) but I may still take a look at Sling. I can get internet for $69 and then everything I want on Sling for $45. That would save $30 / month.

My biggest obstacle to this is Sweetie. We'd probably need to use 2 remotes and would have to change "inputs" from the antenna to get local channels over to the Sling device for the other channels. Wouldn't bother me, but she wouldn't like it.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5 and Robnik like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Thanks
    I live closer to civilization, so a simple indoor antenna gets me 25-30 local channels. I too have an Amazon fire stick. With the modifications available on you tube, it will get just about anything except live sports feeds for USA sports channels. I paid $99 for a year of Amazon Prime, partly for the free quick shipping, but also for their tv streaming. They have a lot of good series that are exclusive to them, along with a good selection of movies and tv shows. The nice thing is when you choose to watch something, it is instant, no download times, no choosing streams. You do need an internet feed though.
    Mike Hawkins
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, flyweight and 2 others like this.
    X380 w/54" deck
    2032 FEL, 46 Backhoe, Ken's hooks, 6' County Line York rake
    Yellow Lab -Kayla

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    I watch only streaming TV.

I've had Hulu (commercial free) for a couple years along with Netflix and CBS All Access (commercial free).

I recently did the free trial of Hulu w/live TV. It takes a little while to get used to their user interface which is new. It does work great, but....my only gripe was not having AMC. That was a deal breaker for me.

I also did a month long trial of DirecTVNOW - much nicer user interface. And they do have AMC. But at the time they didn't have the DVR function but is soon to be I hear.

At the time I went with Sling Orange. Had a nice small selection of channels that we watch plus has the DVR function.

Hulu Live is the most expensive of the three.
    Driectv now is a very good option I think.
    Sling still beats them all.

Just to note - none of them will give me the major networks - it depends on where you live I guess. So if the major networks are something you want pay close attention to if you can get them or not.
    pcabe5, flyweight, KE8LW and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

mark02tj(11-26-2017)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast