Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Browser questions

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks

Browser questions

Forever I have used Explorer as my browser for everything. Now I'm trying to do something with WordPress. I could not install WP & my hosting company has told me that Explorer is the cause of the problem. The hosting co. is suggesting I install & use either Google Chrome or Firefox.

First, I've never had any issues with Explorer & can't understand why it's not working for the quick install of WordPress.
    Secondly, I have negative feelings about Google. They are everywhere & I feel they are always spying on people. And I don't really know anything about Firefox.

Anyone have an opinion as to why Explorer is not working with my hosting co. Never ran into that problem before. And which would be better to go with-Chrome or Firefox. Thanks!

PS. The hosting Co. is Hostgator.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,236 Posts
    I use Chrome at work on the desktop and Firefox at home on the laptop, both are equally good IMO. As far as internet spying, I don't care what you use, if you use the internet there are trails left by your every move.
    Maddog and BigJim55 like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

Maddog (02-08-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    04-03-2019 @ 09:32 PM
    Thanks
    Internet Explorer (IE) is outdated and only used on computers pre-Windows 10. IE only goes up to version 11, which came out around the same time as Windows 7.Windows 10 now has Edge browser, which is better, but still not as good as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, etc. Windows 10 also has IE11 installed, but they hide it from you. You have to search the programs and add it to your shortcuts however you like, etc. The biggest issues with IE are that Microsoft feels they need to have their own set of web coding standards and conventions, whereas the others mostly adhere to the accepted web standards. That is why you'll see different behaviors between each browser. As an IT guy, I've seen so many nightmares getting websites to behave cross-browser because older versions of IE didn't work with the latest web standards. Personally, I use Chrome on my work computer, but Firefox on my home computer. My home computer is older, and Chrome doesn't work so well on it. I stay out of IE and Edge as much as possible, but some websites will only work in IE. So, I keep that one around on my computers.

Most likely you have an IE setting that isn't letting it work, whereas Firefox or Chrome will. Maybe check your internet settings in IE for the security levels and filtering.
    Last edited by jkohnz; 02-08-2018 at 01:02 PM.

2017 1025R-TLB
    49" H120 FEL
    60D MMM
    John Deere ballast box
    BXPanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    Harbor Freight quick hitch (it only cost $80!)
    Everything Attachments 54" XTreme Duty Compact Box Blade
    Titan Attachments 42" pallet forks

Then there's my little ol 2008 x304

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jkohnz For This Useful Post:

Maddog (02-08-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 02:47 PM
    Thanks
    Forced to use IE at work (stupid military) as it's the only authorized browser for many of our systems.

I use chrome at home, much preferred.

Regardless of browser, if you're on the net, you're being watched/tracked.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    Forever I have used Explorer as my browser for everything. Now I'm trying to do something with WordPress. I could not install WP & my hosting company has told me that Explorer is the cause of the problem. The hosting co. is suggesting I install & use either Google Chrome or Firefox.

First, I've never had any issues with Explorer & can't understand why it's not working for the quick install of WordPress.
    Secondly, I have negative feelings about Google. They are everywhere & I feel they are always spying on people. And I don't really know anything about Firefox.

Anyone have an opinion as to why Explorer is not working with my hosting co. Never ran into that problem before. And which would be better to go with-Chrome or Firefox. Thanks!

PS. The hosting Co. is Hostgator.
    I have never used Wordpress as I use Dreamweaver for my web pages. However, I have never run into the same situation as you where someone is telling you that it will NOT work with IE. It is normally the opposite as a number of web sites refuse to make their sites cross browser friendly and specifically make them only work properly with IE. I have not used IE for a very long time as I started with Netscape, then switched to Firefox after AOL bought Netscape and did not want to continue with it's development, so they turned the source code out into the open, which begat Firefox. In spite of having a Google phone which I think is great, I refuse to use Google Chrome browser as I have found it to be a resource hog. More than one computer has been brought to me with a complaint about running slow which was fixed by uninstalling Chrome. I have yet to find anyone whose computer I have worked on that has actually intended to download Chrome. They all tell me it "just showed up". Many downloaded programs today have a box you have to uncheck or you will get programs that you did not want and one of those is Chrome. Adobe is especially bad about this.

Dave

Edit::: A second thought. Maybe Wordpress is now focusing on the new HTML5 standards, which with IE being older and not likely being updated, it may not work with HTML5. I believe Chrome and Firefox already work with HTML5.
    Last edited by ddinham; 02-08-2018 at 01:22 PM.
    Maddog and jkohnz like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,035 Times in 2,514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post

Edit::: A second thought. Maybe Wordpress is now focusing on the new HTML5 standards, which with IE being older and not likely being updated, it may not work with HTML5. I believe Chrome and Firefox already work with HTML5.

That would be my guess.
    I use Dreamweaver and FTP for my business website, but I also run two other simple non-eCommerce sites in wordpress without issue-but I use Chrome 99% of the time.
    Maddog and PJR832 like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks
    Based on the responses here to my original post, it sounds like the browser of choice for most is Chrome even with some downside to it. Bit nothing is perfect across the board for everyone. I probably will install Chrome for my wordpress project but continue to use explorer for most everything else. Old habits die hard with me & I'm not exactly into all this tech mumbo jumbo computer stuff. I'm more like a nuts & bolts kind of guy.
    PJR832 likes this.

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
    Forced to use IE at work (stupid military) as it's the only authorized browser for many of our systems.

I use chrome at home, much preferred.

Regardless of browser, if you're on the net, you're being watched/tracked.

Unless you use Tor browser
    Snoozeys likes this.

2017 1025R-TLB
    49" H120 FEL
    60D MMM
    John Deere ballast box

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post

This right here is exactly correct. HTML5 and CSS3 both.

2017 1025R-TLB
    49" H120 FEL
    60D MMM
    John Deere ballast box

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jkohnz View Post
    Internet Explorer (IE) is outdated
    Accurate statement

and only used on computers pre-Windows 10.
    That is not accurate. Internet Exploder is available with Windows 10 (or at least was during the initial rollouts). Windows 10 included Edge as well.

IE only goes up to version 11, which came out around the same time as Windows 7.
    Accurate, but the highest version of IE that a particular version of Windows can support may be lower than 11.

Windows 10 now has Edge browser, which is better, but still not as good as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, etc.
    That's a matter of opinion, and it certainly isn't mine. lol

Edge browser seems to be less supported on various applications and systems than IE still. Microsoft is trying to "rewrite" Internet standards with their install base like they did with IE, and it isn't working. There are far too many users that simply don't use IE anymore, or don't use the Windows OS at all.

Like others have indicated, HTML5 is kind of the new 'standard' for a lot of things on the web, and a variety of things within it don't work properly (or at all) within IE.

I have Windows 10, Mac OS (multiple machines), iOS, and Android devices that I use in my work and personal life. With the exception of the iOS devices, I use Chrome on everything and leverage the "Sign In" aspect so that Chrome keeps track of everything that I do -AND- synchronizes it across devices. I be working on my laptop and then go to the Android phone, and with just a couple of taps I can bring up the article I was reading in Chrome on the laptop.

BECAUSE Chrome is a Google product, and Google pushes standards forward for security, Chrome tends to be very up-to-date with what encryption it supports and doesn't support (older, weaker pieces are removed instead of left dangling like in IE).

Very occasionally I will revert to Firefox for something that seems quirky in Chrome, but that isn't often at all. I personally wish that iOS devices could leverage Chrome as a default browser. Or ANYTHING other than Safari, for that matter.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast