HD crash, looking for ideas on the next back up strategy :mad::banghead:
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Gizmo2
  • 2 Post By Manomet
  • 2 Post By CyberShanks
  • 1 Post By fordmantpw

Thread: HD crash, looking for ideas on the next back up strategy :mad::banghead:

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks

HD crash, looking for ideas on the next back up strategy :mad::banghead:

Tonight after settling down from the projects of the day I decided to find out why my Macbook Pro stopped backing up to my Time Machine drive that is attached to my airport extreme. Well at first I guessed that I must have interrupted a backup and the SMB server on the airport had the image locked so I tried resetting the airport. Because my airport is in the basement I tried my pseudo power cycle trick of changing a setting on the airport and then letting it soft reboot. When it came back on line the airport was showing an issue with one of the drives connected to it. It said that I would need to run the disk utility on it. So I went down stairs and grabbed my back up drive, a Western Digital passport drive. Right away I knew I was in trouble. The little white LED was not on. When I plugged it into my laptop I instantly knew is was toast, I could feel the platters spin up and then I could hear the head jumping back and forth making that all familiar zip, zip, zip,... noise.

So now I need to replace the drive. I looked and a 1TB drive will run me about $60 bucks, not to bad and I'll be right back where I started. Then I saw a 3TB WD MY Cloud that connects to directly to the network through gigabit ethernet it was not a bad price $178, about the same price per TB. It would be nice to get all of my movies back on the network. But then I got to thinking that I would be stuck with a useless network box even if only one of the internal drives died, it is not so easy to just drop in a new drive and go forth. So now I'm thinking of going back to a linux box setup like I had a few years ago. It was an old pentinum 4 box that ran 24/7/365 for the better part of 8 years. If I go this route I can just replace a drive when it fails and then keep going. I just built a little computer to run as an Sophos router for less than $160 a few month ago and I'm thinking it would make a good file server.
    Parts are listed below. About the only thing I would change is the amount of ram, I would more than likely go with 8GB of ram over the 4GB. What do you all think? Yes I know a giant NAS would be awesome but I'm on a small budget of about of no more than $200.

Items Ordered Price
    1 of: ASUS DDR3 2200 Intel LGA 1155 Motherboard H61M-E
    Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

Condition: New
    $49.69
    1 of: Intel Pentium Dual Core G2030 LGA 1155 Processor BX80637G2030

$57.95
    2 of: Crucial 2GB Single DDR3 1600 MT/s PC3-12800 CL11 Unbuffered UDIMM 240-Pin Desktop Memory Module CT25664BA160B

$23.23
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Thanks
    Man, that just sucks; not that I'm telling you anything you don't already know.

In any case I have a Synology Diskstation configured in a RAID 1 (mirror) that does double duty as a backup device for our four computers and a file server. Last year I got a scare when one HDD puked; but the RAID saved us. However; I'm looking into Idrive to backup up our NAS to the cloud/internet or whatever one chooses to call it. The file server data on our NAS is far more valuable than the $50 - $100 a year to back it up online.

I build all our own PC's, excluding laptops, and I always build them with RAID 1 arrays.

I know this doesn't answer your specific questions below; but I hope our experiences helps you with whatever route you choose to go.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,955 Times in 2,915 Posts
    At one time I lived for computer problems, not so much any more. As a matter of fact I hate computer problems now.
    I say whatever makes sense to you but I would not be spending big $ on something you won't be able to get replacements for, and in today's world is pretty much everything.
    mjncad likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 AM
    Thanks
    Is this thing painted green, because you are way over my head here.
    Gizmo2 and Ultrapile like this.
    2009 2520 200cx loader 46 Back Hoe 403 Rotary Cutter Artillian forks + 54" Snowblower
    1995 455 w/60" deck

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    02-28-2019 @ 01:30 PM
    Thanks
    Another vote for Synology. They just seem to work. I have 4 machines using mine as time capsule without a hitch. Got mine from amazon for like 160 bux and stuck 2 3TB drives in it in an R1 mirror.

Jim
    mjncad and Gizmo2 like this.
    '11 3005 4wd R4s w/300 & 60" Std w/Pirahna tb, Artillian 36" forks, Custom 83" SnowBear front blade, Frontier RB2060 blade, King Kutter TG-G-60 tiller and RFM-72 mower, Spee-Co Model-65 phd, Fimco LG-40-3PT sprayer, Tarter SUBY and TMY, Agri-Fab 24x48LR lawn roller & John Deere BW15073 and 6x42lb weights.
    '12 ZTrak Pro 925A-EFi w/60" 7-Iron, AgriFab SmartLink w/(aerator/dethacher/roller), 130lb Spreader & 350lb Poly Cart.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    11-06-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Turn an old PC into a cheap file server. Install Carbonite.
    Kennyd likes this.
    JD 2720 nicely equipped with FEL, MMM, 4' Land Pride Rotary Cutter, 5' Land Pride Blade

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    Man, that just sucks; not that I'm telling you anything you don't already know.

In any case I have a Synology Diskstation configured in a RAID 1 (mirror) that does double duty as a backup device for our four computers and a file server. Last year I got a scare when one HDD puked; but the RAID saved us. However; I'm looking into Idrive to backup up our NAS to the cloud/internet or whatever one chooses to call it. The file server data on our NAS is far more valuable than the $50 - $100 a year to back it up online.

I build all our own PC's, excluding laptops, and I always build them with RAID 1 arrays.

I know this doesn't answer your specific questions below; but I hope our experiences helps you with whatever route you choose to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberShanks View Post
    Another vote for Synology. They just seem to work. I have 4 machines using mine as time capsule without a hitch. Got mine from amazon for like 160 bux and stuck 2 3TB drives in it in an R1 mirror.

Jim
    I'll have to look into Synology. I have a 4RU Istar case that holds 6 hot swap bays in the front so it would be really easy for me to set up a hot swap RAID. Like I said before I had a Linux box doing what the Synology drive does, I just got old and I relied on the USB disk connected to my airport for the last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    04-30-2019 @ 01:11 PM
    Thanks

Another HD thought

My MBPro is late 2011. I'm thinking of trying the following. It won't solve your big problem but may speed up your computer. I'm thinking of replacing the optical drive with the SSD.

Interesting article on replacing HD with an SSD
    How to improve your MacBook - CNET
    2006 JD 2520, 200cx loader, 62d mower, ballast box, 54" snowblower, 3 pt. quick hitch, 5' box blade, 1948 Ford 8n, dirt scoop, 6' Dearborn blade, 2 bottom Dearborn plow, Jinwa 6" 3 pt. wood chipper, MacBook Pro, and other toys

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    02-28-2019 @ 01:30 PM
    Thanks
    My new MacBook has SSD and it absolutely flies. It is amazing how much it helps out.
    '11 3005 4wd R4s w/300 & 60" Std w/Pirahna tb, Artillian 36" forks, Custom 83" SnowBear front blade, Frontier RB2060 blade, King Kutter TG-G-60 tiller and RFM-72 mower, Spee-Co Model-65 phd, Fimco LG-40-3PT sprayer, Tarter SUBY and TMY, Agri-Fab 24x48LR lawn roller & John Deere BW15073 and 6x42lb weights.
    '12 ZTrak Pro 925A-EFi w/60" 7-Iron, AgriFab SmartLink w/(aerator/dethacher/roller), 130lb Spreader & 350lb Poly Cart.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    My MBP is almost 8 years old and it is slowly dying. So at this point it would not even consider the idea of adding a SSD to it. I'm hoping to get a new one in the next year or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements