Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The end has come

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks

The end has come

Well it was bound to croak & it has. MY Dell with windows XP has kicked the bucket. I can turn it on, & boot up. But as soon as it warms up, my monitor starts rapidly flashing on & off at a real dizzy speed & then the mouse & keyboard lock up. At this point I can't re start it. But if I wait long enough, & the tower is completely at room temperature I can get it going but then the scenario repeats itself.

I think that I may have several capacitors that are burned out from heat. What I know about electronics you can fit on the head of a pin & have room left over for a banquet.

I'm shopping now for a new desktop of modest price. Looking at HP pavilion with a 23" monitor. But can someone explain what the difference is in Windows 8 & windows 8.1 Also I'm not a fan of the touch screen. Just need a keyboard & mouse of the wireless variety. And I also need to replace my all in one mono laser printer. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:41 PM
    Thanks
    Too Bad the old girl finally laid down. HERE IS A LINK to a recent thread full of information. I think it will answer most of your questions.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to arlen For This Useful Post:

Maddog (10-11-2014)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 01:06 PM
    Thanks
    Based on you not using the touch interface you will want 8.1. It is essentially the same but now it has options to auto boot to a normal desktop instead of the touch tile interface and our happy start button is back. Even if you purchase a machine with 8 it will autoupdate for free to 8.1 when you connect to windows update the first time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    farmgirl19 and Levi like this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to trohrer For This Useful Post:

arlen (10-10-2014)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,549 Posts
    You could also get a Win7 Pro machine so it would be more like the XP your used to. Win8 is a completely different animal to train.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

Maddog (10-11-2014)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    Too Bad the old girl finally laid down. HERE IS A LINK to a recent thread full of information. I think it will answer most of your questions.
    Thank you. I will check it out for sure.

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trohrer View Post
    Based on you not using the touch interface you will want 8.1. It is essentially the same but now it has options to auto boot to a normal desktop instead of the touch tile interface and our happy start button is back. Even if you purchase a machine with 8 it will autoupdate for free to 8.1 when you connect to windows update the first time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Good info on 8 Vs. 8.1 A friend just got one with 8 installed & he upgraded as you said to 8.1 on the first connect.
    Thanks.

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    You could also get a Win7 Pro machine so it would be more like the XP your used to. Win8 is a completely different animal to train.
    Thanks. My wife's laptop is win7. While its somewhat like XP, I really don't care for it. I've played around with win 8 at best buy & while it will take some getting use to or re training myself, I think it's pretty good. I'm sure there are some pros & cons to it, but I'm really not a heavy user & it probably has way more than I will use. For all the years I've had XP, I never even scratched the surface of what it could do.

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

I recommend that you look at refurbished business class systems rather than new retail systems. The business class systems may not be flashy and cool looking with blinky lights and sleek cases but they are build to run 24-7-365 for years and years and be stable and reliable.

One of my favorite places to get high quality refurbished systems is US Micro ( US Micro - Computers, Laptops, Servers and more from Dell, Cisco, HP and other brands. ) A bonus is that they offer 10% off your first order. I took a quick look and they have desktops ranging from $150 for a basic desktop system to $600 for professional workstation systems with server class processors and CAD quality graphic cards. Why be the person that pays the depreciation in the first 2 years, let the big company's pay it for you.

Tom

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomd999 View Post
    Hiya,

I recommend that you look at refurbished business class systems rather than new retail systems. The business class systems may not be flashy and cool looking with blinky lights and sleek cases but they are build to run 24-7-365 for years and years and be stable and reliable.

One of my favorite places to get high quality refurbished systems is US Micro ( US Micro - Computers, Laptops, Servers and more from Dell, Cisco, HP and other brands. ) A bonus is that they offer 10% off your first order. I took a quick look and they have desktops ranging from $150 for a basic desktop system to $600 for professional workstation systems with server class processors and CAD quality graphic cards. Why be the person that pays the depreciation in the first 2 years, let the big company's pay it for you.

Tom
    Thanks. I'm looking into it.

15. Top | #10
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Tiger Direct has off lease computers too. I picked up a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop from them less than a year ago, for well under $200 delilvered. Use it mainly for backup, in case my main laptop hiccups, (or worse).
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast