Looking for VOIP recommendations.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Looking for VOIP recommendations.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks

Looking for VOIP recommendations.

I know we have some networking gurus here so I wanted to ask what VOIP service I should get.

My wife and I use our cell phones the majority of the time. We have Sprint service but there is no Sprint coverage at our home. When we moved in we installed an Airave, it is kinda like a personal cell tower. It works ok but our phones don't always ring if someone tries to call. This is not a big issue most of the time but several weeks out of the year my wife is on call and the hospital needs to be able to get ahold of her.

I know there are several options out there to us.

1. Comcast Phone - I hate to give Comcast anymore money than I have to. There phone service is $14.99 a month and we don't need all of the long-distance or international calling.

2. Local Phone co. - I have not looked at prices yet but I'm going to guess that prices are going to be around the same as Comcast.

3. VOIP - This is what I'm really looking for information on. I know there are plans that are closer to $5.00 a month and that sounds way better.

Thanks,
    Mike
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    Most of the people that I know of that are using VOIP at home are using MagicJack.

I know some others were using something that was tied to Google voice but my understanding is that Google killed that option.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

felixm22 (12-22-2014)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Having no cell service anywhere near where I live, I've used a VoIP service for years now. The service I use has been rock solid - cost comes to $7.71 per month ($149 for 2 years plus tax comes to $185) including all taxes and e-911 fees when I pay for 2 years at a time. Plenty of features and the box is included for free. The reason I went with them is this is a spin off of HostGator which is a big web hosting service that I have also used for years. The couple times I've had to contact tech support (for either hostgator or voipo) I've received a response within 20 minutes.

VoIP Services by VOIPO
    BigJim55 likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

6. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

felixm22 (12-22-2014)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 04:36 PM
    Thanks
    What type of internet service do you have and what are the speeds?

I would go with Google Voice (free) and run it off the PC / tablet

If you want / need / desire the feel of an actual phone, buy an Obihai OBi110 Voice Service Bridge and VoIP Telephone Adapter ($60 - one time) and use it with Google Voice. A phone will plug right into it and operate as a regular phone.

With Google Voice you can set the number up to not only ring your PC / tablet / Obihai adapter but also your cell phones simultaneously. This way, if the hospital has your wife's GV number and she decides to go to town they still only need to dial the one number.

I've been using GV for years and it has been pretty rock solid. I have one number that I give out that will ring my cell, my desk, my on star. If I change any of my phone numbers it does not affect anyone as they have my GV number which stays the same. WHen I visit my parents, my tablet is with me and I can answer calls from it or I can direct the line to ring their number.
    Last edited by psrumors; 12-22-2014 at 03:32 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 06:52 AM
    Thanks
    OOMA
    Free Home Phone Service | Ooma

It goes in at the front of your internet connection and makes sure it has enough bandwidth to give very good quality.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    John

Case 1070 Agri King with Cab loader and 12 Speed Power Shift

JD X485 with 62C deck
    JD 425
    JD 325 With 48 inch Deck and 30 Mechanical Tiller
    JD Gator TH 6x4
    JD 216H 46 mower and 33 tiller
    Stihl MS250, KM130R

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:50 PM
    Thanks
    I went to MagicJack about two years ago. Sixty bucks to start and thirty bucks per year. It didn't take long to realize a savings from the thirty five dollars per month I was paying Time-Warner.... Two months! I have it plugged in my UPS and it has worked flawlessly with three cordless and one corded phone on the circuit. You do have to dial the area code with all calls, including local, but that isn't so hard. And you do lose service when the Cable or power is out. That's when the cell phone is handy.

Three co-workers have switched to MagicJack based on my bragging of how much money I am NOT giving to Time-Warner each month, and all have reported excellent results.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    02-28-2019 @ 01:30 PM
    Thanks
    Another vote for ooma. It's actually around $3/mo but it's just for taxes.

Jim
    BigJim55 likes this.
    '11 3005 4wd R4s w/300 & 60" Std w/Pirahna tb, Artillian 36" forks, Custom 83" SnowBear front blade, Frontier RB2060 blade, King Kutter TG-G-60 tiller and RFM-72 mower, Spee-Co Model-65 phd, Fimco LG-40-3PT sprayer, Tarter SUBY and TMY, Agri-Fab 24x48LR lawn roller & John Deere BW15073 and 6x42lb weights.
    '12 ZTrak Pro 925A-EFi w/60" 7-Iron, AgriFab SmartLink w/(aerator/dethacher/roller), 130lb Spreader & 350lb Poly Cart.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by felixm22 View Post
    I know we have some networking gurus here so I wanted to ask what VOIP service I should get.

My wife and I use our cell phones the majority of the time. We have Sprint service but there is no Sprint coverage at our home. When we moved in we installed an Airave, it is kinda like a personal cell tower. It works ok but our phones don't always ring if someone tries to call. This is not a big issue most of the time but several weeks out of the year my wife is on call and the hospital needs to be able to get ahold of her.

I know there are several options out there to us.

1. Comcast Phone - I hate to give Comcast anymore money than I have to. There phone service is $14.99 a month and we don't need all of the long-distance or international calling.

2. Local Phone co. - I have not looked at prices yet but I'm going to guess that prices are going to be around the same as Comcast.

3. VOIP - This is what I'm really looking for information on. I know there are plans that are closer to $5.00 a month and that sounds way better.

Thanks,
    Mike

Mike , Don't know when your Sprint contract runs out , but my guess is US Cell would provide better coverage than Sprint where you live. Plus it runs off Verizon network when they have no coverage in that area.
    VOIP was just coming in 7-8 yrs ago , I installed a few phones in some of the company buildings , seemed OK . I know why would a phone company want VOIP when the building I was installing it was our Central office where your Dial Tone comes from.. Just a back up plan in case the building was down, and cell service was done. We could go to plan C.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Mike , Don't know when your Sprint contract runs out , but my guess is US Cell would provide better coverage than Sprint where you live.
    It is only at my house that I don't get good sprint coverage and I happy with what I get with sprint and what I have to pay to get it. I'm just really looking for a plan C of my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by felixm22 View Post
    It is only at my house that I don't get good sprint coverage and I happy with what I get with sprint and what I have to pay to get it. I'm just really looking for a plan C of my own.

Doh! Just realized that you already have the Airave... Nevah mind!
    Last edited by JimR; 12-22-2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Iz an idjut!
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast