Like Tree15Likes

Thread: PC Help - power supply replacement

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts

PC Help - power supply replacement

I'm pretty good at fixing my own PC - have changed out memory, drives and graphic cards. Now it seems I need to replace my power supply. In the morning when I turn my PC on the fan squeals - guess the bearing is going. I don't know much about power supplies so wanted to ask - and be sure the one I pick is going to work properly.

Current PC -

Asus standard tower Essentio CM6730-06
    Intel i5-2320
    6GB DDR ram
    nvidia GT520 graphic card (soon to be upgraded)
    Main drive Samsung 128gb SSD - secondary drive 1TB 7200rpm
    One optical drive CD/DVD/RW
    Power supply 300W
    Windows 7 home premium

Looking at what is on special at newegg this morning, I picked out these two:

CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

EVGA 100-W1-500-KR 500W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR 3 Year Warranty Power Supply Intel 4th Gen CPU Ready - Newegg.com

The Corsair is 430W - cost after rebate is $20. The EVGA is 500W - cost after rebate is $25.

I plan on a mild graphic card upgrade in the future so I think 400W or above would be enough.

Any thoughts on which one to choose? Any other suggestions around that price point?

Thanks!
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Can't help with the tech stuff, but make sure you have vacuumed the area around the fan good. Sometimes, a little dust can have them making noise too. Once good and clean, the noise ceases.

Of course, having 2 Beagles allowed in the house, there could never be a dog hair around here!
    Gizmo2 and grnspot110 like this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    It's pretty clean - I have a routine of cleaning once a month. Makes a big difference now that I have it on the desk instead of the floor.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,950 Times in 2,913 Posts
    DC power plugs and power supply mounting are the two big concerns. 500 Watt is pretty big.
    It has been my experience, you may get the fan to quiet down for a while but it's now a matter of time before it will stop all together.
    coaltrain likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 02:48 PM
    Thanks
    You list your case as an "Asus standard tower" but there really is no such thing as a "standard" case. The power supplies you listed are both "ATX" form factor so make sure your case is an ATX case. If it isn't, you'll have major issues getting the power supply to fit.

"ATX" is, by far, the most common case style so your's probably is an ATX but you want to double check that.

Either power supply you listed is more than what you'd need. You've been running all these years on a 300W supply and you don't have all that much in the case that's drawing huge amounts of power.
    coaltrain likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:22 PM
    Thanks
    It looks to be what is called a mid tower PC. Certain that it's an ATX board. Either of those PS's will do the job, but as mentioned the lesser will more than suffice.
    Just noticed the "graphics update soon". What did you plan on doing? Maybe the 500w will be the better choice.
    Last edited by glc; 01-01-2015 at 11:18 AM.
    felixm22 and coaltrain like this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    It has been my experience, you may get the fan to quiet down for a while but it's now a matter of time before it will stop all together.
    I agree completely. The last 2 mornings I did a redneck fix by sticking a pen in the fan shroud to stop it - the second time I did that it ran quietly. This is why I am trying to be preemptive and get one ordered today.

Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    You list your case as an "Asus standard tower" but there really is no such thing as a "standard" case. The power supplies you listed are both "ATX" form factor so make sure your case is an ATX case. If it isn't, you'll have major issues getting the power supply to fit.

"ATX" is, by far, the most common case style so your's probably is an ATX but you want to double check that.

Either power supply you listed is more than what you'd need. You've been running all these years on a 300W supply and you don't have all that much in the case that's drawing huge amounts of power.
    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    It looks to be what is called a mid tower PC. Certain that it's an ATX board. Either of those PS's will do the job, but as mentioned the lesser will more than suffice.
    This is why I am glad I asked. Here is the page from which I ordered it with the specs:

ASUS Essentio CM6730-06 Desktop PC Intel Core i5 2320 (3.00GHz) 6GB DDR3 1TB HDD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit - Newegg.com

Under form factor all it says is "Tower". Is there anything else I can do to identify if that is an ATX?
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 02:48 PM
    Thanks
    I poked around on the Web but there doesn't seem to be any definitive info that I can find.

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to open the case and look for a label on your existing power supply. Punch the model number off of the power supply into Google and you'll probably get the answer in a second or less.
    coaltrain likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    I would guess that the case is ATX as well as the current PSU. If it were me I would go with the larger 500w if you are looking to upgrade in the future. If by chance your current case is not ATX cases aren't to expensive and newegg probably has a bunch on clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    farmgirl19 and BigJim55 like this.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:16 PM
    Thanks
    Desktops - Essentio CM6730 - ASUS

It came with a 300 watt power supply. Any ATX PS with at lease 300w would work stock. You should be fine with the 420 watt for your future expansion.

Edited to add, depending on the GFX card, you may want to go with 500w

This is a post about your current plans.
    Last edited by Bubber; 01-01-2015 at 01:37 PM.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubber For This Useful Post:

coaltrain (01-01-2015)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast