Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Learning windows 8.1

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 05:58 PM
    Thanks

Learning windows 8.1

Ok, I got this new Dell computer, a desktop with windows 8.1 Now the question is how I can teach myself how to use 8.1 Like I need to learn all the day to day basics so I can maneuver around. Is there a tutorial out there that will get me going. I'm not at all a geek minded person, so I need it simple without all the technical horse hockey. Maybe a "Book for Dunces" or a CD. Right now I really need the basics. Would YouTube be a good option? I've looked there but I see a lot of conflicting information from all those "experts". Thanks for your suggestions.
    BigJim55 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks
    You can get it straight from the horses mouth to start.

Getting started tutorials for Windows - Windows tutorial

I'll check around for more good tutorials.
    farmgirl19 and BigJim55 like this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubber For This Useful Post:

Maddog (01-07-2015)

5. Top | #3
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:26 PM
    Thanks
    Wait for Windows 10 and upgrade.
    Seriously though. If you're a PC guy and have always been one, Win 8.1 isn't like what you're used to, and probably won't be liked very well. IMHO,of course.
    Win 8.1 is really meant for touch screens and Gates tried to shove it down us mouse and keyboard PC users throats. It was not taken well at all, and that's why Win 10 is kind of a step backwards so to speak to make amends to the millions of us "old schoolers" out there in computer land.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:00 AM
    Thanks
    I've had a Surface Pro 3 now for a few months, I am still getting accustomed to 8.1 but the more I use it, the more I like it. 8.1 works well for switching between the tablet being used as a touch device and desktop.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Seriously though. If you're a PC guy and have always been one, Win 8.1 isn't like what you're used to, and probably won't be liked very well. IMHO,of course.
    Win 8.1 is really meant for touch screens and Gates tried to shove it down us mouse and keyboard PC users throats. It was not taken well at all, and that's why Win 10 is kind of a step backwards so to speak to make amends to the millions of us "old schoolers" out there in computer land.
    LOL!!! I was going to suggest joining the MS developers group and download the latest beta of Win10. I have it on a laptop and it works pretty good. I haven't had any issues with it, but I'm just screwing around on the 'net and email and such. Office '03 does work fine on it though.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    I don't have an issue with my new windows 8.1-I like it. I just have to learn my way around it. If waiting for windows 10 to come out will solve some user problems, that's great. But you know it won't end there because there will be the usual complainers & moaners wanting windows 11. What I don't understand is that if all these critics can point out the fault of things we use every day, why can't they also state the required fix or repair.

Everybody is always looking for more of the thing that's going to kill us in the end....Technology...always wanted, never fully understood. I'm not anti technology, but I don't see much use for it if you can't apply it to your needs. Wanting more of it, or wanting bigger or better won't make us happy. It will just leave us craving for more junk we can't use. I have a son in law who can't put down his smart phone, & talks about this stuff to the point of making me sick listening to him. I shut him up by asking him to change the oil in my car or help me mend the fence......clueless. In my world oil changes & fence mending beats window 10,12,50,100 any day.
    glc, andy b., HydroHarold and 1 others like this.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    You can get it straight from the horses mouth to start.

Getting started tutorials for Windows - Windows tutorial

I'll check around for more good tutorials.
    Thanks! I went to the link you posted. Very good. I think it will get me going in the right direction. -Maddog

11. Top | #8
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:26 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    I don't have an issue with my new windows 8.1-I like it. I just have to learn my way around it. If waiting for windows 10 to come out will solve some user problems, that's great. But you know it won't end there because there will be the usual complainers & moaners wanting windows 11. What I don't understand is that if all these critics can point out the fault of things we use every day, why can't they also state the required fix or repair.

Everybody is always looking for more of the thing that's going to kill us in the end....Technology...always wanted, never fully understood. I'm not anti technology, but I don't see much use for it if you can't apply it to your needs. Wanting more of it, or wanting bigger or better won't make us happy. It will just leave us craving for more junk we can't use. I have a son in law who can't put down his smart phone, & talks about this stuff to the point of making me sick listening to him. I shut him up by asking him to change the oil in my car or help me mend the fence......clueless. In my world oil changes & fence mending beats window 10,12,50,100 any day.
    I hear ya Maddog. I don't have a problem using Win 7, and I was just as content with Win XP. But they (MS) will quit updating the OS (like they did with XP) and we will be forced into the next generation of OS's. I don't do touch screens as computers go, so Win 8 is not for me. But we would have been forced into it, like it or not. Luckily there was enough of an uproar from the masses that MS went back to the drawing board and came up with a "fix" so to speak which will be Win 10.
    farmgirl19 likes this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    I hear ya Maddog. I don't have a problem using Win 7, and I was just as content with Win XP. But they (MS) will quit updating the OS (like they did with XP) and we will be forced into the next generation of OS's. I don't do touch screens as computers go, so Win 8 is not for me. But we would have been forced into it, like it or not. Luckily there was enough of an uproar from the masses that MS went back to the drawing board and came up with a "fix" so to speak which will be Win 10.
    I could be wrong on this stuff, but as far as I know Windows 8 and/or windows 8.1 have touch screens as an option- it is NOT mandated. At least that's my understanding. When I got my new computer with 8.1 I had it set up by my local "GO to" Geek guy who told me it's an option for those who have touch screen screens.

There is so much misinformation regarding this stuff it's almost impossible to get valid opinions on what's good, bad, etc. All I know is that what I know about this stuff you could stick on the head of a pin & have room leftover. I'm just a stupid every day user, like surfing, web mail, you tube, GTT. Do I really want to spend my time in life worrying over Windows, 7, XP, 8, 11, or whatever. Speaking only for MYSELF---NO. It's kind of like having an endless discussion over the pros & cons of regular oil changes. Just change the freaking oil instead of wasting your life worrying about it. But this is me. I'm old now. When you get old you see the stupidity of this stuff clearer than you can ever understand when your a young wiper snapper.
    HydroHarold likes this.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    I could be wrong on this stuff, but as far as I know Windows 8 and/or windows 8.1 have touch screens as an option- it is NOT mandated. At least that's my understanding. When I got my new computer with 8.1 I had it set up by my local "GO to" Geek guy who told me it's an option for those who have touch screen screens.
    It isn't that Win 8/8.1 mandates a touch screen, it is that it was not designed to be user friendly with a mouse, and as such sucked for non-touch screen uses. I do 99% of my computer activities on a desktop, and I hate "touch screen keypads". Win 8 was one giant PITA to me. I mean, how much trouble would it be for Microcrap to leave the "Start" button in the lower left corner? It has only been there for 20 years and it doesn't take up much screen real estate. I shouldn't have to download 3 gigs of Win 8.1 to enable the Start button.
    Kennyd, glc, ejb69 and 1 others like this.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast