windows VS mac
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: windows VS mac

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Location
    Belton, South Carolina
    Posts
    1,646
    Thanks
    499
    Thanked 130 Times in 103 Posts

    windows VS mac

    I recently had to download the latest changes to windows 10. Halfway into the updates & ran into trouble & nothing worked correctly. Took my computer to my local moonlight computer pro who got it on tack for me. But now I can't figure the thing out. Email has become a big issue. Can't understand how to use it. Can't save email addresses or figure out the very basics of it. I will admit a lot of it is my fault. I make no effort to stay informed about this computer junk. It bores the hell out of me & I don't have an aptitude for it.

    A friend of mine has a Mac system & he is telling me to move over to a Mac. Keeps claiming its idiot proof (He means me when he says Idiot). I have never used a Mac before. Maybe he is right. My computer skills stink. Is Mac all that much easier to learn & use. I also want to set up a website using Wordpress. Would Mac be a better way to do that? Can someone give me their opinion on this. Should I force myself to learn the new Windows or just go for the Mac system.

    How hard would it be to pick up the Mac stuff. And how often does Apple change the Mac stuff sending me down the same road with having to deal with changes. My major problem is I have no one near me that can teach me this stuff & I really stink at it. Thanks for the opinions & advice.
    Herminator likes this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    johnH123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:12 PM
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,365
    Thanks
    462
    Thanked 327 Times in 276 Posts
    The icons in mac are different than windows, so there is a learning curve there. Also, the biggest downside (to me, anyway) is that the file system is VERY different, which makes it confusing for folks like myself who are used to the windows system.

    Other than that, the consensus among my circle is that macs are more of a status symbol, because we view them as overpriced for what you get. You can get a pretty nice high powered top of the line windows gaming laptop for as much as a mac. On the flip side, mac is very optimized for everything it runs, so most things are smooth and fast. Also, macbooks are super advanced in the ports department (not many legacy ports like normal USB or VGA) so you may have issues there as they have mostly switched to USB-c and thunderbolt. some of the hardware isn't really that great either, but like i said, its optimized so no real issue there.




    Also, you may get a kick out of this;

    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

    Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to johnH123 For This Useful Post:

    Maddog†(07-03-2018)

  5. Top | #3
    ctrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 10:02 PM
    Location
    Leeds, Maine
    Posts
    581
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked 153 Times in 80 Posts
    When I retired, November 2016, I decided to switch over to an iMac. It was expensive although I didn’t need the 27” 4K screen, etc. but we wanted it.

    My job included keeping software up to date on a server and 10 other PCs and laptops for students and instructors. This was one of many responsibilities I had but found myself constantly on a daily basis fixing or updating something. I’m no expert but it really took up too much of my time.

    Now that I’m on a Mac, I have very little maintenance or issues. A few OS updates but that’s it. It syncs with my iPhone well and has been flawless.

    Yes there were and stil are things that I scratch my head over from trying to operate it like a pc but overall I love it for its consistent performance.
    Superglidesport and Marlin like this.
    2012 JD 2320
    1985 JD 318
    1952 JD MC
    1974 IH 784 4WD

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to ctrider For This Useful Post:

    Maddog†(07-03-2018)

  7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  8. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Location
    Belton, South Carolina
    Posts
    1,646
    Thanks
    499
    Thanked 130 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrider View Post
    When I retired, November 2016, I decided to switch over to an iMac. It was expensive although I didnít need the 27Ē 4K screen, etc. but we wanted it.

    My job included keeping software up to date on a server and 10 other PCs and laptops for students and instructors. This was one of many responsibilities I had but found myself constantly on a daily basis fixing or updating something. Iím no expert but it really took up too much of my time.

    Now that Iím on a Mac, I have very little maintenance or issues. A few OS updates but thatís it. It syncs with my iPhone well and has been flawless.

    Yes there were and stil are things that I scratch my head over from trying to operate it like a pc but overall I love it for its consistent performance.
    OK- the comments here have me thinking that maybe I should try out a Mac system. My local expert generally ends up with computers that people give him. He sells some as used but working well & some he fixes & gives them for free to local schools, nursing homes, vets care facilities, etc. I think I will ask him about finding one for me to tryout. Thanks.
    etcallhome and coaltrain like this.

  9. Top | #5
    Sergeant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:58 PM
    Location
    Kane County,IL
    Posts
    1,138
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 210 Times in 169 Posts
    Well I was a Computer hardware Tech for the Last 6 years Been trained In it for 9 Years and Technically still are a Hardware Tech Only there sending there computer from India & Costa Rica to me. I am a IT Support Desk Manager(only good thing I work from Home(in shorts and a T-shirt right now). But I still do the Hardware support Because none of My guys & Gals have done the Hardware support other Than changing a Hard Drive or Memory (I hate all computers BTW)( background reasoning for Hating computers Well lets see I was In the Infantry and Special forces for 21.5 years, IL State Trooper technically for 3 years & Civilian Military advisor for almost 8 years What the H**L do I need a computer for) I am certified In Both MAC & Many PC Manufacturers.

    Few questions Maddog
    How Much Memory/Ram are You running In Your Current PC?
    What Program did Your Current PC Have when You Bought it?

    Mac are fine computers if You Have to do a Lot of Video editing Other than That there are Just Not worth it
    Once a MAC has a Hardware Problem Can You say Hope You Have a apple store Near Buy or Your More than Likely going to be sending it to a depot. Now Keep In mind Once It's In a depot doesn't Matter the Manufacture some of the Parts used will be USED that they Put Back In it

    Most other PC Manufactures Have at Home service. Apple does offer that But if You want your apple Put Back together right You send it to a depot or a Apple store (which means you will be without your computer a week to 10 days if it requires service)

    From a Hardware standpoint Apple is the worst Put together computer You Can Buy

    I would suggest Looking at a Lenovo Computer. It's a Chinese company(Hong Kong Based) That Makes there computer Here In the US (Lenovo is Basically a IBM computer.) Lenovo always Made the Computers for IBM even when there were Called IBM. When IBM decided to get out of the PC Market They Just sold it or Gave it to Lenovo to Just continue with out the IBM Name

    I don't recommend Dell!! Most thought when Michael Dell Bought the company Back and Made it Private again that quality would Improve But it has been the Opposite it has gotten worse. I would Only recommend a Dell Optiplex 3050 0r 7050 Micro It's a Desk Top Computer about the size of a I PAD You still need a Monitor, Keyboard & Mouse. But there very easy to Maintain and You get US support for it

    You Can run a Virtual machine of windows 10 On a Mac Instead of Using there own software. Which is Not as safe as they Put out to the Public There still just as easy to Hack as anyone using windows

    DO NOT BUY a ALL In One Computer No Matter who Makes it None of the Manufactures Have come out with decent All In One computer that is reliable. Especially if Your running wireless

    Again Unless Your Buying a PC for editing a Lot of Video or doing a Lot of CAD Your Just Paying for the Name with Apple/Mac and Not for quality

    If Your Having Problem Now with a standard PC Going to Mac is Not going to be any easier. It could be a super Huge Learning curve for You

    Right Now I am Just Bidding my time In IT Until a JD salesman retirees at My Local JD dealer In the next year or so. So I can finally be In a Job I will love again Like the Army ( Did I mention I HATE COMPUTERS!!!)
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

    MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sergeant For This Useful Post:

    johnH123†(07-03-2018)

  11. Top | #6
    johnH123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:12 PM
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,365
    Thanks
    462
    Thanked 327 Times in 276 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post
    Well I was a Computer hardware Tech for the Last 6 years Been trained In it for 9 Years and Technically still are a Hardware Tech Only there sending there computer from India & Costa Rica to me. I am a IT Support Desk Manager(only good thing I work from Home(in shorts and a T-shirt right now). But I still do the Hardware support Because none of My guys & Gals have done the Hardware support other Than changing a Hard Drive or Memory (I hate all computers BTW)( background reasoning for Hating computers Well lets see I was In the Infantry and Special forces for 21.5 years, IL State Trooper technically for 3 years & Civilian Military advisor for almost 8 years What the H**L do I need a computer for) I am certified In Both MAC & Many PC Manufacturers.

    Few questions Maddog
    How Much Memory/Ram are You running In Your Current PC?
    What Program did Your Current PC Have when You Bought it?

    Mac are fine computers if You Have to do a Lot of Video editing Other than That there are Just Not worth it
    Once a MAC has a Hardware Problem Can You say Hope You Have a apple store Near Buy or Your More than Likely going to be sending it to a depot. Now Keep In mind Once It's In a depot doesn't Matter the Manufacture some of the Parts used will be USED that they Put Back In it

    Most other PC Manufactures Have at Home service. Apple does offer that But if You want your apple Put Back together right You send it to a depot or a Apple store (which means you will be without your computer a week to 10 days if it requires service)

    From a Hardware standpoint Apple is the worst Put together computer You Can Buy

    I would suggest Looking at a Lenovo Computer. It's a Chinese company(Hong Kong Based) That Makes there computer Here In the US (Lenovo is Basically a IBM computer.) Lenovo always Made the Computers for IBM even when there were Called IBM. When IBM decided to get out of the PC Market They Just sold it or Gave it to Lenovo to Just continue with out the IBM Name

    I don't recommend Dell!! Most thought when Michael Dell Bought the company Back and Made it Private again that quality would Improve But it has been the Opposite it has gotten worse. I would Only recommend a Dell Optiplex 3050 0r 7050 Micro It's a Desk Top Computer about the size of a I PAD You still need a Monitor, Keyboard & Mouse. But there very easy to Maintain and You get US support for it

    You Can run a Virtual machine of windows 10 On a Mac Instead of Using there own software. Which is Not as safe as they Put out to the Public There still just as easy to Hack as anyone using windows

    DO NOT BUY a ALL In One Computer No Matter who Makes it None of the Manufactures Have come out with decent All In One computer that is reliable. Especially if Your running wireless

    Again Unless Your Buying a PC for editing a Lot of Video or doing a Lot of CAD Your Just Paying for the Name with Apple/Mac and Not for quality

    If Your Having Problem Now with a standard PC Going to Mac is Not going to be any easier. It could be a super Huge Learning curve for You

    Right Now I am Just Bidding my time In IT Until a JD salesman retirees at My Local JD dealer In the next year or so. So I can finally be In a Job I will love again Like the Army ( Did I mention I HATE COMPUTERS!!!)
    This kind of gets back to what I was saying earlier about status symbols. Imo, the mac is an overpriced under-spec/powered machine that people buy because its 'cool' or trendy. Not saying that you're a trendy, or thats why you are buying, but if you want good functionality hardware wise, go with windows.

    here are some comparably priced options as a mac; you can see that you get more bang for your buck this way.

    acer predator


    asus vivobook


    asus ROG

    here's one that I'm currently looking at, just for food for thought;
    Acer aspire E15
    Tomfive likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

    Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

  12. Top | #7
    Sergeant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:58 PM
    Location
    Kane County,IL
    Posts
    1,138
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 210 Times in 169 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    This kind of gets back to what I was saying earlier about status symbols. Imo, the mac is an overpriced under-spec/powered machine that people buy because its 'cool' or trendy. Not saying that you're a trendy, or thats why you are buying, but if you want good functionality hardware wise, go with windows.

    here are some comparably priced options as a mac; you can see that you get more bang for your buck this way.

    acer predator


    asus vivobook


    asus ROG

    here's one that I'm currently looking at, just for food for thought;
    Acer aspire E15
    Asus is a Very Hardy computer. Wish Bushiness would use them more. Then they wouldn't need Many Hardware techs and the software Techs would be In business
    BigJim55 and johnH123 like this.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

    MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

  13. Top | #8
    IndianaJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,448
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 198 Times in 151 Posts
    Just an observation, and nothing against anyone one way or the other...
    If you look at the people commenting and their background, you will see, if you can decipher all of it, my basic opinion regarding Apple in general.
    The guys with IT background and that know their way round Windows inside and out say its a waste of money to go MAC. Those that dont like MAC.
    Nothing wrong either way, its just one of those "what works best for you" questions.
    It breaks down like this:
    Do you know a bunch about computers?
    No-Apple is easier Yes-save your money and stick to Windows
    Do you want ease of use?
    Kind of a tie. Both can be a PITA at times.

    The rest is a lot of maybes...
    If you run a lot of different programs, MAC isnt ideal. They dont always work as intended with programs they claim to support.
    Its because they hold a MUCH smaller market share, that simple.
    If you are just on a computer checking email, surfing the web, doing minor stuff, and do NOT want to have issues with updates, errors, etc, MAC is the way to go. Actually, for that an iPad or similar is probably better at this point.
    Going to a MAC, you do overpay (as you do with anything Apple), but that too is all relevant.
    Do you have a bunch of other Apple devices? They work much better together than anything else. Its what they do, and they do it VERY well.

    Ive never been in IT, or tech support or any other computer related field.
    I have built my own computers since Windows 95 though. I know my way around a computer.
    When my Mom gets a new computer, Im going to just tell her to get a MAC and be done (or just buy her one). Yes, its more money, but they generally last longer without needing upgrades to run the latest programs, and they rarely have issues. My Mom is always calling with some issue with her laptop.
    Personally, I am running Windows based PCs, and Apple devices (phones, tablets). I only need my phone to do what I want it to do when I want it to do it. Android stuff sometimes gets a mind of its own. Its apps dont necessarily work as intended. Its getting a LOT better, but still has issues. I have that with computers, I dont need it with a phone.
    I also believe if you are going to get a Windows based PC, buy a business class system. Or a gaming system. Dont get the el cheapo stuff you see at the electronics store, as they dont last.
    I probably would have gone to MAC sooner had they been cheaper, and had I not needed to run AutoCAD, as the version I had was not MAC compatible. Thats a much more recent development. Im not limited by that anymore, so maybe I will and maybe I wont.
    The older I get, the less I want to mess with stuff dealing with random issues here and there and making sure all my programs are up to date and that nothing is interfering with anything else, and the more likely I am to switch to MAC pcs.
    Windows isnt a big deal really, but the updates are ridiculous.

    Bottom line, what you are paying for with a MAC is the same thing you pay extra for a Deere. Ease of use. Convenience and long life.
    People say Deere is overpriced for what you get, but a lot of those people have never spent any real time on a Deere compared to other brands.

    As to your email issues, I dont know who you use, or if you use a mail client like Outlook or Thunderbird, but those clients can cause issues all their own.
    I recently had to deal with that with Mozillas Thunderbird and my business email. It wouldnt connect, then it wouldnt send. I finally got it sorted, but it was a pain.
    Thats not really a Windows vs Mac issue though, as I see it anyway.
    Last edited by IndianaJim; 07-03-2018 at 12:47 PM.
    Tomfive, johnH123 and ctrider like this.
    Jim B.

    318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

    Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

  14. Top | #9
    Sergeant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:58 PM
    Location
    Kane County,IL
    Posts
    1,138
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 210 Times in 169 Posts
    I actually have Both a MAC & a Lenovo Mid Grad Business Line.
    Used a Mac for Years working for the federal Government Because I had to to a Lot of Video editing for the Training Films I had to Make Up . I do service Now with software Issues On Both MAC and PC's and Hardware issues Not all companies Just use windows based PC's You get the same amount of software Issues with MAC that You do with PC's running windows our clients around the world On all continents(yes I said All Continents) use a Mixture of Mac & PC.

    I honestly do not see Buying a Mac except for the Name and status are they any better than Dell, Lenovo, Asus ect . Pure and simple No!

    In some way I get More Calls for MAC Biggest complaint I get. I Bought a Mac so I wouldn't have these Kinds of Problems.

    That says to me That The Mighty established themselves with there Name. They think because there Name is so Great! They can Lower there standards and sell You a sub standard computer with a Nice Looking outside.

    Many of the Big Name Computer Companies did this they establish themselves with a Name & reputation and they Cut corners .

    Tractor companies do that as well even Deere as we have seen In recent Years has done that with some of there outdoor Power equipment.
    They established there Box store Line Based originally On there STX and GT 275 with a different Paint scheme and slowly The Price has dropped Because they Have had to drop there standards a bit to compete.But the Price reflects That.

    My Problem with MAC is the Price is going Up but there quality is going down On the Inside of the Machine. So today Your Not getting that Mac from 10 years ago. But Your Paying a Higher Price for it with sub standard Parts.

    But that can be a Problem when a Leader is Lost or moves on. Don't Care the Manufacturer It Happens In some Parts of any Industry.

    Yes all Computer Manufacturers do it to some extent Drop quality and raise there Price

    But I see it More from Mac Than any other computer Manufacturer I service with software or Hardware. That's my reasoning for Not recommending a Mac Unless they Have certain needs That a standard PC Might not be able to fill.

    Because for running a Business office setting or Just Home computing uses There are a Lot of PC's out there Better than MAC and at Lower Prices and a Better Physically built Machine.

    Last edited by Sergeant; 07-03-2018 at 02:03 PM.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

    MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

  15. Top | #10
    356
    356 is offline
    356's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:49 AM
    Location
    Northwest Missouri
    Posts
    763
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 181 Times in 119 Posts
    I was a diehard PC guy until windows 10. I made the transition to Mac at home and work and am glad I did. They are not quite idiot proof, but are close. Yes, there is a leaning curve. Macs have a much better user support system (if needed) and great battery life. The time, effort and money are worth it, IMHO.
    JD 3025E | D160 loader | JD 413 Rotary Cutter | Behlen 7' grader blade | JD cultivator | Farm King PHD w/12" auger | Titan Ballast Box | 61" Pirhana bar | JD Sod Buster | Titan Pallet Fork w/receiver | Edge Tamers with Extensions | 5' King Kutter Rotary Tiller
    JD Z-Trac 335E with hitch and bumper kit | JD 8 cu ft cart
    JD D-100 Lawn Tractor w 42" deck | 10 cu ft HF cart
    1948 Ford 8N l 6' tooth harrow l Kawasaki Mule XC-SE
    Weather KMOLAWSO17 It's always sunny...unless it is not

  16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts