Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Selecting & using a Tablet

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks

Selecting & using a Tablet

I'm interested in possibly buying one of those Tablet devices. What I want it for is so I can sit on my porch & simply surf the web from my porch or send & answer emails. I've been using my wife's laptop for this but would like something less bulky, lighter & easier to use.

I went into Best Buys but found very little in the price range I'm willing to pay. I don't want to spend more than $100. I'm thinking Walmart or Target might have something. Can someone suggest a brand & what I should be looking for. I want to keep it simple. I have Verizon Wi-Fi service here at my house that I will hook it up to. Thanks
    Superglidesport likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:18 PM
    Thanks
    I have had an ipad mini for a few years but that is out of your price range. I did just get my boys a pair of Fire 7 tablets so they can do their summer reading. I have not spent any time with it as far as web surfing but it is integrated into the Android/Amazon world so I have hopes it performs well for this as well as email. they were only $65 for a 16g version.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    Might look into the Amazon Fire tablets.
    We have a smaller one and it works fine.

Kind of depends on the size you are after too, as I believe Amazon only has the 8" (Ipad Mini size).

I personally like a bigger screen, but for the price, its impossible to beat.

Im not familiar with anything other than that tablet and the Ipad mini and standard. I prefer the size of the standard, but ether works fine for email, surfing here and there when Im otherwise not at a computer. Sure beats the heck out of trying to do it on my phone.

I cant recall the name of it right now, but there is a big website dedicated to selling used mobile devices. Might look at a used one too, and get a bit better tablet for the money you want to spend.
    Last edited by IndianaJim; 07-31-2018 at 02:32 PM.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:15 PM
    Thanks
    A 7" kindle fire would be great for you. I have a 3rd gen, so a little older, but the email and web browsing is very intuitive.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Might look into the Amazon Fire tablets.
    We have a smaller one and it works fine.

Kind of depends on the size you are after too, as I believe Amazon only has the 8" (Ipad Mini size).

I personally like a bigger screen, but for the price, its impossible to beat.

Im not familiar with anything other than that tablet and the Ipad mini and standard. I prefer the size of the standard, but ether works fine for email, surfing here and there when Im otherwise not at a computer. Sure beats the heck out of trying to do it on my phone.

I cant recall the name of it right now, but there is a big website dedicated to selling used mobile devices. Might look at a used one too, and get a bit better tablet for the money you want to spend.
    What other devices do you own, use, and like? Yes, the Apple iPad is going to be more than your stated budget. But, if you have an iPhone, the integration of the two is excellent and you don't have to learn a new operating system. You can also find deals on used Apple equipment and the devices reset to factory very easily. You can buy them online, but you need to know a little bit about how to buy them (what questions to ask, how to verify them). Buying them from a retailer (like Best Buy) as open box is fairly safe as well.

While I've read decent things about the Fire Tablets, I've also read a lot of stuff that seems to imply that you need to be careful what one you buy because they are not all capable of the same things.
    Superglidesport and jdmich like this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Ipad MINI is hard to beat. I have over 100 deployed in my company with my field service techs and they abuse the heck out of them. They are durable and are extremely easy to use. If all you want to do is surf the web then buy a certified refurnished one off Amazon with 16GB for $110. If you want to store pics and content on it then you can get a new 128GB gen 4 for around $350.
    *JOHN DEERE 2038R w/ 220R FEL-72" AUTOCONNECT MMM-270B BACKHOE-8"-16" BUCKET-KBOHC-IMATCH QUICK HITCH w/KBOHTH-BALLAST BOX-42" ARTILLIAN FORKS-FRONTIER RC2060-FRONTIER RB2072-LANDPRIDE CA1556-LANDPRIDE FSP 700-LANDPRIDE PD25-12'-24" AUGERS-EA 60" GARDEN BEDDER-EA 72" HD LAND PLANE-NORTHSTAR 55 GAL SPRAYER-TUFF TOP SCR-44-COUNTYLINE CARRYALL
    *JOHN DEERE Z930M 60" MOD-FULL SUSPENSION SEAT-ZGLIDE SUSPENSION-XTWEEL TIRES

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    That is exactly why I use my tablet (iPad 2017) way much more than my PC nowadays. I have a leather cover that also acts as a stand which sits perfectly on my lap in my recliner. Once my PC bites the dust I doubt I will replace it now.

For your budget the Amazon Fire tablets are a no brainer.

A WiFi only iPad is around $330 right now but will likely be $299 in the fall.
    Superglidesport and jdmich like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    07-19-2019 @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    I've got an older version of the Amazon Fire Tablet with an 8" screen , and it can do a lot of things including taking pictures. But the range you want to use it at is gonna depend on how far your router will let you go before you lose signal .

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks
    iPhone and iPad is what I use. They mirror each other so makes it nice, would be lost without it. Hardly use my laptop for the last three years+. Just got my Mom and iPad at bestbuy for $259, the air which she can use in WiFi or cellar. She winters in Arizona so now we can FaceTime, send her pictures of grandkids etc.. Finally talked her into it and she loves it. Simple to use. She had a laptop years ago and got frustrated with it and threw it in garbage.
    Anymore wife and I use iPads for everything.
    coaltrain and goat704! like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 08:27 PM
    Thanks
    Like others said. Iíd seriously look into getting the iPad. You will never go back to a computer again.

How much internet do you actually use with that hotspot and what for? You may possibly be able to get an iPad with cellular through Verizon with no interest and use the iPad anywhere you go. Even if itís a hammock in the woods. Then when you are at the house you can use the iPad as a hotspot. And stop paying for the hotspot in the house. If you take the iPad on vacation you can hotspot internet for everyone.

Just a thought
    jdmich likes this.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isnít paying attention*

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast