Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: My computer was NOT broke, it was the Monitor

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Thanks

My computer was NOT broke, it was the Monitor

About a month ago I started having problmes with my computer.

It would not "wake up" when you moved the mouse after leaving it ON, but idle for a while.

I would do a forced shutdown with the computer power button and then it would work again. That only worked for a few days, then even a forced shutdown would not work when restarted.

I took it to the local "GEEK" repair place. They called and said they could not duplicated the problem. They said sometimes you have to unplug the computer and let the "electric drain off" and that must have been why it worked OK for them when I brought it in.

I took it home and it worked only the first day. I even went to the "sleep" settings for the computer and set them for NEVER.

I took it back and told I still have the same problem. They had it a week and said they could not duplicate the problem and it might be the monitor, please bring in the monitor.

I took the monitor in. A week later thye called and said the monitor was the problem. It was not "waking up" from it's power saver/sleep mode.

I had old tiny monitor and so far so good!!!

I got spoiled by the bigger monitor I had, so time to once again go monitor shopping. I have room for a 23 or 24 inch monitor.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    ... "electric drain off" and that must have been why it worked OK for them when I brought it in...
    Easy to overlook the monitor...I've had something similar before, it can be frustrating to locate these kinds of issues. Glad you have it figured out.

Regarding the power draining...it's called FLEA POWER. I was having a server issue and draining the flea power helped, didn't know it was a thing.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 56Nine For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (08-03-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I am a Dummy with a capital D when it comes to computers

The repair shop figured it out, credit where credit is due They said it might be a capacitor on the power board, but might be something else too. They thought repair cost would exceed the value of the monitor.

Total bill was $25
    J

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Nine View Post
    Easy to overlook the monitor...I've had something similar before, it can be frustrating to locate these kinds of issues. Glad you have it figured out.

Regarding the power draining...it's called FLEA POWER. I was having a server issue and draining the flea power helped, didn't know it was a thing.
    As far as I'm concerned, it's NOT a thing.

If your computer is retaining enough of a static charge or similar to cause it to malfunction, you have an actual problem somewhere. Bad ground, open circuit, bad capacitor, etc. There is absolutely no reason that an electrical / electronic device would function this way. My computer equipment in my house (and there is a LOT of it) gets disconnected from power very infrequently (like, when I move or when the power fails). I have -never- solved a problem with a device by disconnecting it from power and the reconnecting without also determining that there was a faulty part somewhere.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    About a month ago I started having problmes with my computer.

It would not "wake up" when you moved the mouse after leaving it ON, but idle for a while.

I would do a forced shutdown with the computer power button and then it would work again. That only worked for a few days, then even a forced shutdown would not work when restarted.

I took it to the local "GEEK" repair place. They called and said they could not duplicated the problem. They said sometimes you have to unplug the computer and let the "electric drain off" and that must have been why it worked OK for them when I brought it in.

I took it home and it worked only the first day. I even went to the "sleep" settings for the computer and set them for NEVER.

I took it back and told I still have the same problem. They had it a week and said they could not duplicate the problem and it might be the monitor, please bring in the monitor.

I took the monitor in. A week later thye called and said the monitor was the problem. It was not "waking up" from it's power saver/sleep mode.

I had old tiny monitor and so far so good!!!

I got spoiled by the bigger monitor I had, so time to once again go monitor shopping. I have room for a 23 or 24 inch monitor.
    Interesting that the monitor would wake up properly some of the time and not others. If the cable on the monitor is detachable at both ends, try turning it around or even swapping in a different one. It's possible that the issue is actually one of the connectors on the cable ends.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
    Interesting that the monitor would wake up properly some of the time and not others. If the cable on the monitor is detachable at both ends, try turning it around or even swapping in a different one. It's possible that the issue is actually one of the connectors on the cable ends.
    Which cable? video? I am using the same video cable on a different monitor and no problems so far.
    J

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Which cable? video? I am using the same video cable on a different monitor and no problems so far.
    Yes, the video cable. There's a [very small] chance that there could be an issue with a corroded contact. You might actually have addressed it simply by removing the cable and reattaching it. Would be worth a try (IMHO) as it's a zero cost thing to test.
    ---

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Yes, the video cable. There's a [very small] chance that there could be an issue with a corroded contact. You might actually have addressed it simply by removing the cable and reattaching it. Would be worth a try (IMHO) as it's a zero cost thing to test.
    I had the video cable off the computer multiple times taking it to the repair shop, but only off the monitor once when I switched to an old monitor I had. The cable uses two screws to keep the connection tight. The screws were still tight.

I ordered a new monitor (repair shop said old one was the problem), since I am spoiled by the size I had and the old spare is much smaller. I guess I could put the old one on first when the new one comes in and see if it works.

I did take the monitor to the shop after they could not duplicate the problem when I took the computer back a second time, since it was still doing the same as before. They called and asked me to bring the monitor in.

They thought a power board in the monitor was bad and would not "wake up" They used their cables. They said repair cost would be about $75% of the cost of a new monitor, or more.
    J

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Thanks
    As far as I'm concerned, it's NOT a thing.

If your computer is retaining enough of a static charge or similar to cause it to malfunction, you have an actual problem somewhere. Bad ground, open circuit, bad capacitor, etc. There is absolutely no reason that an electrical / electronic device would function this way. My computer equipment in my house (and there is a LOT of it) gets disconnected from power very infrequently (like, when I move or when the power fails). I have -never- solved a problem with a device by disconnecting it from power and the reconnecting without also determining that there was a faulty part somewhere.
    Ok, if you say so, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Dell and HP both support it for laptops, and I have experienced it first hand on a server. I hope your equipment continues to work flawlessly.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Nine View Post
    Ok, if you say so, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Dell and HP both support it for laptops, and I have experienced it first hand on a server. I hope your equipment continues to work flawlessly.
    Both of those articles essentially describe the same thing... How to get ALL of the various capacitors in the machine discharged so that any residual stored energy that might keep something in an "on" state will otherwise get reset as well. While this is absolutely something that does sometime happen, it's more prone to occur on laptops because of the high heat in small spaces, which tends to degrade capacitors and cause them to do odd things. So, again, while needing to perform this step is something that can occur, it is not "the cause" of the problem but only a symptom of another issue somewhere else. Manufacturers of all kinds of electronic devices publish this type of procedure (cell phones are a big one) merely because the products components are produced within tolerances and they don't want to have to take it back or deal with the fact that the tolerances lead to these situations sometimes.
    ---

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast