• 2 Post By coaltrain
  • 2 Post By ddinham
  • 2 Post By mark02tj
  • 3 Post By SulleyBear

Thread: Video issue, wondering if it's a setting or new editing program

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,404 Posts

Video issue, wondering if it's a setting or new editing program

I have a bunch of video which I have recorded with a GoPro Knockoff camera. Lately, when I open the video file, which can be anywhere from 1,750,000kb to 2,400,000kb, the file appears but it only plays for one second or so and the entire "time bar" in the bottom of the video goes from the left side to the right, indicating the file has been played in full.

I know these files are much larger than that ( one or two seconds) and some of them, in fact many of them, I have watched in their entirety.

The camera records for 10 minutes and then it starts recording in a new file. So, I might be running the camera for an hour on the tractor and end up with 5 or 6 files, roughly the same size and one follows the next as far as actual events.

This problem seems to have begun when I downloaded a free demo program for video editing. But it also may not be related. It's just that I noticed the problem when I went to edit existing video which is on the computer.

Also, I recorded a new video this weekend and when I downloaded the video, the files are about the 1.7 to 2.4kb size but once again they only play for one second or maybe 2 and act like it's concluded.

The video editing program is NCH Videopad, video editor. When I just opened the program to get the name, a message popped up which says;

"You have been using the full feature professional editing version under a demo program. If you would like to continue, either enter the license number or go to _______ and purchase the version which is best for your needs." or something like that.

It looks like the professional is $69 and the home version is $39. I have a feeling this editing software is what is preventing me from seeing the video, even when I open the video file directly without opening the video editor program. Does that seem possible or is it a setting or configuration somewhere in my video files?

I know nothing about video editing and am trying to learn. The NCH video editor seems very powerful as it has tons of features I doubt I would initially use. On the other hand, the one thing I want to be able to do is to run two cameras, which I started doing this weekend, and be able to edit the video so the video shows the view of the camera out front of the tractor and then the video out the rear of the tractor, back and forth. Instead of the entire video always being the exact same camera position, I want to make it interesting showing different perspectives.

I am not opposed to paying the $39 or $69 if the software is worth it. Or Is there a different video editing software which is easy to use which would be recommended?

Thanks in advance..

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    I canít help...but...

If you are thinking of eventually buying a video editor I would recommend Corel

https://www.videostudiopro.com/en/pr...deostudio/pro/

They have a 30 day free trial.

I have not ventured into video of any kind yet, but the Corel software was recommended a few times. As far as photo editing Iíve been doing that for many years. Corel is quite a robust piece of software with great support.

Just a suggestion if you might want to be sure that it is or isnít your current software causing the issues.
    Levi and SulleyBear like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Thanks
    You need to check to see what program is opening when you choose to view the file. I suspect it is the new program and the trial has expired. Open File Explorer, find the file, right click on it and choose another video program to open it.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ddinham For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive†(08-07-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:23 PM
    Thanks
    I would give serious consideration to un-installing the program. Hopefully their un-install process is complete and cleans up your registry, etc.

ddinham also has a good suggestion. If you can open and view the file with something like "Windows Media Player", you can confirm if the problem is with the video editing program.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mark02tj For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive†(08-07-2018)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,404 Posts
    Thanks for the responses. I found the answer to the video playing issue.

Checking out online through various magazine type reviews, Online "Editors" and other independent sources, the NCH Video editing software is very highly rated and recommended. In fact on Amazon, it was one of, if not the highest rated software package for video editing and several other functions by Amazon customers.

NCH has extensive software offerings and appears to be based out of Australia. I went ahead and purchased the editing software package which came with a bunch of advanced features. Once I activated the software, the video's started playing correctly and I have already begun editing some of the video files. There are also a lot of video tutorials offered by NCH as well as people on You tube using the NCH video editor program and demonstrating different functions.

The software is extremely powerful, you can merge in special effects, blend videos and avoid blunt transitions, work in soundtracks and music if you want, everything to make an Academy of GTT members Award Winning Videos, or so it seems. Let's see, that wouldn't be an "Oscar" award, but what, maybe a "Gizmo2" Award or other "GTT leading Member" award?....

So for now, I am going to create a video from the files I have for posting. I noticed my video camera has a unique "issue" with bright light reflections which only happen when plowing snow in the very dark of deep winter. What happens is when I push a pile of snow with the front plow and it gets high enough in front of the tractor, the headlights and forward facing cab lights reflect off the bright white snow pile and it causes the camera to "fade down" slightly and then resume to a "normal" picture. It's only a couple of seconds at most, but it causes the video to appear "tunnel vision" when it happens, then the image returns to normal. In the video where I noticed it, the snow I am plowing is probably 12" to 15" deep and often ends up with a pile in front of the tractor higher than the hood, which is what causes the light to reflect back towards the camera.

The camera is mounted in the cab to the right side of the steering, so it's about "hood height" and looking down the right side of the hood. The other issue I will change for this winter, and it never occurred to me before, is that the camera was looking through an area of the windshield which was below the area where the wiper clears. So, as I am pushing into these big snow piles, the snow which ends up on the windshield melts quickly due to the warm windshield glass, but the water droplets remain in the camera shot since the wiper isn't able to clear them.

I think it's almost which would be more annoying, the wiper blade sweeping back and forth through the image almost continuously or the few water droplets always on the windshield. When using the machine, you are looking through the area where the wipers clear so you really don't think about it. This winter, I will try some different camera positions looking forward and rearward. Also, when the snow is blowing hard, which it is in some of the video's, the light reflection off the snow at night tends to make the camera lighten and darken, reacting to the brightness, apparently. Small issues which are all part of the learning curve.

The summer mowing videos have turned out really well. I mounted a camera on the I Match hitch and one facing forward on the front of the tractor to catch the tractor plowing through weeds 5 feet to as high as cab roof tall and then the rear camera shows the mowed path through the jungle.

I also mounted one of the Go Pro cameras on the very front of my Zero Turn mower, just above the deck height, so it's like the "Bumper Cameras" in the NASCAR broadcasts. It's a really neat angle as it's out front of the entire mower and very low, almost sweeping across the lawn. I did use a couple of plastic zip ties as a safety tether on the camera and mount because if it fell off or I knocked it off, it would have quickly been history going through the mower.........so far so good. The stabilization feature in the camera seems to deal with the machine vibration really well, which was something I was concerned about.

So, soon I should have some interesting videos to post. It's all a learning curve and trial and error at this point, but it's something to keep me occupied at night learning the video editing process.....

I might have to upgrade my several year old laptop computer as running several video files and the editing software is taxing the capabilities of this old machines processor and memory........It still works fine, it's just you can tell the machine is "occupied" doing several things simultaneously.

Once again, thanks for the help and responses. Once I have video's ready, I will be sure to let the GTT family know......
    Zebrafive, Levi and mark02tj like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements