• 1 Post By placer
  • 1 Post By meburdick

Thread: WordPress How To...

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks

WordPress How To...

I am not at all a tech computer type person. However, I would like to build a website & a friend of mine got me jump started with a domain name & a hosting company. I now have access to WordPress everyone says it's super easy to use. While it might be easy to use, that doesn't mean much to me because I don't understand the basics of it. I need something that will take me to WordPress dashboard & walk me through it in basic fashion & give me the foundation. I looked at tutorials on Youtube & most are not well executed. They are either information overload or move so fast I can't absorb it.

Does anyone have a place I can go to lean WordPress at my own pace, which is slow & repeat slower. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    08-10-2018 @ 09:07 AM
    Thanks
    Hi!

Yes, lots of junk out there.

You might try lynda.com (https://www.lynda.com/search?q=wordpress)

You may need a LinkedIn account, but there courses are pretty good quality for being free.

Also your local community college may have on-line courses that are very inexpensive, have repeatable labs, and are paced for beginners to WordPress.

Keep in mind, WordPress sites on the Internet often have security issues (WordPress itself has a few embedded problems.)

Sometimes visiting these hacked sites or fake sites can infect your PC.

I'd only go to trusted sites with a browser that checks for https and certificates.

Private message me if you like!

I do CyberSecurity work for a living and I'm just passing the security stuff along based on what I know the bad guys are up to these days.

Take care!
    mark02tj likes this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to placer For This Useful Post:

Maddog (08-09-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by placer View Post
    Hi!

Yes, lots of junk out there.

You might try lynda.com (https://www.lynda.com/search?q=wordpress)

You may need a LinkedIn account, but there courses are pretty good quality for being free.

Also your local community college may have on-line courses that are very inexpensive, have repeatable labs, and are paced for beginners to WordPress.

Keep in mind, WordPress sites on the Internet often have security issues (WordPress itself has a few embedded problems.)

Sometimes visiting these hacked sites or fake sites can infect your PC.

I'd only go to trusted sites with a browser that checks for https and certificates.

Private message me if you like!

I do CyberSecurity work for a living and I'm just passing the security stuff along based on what I know the bad guys are up to these days.

Take care!
    There are a lot of WordPress sites out there, and only a small percentage of them may have been compromised. Saying that they "often" have security issues is a bit misleading because it implies that a high percentage of sites are hacked (which is not true).

WordPress is a favorite target of hackers because it's a very widely used platform. And WordPress is often releasing updates to close security holes. The biggest issue with regard to security when it comes to WordPress is keeping up with the updates to keep your site secured. I don't run WP and never have because I absolutely hate it. I opted for a more flexible platform that is not as widely used, and I chose to install my own copy of the software onto the hosting site instead of using their "click to install" version. This allows me to upgrade when I want, and am never tied to the hosting company's schedule of "when they get around to it" upgrading of the base software. When you opt to use the hosting company's version of WP, you put yourself at a very distinct disadvantage when it comes to security because they are typically MONTHS behind on their releases of the updates.

If using WordPress is a must, then I would suggest hosting the site directly on their systems so that the software is kept up to date.
    mark02tj likes this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements