Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Need a Router recommendation...

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks

Need a Router recommendation...

If most of you guys are like me, you just scroll the "New Posts" so I hope all the tool junkies don't get too excited. I need a COMPUTER ROUTER recommendation, not a woodworking router recommendation.

I currently have a Cisco/LinkSys E2500 wireless router. It's been giving me some fits the last few weeks. I'm getting intermittent internet connectivity whether I'm wired or wireless. I'll lose the connection for anywhere from 15 seconds to two minutes. Then it will be fine for anywhere from a couple of minutes to a few hours. I think I've confirmed it's the router by plugging my laptop directly into my cable modem. I ran it that way for a few hours yesterday and had no problems. And, when I lost connectivity on one computer, I tried connecting on two other laptops that I brought into my office and they wouldn't connect either. Then, they'd all connect at the same time.

I also ran full virus scans on the two main laptops. All of the things it found were in the "minor" category and then "resolved". But I'm still having the issues.

I tried resetting the router (new password, reenter the static IPs, etc.) today and I'm still having problems. So, as much as I hate to spend money on computer equipment than on tractor stuff, I think I need to bite the bullet.

Looking for something a bit better than one of these little LinkSys routers that you pick up at BestBuy, but not something that's going to break the bank. If we can keep it under $300, I'd appreciate it.

I have Spectrum Internet, running at 100mbs. (Actually, through the current router I'm only getting about 85mbs - direct connect to the modem I'm getting about 120mbs) I'd like something that doesn't slow down the throughput. I'd also like wireless, although that's not a "must have" as I have a Ubiquiti wireless setup that plugs into the router. 4 or 5 ports would be nice too.

Any suggestions?

THANKS!
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:28 PM
    Thanks
    I use a ASUS (RT-AC68U) also called AC1900 and and am very happy with it. It is a gigabit router both wired and wireless with 4 wired ports.

Dave

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ddinham For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (08-17-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:41 PM
    Thanks
    We had a recent discussion on mesh wi-fi routers here:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...i-routers.html

I ended up buying a Netgear Orbi RBK50 set-up. It's been up and running about a month or so and I've had no drop-outs and running fine, even with a couple of power interruptions when I wasn't home.
    I don't know if you're interested in this since you have a Ubiquiti set-up already.

I'm satisfied with my Orbi, though I got it with points, it usually runs just about $330 with base and 1 satellite, and goes on sale once in a while.

Just my 2 cents.
    BamaJohn likes this.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomfive For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (08-17-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,073 Times in 2,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    I use a ASUS (RT-AC68U) also called AC1900 and and am very happy with it. It is a gigabit router both wired and wireless with 4 wired ports.
    I have the slight older ASUS RT-N66U, it's been flawless covering my large house (although I did add three high-gain antenna's). I have the RT-N12D1 in the pole barn so I can walk seamlessly from the house to their and in the yard with a strong signal.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (08-17-2018)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks

Ubiquiti

I installed a Ubiquiti edge router and wireless access point a few years ago. It out performs anything else I've ever seen. Takes a little more effort to set up but I found it worth it. At the time, it outperformed anything on the market in the same price range.
    56Nine likes this.
    John Deere 4200, 420 FEL, 60" MMM, #74 Front Blade, #59 Snowblower, iMatch, Hydraulic Dump MCS

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JAllen For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (08-17-2018)

12. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    DeWalt, Bosch, Porter Cable. Oh wait.....nevermind
    Kennyd, mark02tj and 56Nine like this.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

13. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boonie View Post
    DeWalt, Bosch, Porter Cable. Oh wait.....nevermind
    Everybody's a comedian!

Quote Originally Posted by JAllen View Post
    I installed a Ubiquiti edge router and wireless access point a few years ago. It out performs anything else I've ever seen. Takes a little more effort to set up but I found it worth it. At the time, it outperformed anything on the market in the same price range.
    I got on Ubiquiti's website the other day and saw the Edge routers. What makes them more difficult to set up? Is it something that a stupid accountant like me can figure out?

I knew I'd recently read about "mesh outers" so I appreciate that link TomFive!! I had to refresh my memory today when ddinham posted about that Asus router. Pretty cool stuff. Right now my Ubiquiti access point has a different SSID than my router. But, I guess with "mesh" I can have them both with the same name and everything switches seamlessly.

I may need one of you guys to come by here to set this up for me. Can any of you be bribed with ribs?
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

14. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Thanks
    I use this
    https://amplifi.com

I love it works great. And simple. A little pricey.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isn’t paying attention*

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Littlegreenmachine For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (08-21-2018)

16. Top | #9

Last Online
    07-19-2019 @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    I either use Asus or Netgear depending on the which ends up being the best 1 for the money . This is the newest I've gotten and haven't had any problems out of it at all and it run's 24/7.

https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-R7800.../dp/B0192911RA

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve O For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (08-18-2018)

18. Top | #10
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    Netgear AC1750 or AC1900.

Best bang for your buck.

I have installed about 150 of them in customer homes over 2 years and only had one go bad.

Shrink the 2.4 and 5.8 bands to 40mhz channel widths and you'll be good.

I've installed 5 Google Wi-Fi mesh systems, imo they are too expensive, $250 for a 3pk or $100/each pod.

Orbi - setup was a nightmare because they all had to be setup separate and firmware pushed then factory reset for final setup. Easy to do but not ready to go out of the box.

Edge router / ubnt WAPs are overkill for a 100mbps connection.

Good luck!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Steve O likes this.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to buckteeth445 For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (08-18-2018)

20. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast