Security Camera Recommendations?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Security Camera Recommendations?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    @
    Thanks

Security Camera Recommendations?

Greetings, all.

I have a fairly specific need for some in-home security cameras and I'm hoping someone might know of a product that would be a good fit. I have some strict requirements, and am not likely to "give" on any of these. So, if you have an item you like but it doesn't meet my requirements, I will not be able to consider it.

A couple of years ago, I purchased four Stem Izon cameras because they were fairly inexpensive. They supported WiFi, had a magnetic base that allowed for almost limitless positioning, could be accessed remotely with an app, and supported the ability to record content based on motion or sound detection.

They were so-so cameras overall, but they fit my needs pretty much perfectly. Unfortunately, Stem Innovations is shutting down. They didn't produce a quality product, put zero effort into improving what they had, and have run out of money and investors. While the cameras still function today, and will continue to function generically (no video capture anymore) for another two weeks, they will be doorstops after the end of the month.

I am looking for a camera that:

A) Supports WiFi connectivity
    B) Is reasonably small an unobtrusive in terms of size
    C) Operates off of 110 power (no battery operation required or desired)
    D) Can record a short clip of video when it detects motion (and can be turned off)
    E) Can be had for a very reasonable price (I'm probably willing to spend up to about $50 per camera, MAX)
    F) Is accessible remotely through an app or similar, and I would absolutely prefer that it NOT be directly accessible via an IP address unless there is security that can be added to it

While I would absolutely prefer to NOT have the videos stored in the cloud, I will take what I can get here.

Pretty much everything I have looked at is at least $90 and set up to do WAY more than I need. I don't need PTZ (pan, tilt, zoom), IP connectivity, battery operation, integration with home automation, waterproof / outdoor capable, etc. This is for being able to do things like detect when the dogs are in a room where maybe they shouldn't be and record a clip of what they're doing. Additionally, being able to access the cameras remotely to see what the dogs are actively doing at any particular point in time would be a needed feature.

I don't need 4K video quality, I'm not trying to shoot content from a mile away, and would need only the most modest of ability to shoot in low/no light (no lights on in the room).
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:23 PM
    Thanks
    Keep in mind that you are limiting yourself based on your budget. But, I totally understand that!!

Stan/Coaltrain has one of these WyzeCam: 1080p HD Smart Home Camera With Free AWS Cloud I think they fit most of your criteria. They are on my "things I want to buy" list as well. I'm planning on buying 3 or 4.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks

What if someone cuts your power or you lose power for some reason? Wouldn't you want a battery backup?
    raco232 likes this.
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Thanks
    Your $50 limit is simply not reasonable or realistic. You will not find anything that meets all your requirements, and isn't a complete piece of junk, for $50. Sorry, but that is just reality.

This is the most basic indoor wifi "drop cam" style camera I'd ever recommend anyone use (NSC-244W-C 4MP Indoor IR Wifi Cube Camera 2.8mm - Nelly's Security). I have two in my house (among other types inside and out. There is no proprietary cloud or API. Just a camera you access locally or remotely with an SD card for recording. Does all the functions you want. Meets all your requirements. And it's $150.
    mjncad and Robnik like this.
    1025r | 60D | Forks | AV20F Grapple & 3rd SCV | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch w/ extended top hook | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    Keep in mind that you are limiting yourself based on your budget. But, I totally understand that!!

Stan/Coaltrain has one of these WyzeCam: 1080p HD Smart Home Camera With Free AWS Cloud I think they fit most of your criteria. They are on my "things I want to buy" list as well. I'm planning on buying 3 or 4.
    Interesting. I might pick one up to play just because it's so cheap! Thanks for the link...

Quote Originally Posted by Robnik View Post

What if someone cuts your power or you lose power for some reason? Wouldn't you want a battery backup?
    No. A power cut has much larger implications and having a camera that's still working with no path to upload the content and such is just as useless as no camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedals2Paddles View Post
    Your $50 limit is simply not reasonable or realistic. You will not find anything that meets all your requirements, and isn't a complete piece of junk, for $50. Sorry, but that is just reality.

This is the most basic indoor wifi "drop cam" style camera I'd ever recommend anyone use (NSC-244W-C 4MP Indoor IR Wifi Cube Camera 2.8mm - Nelly's Security). I have two in my house (among other types inside and out. There is no proprietary cloud or API. Just a camera you access locally or remotely with an SD card for recording. Does all the functions you want. Meets all your requirements. And it's $150.
    Except that it's met perfectly by the link provided in the first response.

I am looking for something very specific because I do not WANT a security camera that will be used indoors - I want a simple, basic, "security camera". It's a different class of product.

Additionally, it doesn't meet all of my requirements because it's 3X the price limit I stated. This isn't helpful information for this thread, but I appreciate you taking the time to reply.
    IndianaJim and mark02tj like this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
    Except that it's met perfectly by the link provided in the first response.
    You said you prefer it not use cloud services. That uses cloud services. And I'm sorry to tell you, there will be absolutely nothing perfect about a $20 camera. That is garbage, and you will get what you pay for. One of your requirements should be "product isn't junk". Unless you actually don't mind buying junk?

I am looking for something very specific because I do not WANT a security camera that will be used indoors - I want a simple, basic, "security camera". It's a different class of product.
    Do you want to try this again?? You don't want a security camera, you want a security camera because it's different??

This isn't helpful information for this thread, but I appreciate you taking the time to reply.
    If i was asking for something, and what I was asking for was completely wrong or unrealistic, I would sure hope someone would say so. I consider that helpful information. If you would prefer not to be given real world advice based on experience, I'm happy to cease and desist at this time. Hopefully the $20 toy camera works out...
    1025r | 60D | Forks | AV20F Grapple & 3rd SCV | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch w/ extended top hook | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Thanks
    Been there, done that and got the t-shirt. Tried the el-cheapo route. You want one? In the closet in the original box. Just will not do enough. I told the county sheriff at a Next Door meeting this past week that if I have a burgler, I will be able to give him a good picture of the burgler. I finally bit the bullet and bought a Nest camera. Back then, I had to take the indoor camera and buy separately a housing for it to be able to use it outdoors. Now you can get them in outdoor capability out of the box. If you want to have the capability of saving what is on the camera, you will either need to go with a cloud account, or buy a system with it's own DVR recording capability (more $). It costs me $50 a year for the cloud storage and for that, I get 5 days of continual storage. I get a notice on my pc email and on my phone if it spots any activity or I can set it only to notify me if it spots an actual person. I did drop the pc email notification as I was satisfied with the notification in the app on my phone. Since I did not want to get notices when a bird flew by, I set it to only notify me if it sees a person. I was 30 miles away Saturday when Fedex Home delivered a package I was looking for and received a notification on my phone. Checked it out and saw the delivery.

There are a number of ways you can use these things. My neighbor has a critical indoor heating situation in the winter that he monitors using one of his 3 cameras. I am allowed to access his cameras along with mine.

Dave
    mjncad and Robnik like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:15 PM
    Thanks
    I use an app so I can reuse old phones.
    WardenCam. Works well enough for me.

Meanwhile is a 30' Grady White.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedals2Paddles View Post
    You said you prefer it not use cloud services. That uses cloud services. And I'm sorry to tell you, there will be absolutely nothing perfect about a $20 camera. That is garbage, and you will get what you pay for. One of your requirements should be "product isn't junk". Unless you actually don't mind buying junk?

Do you want to try this again?? You don't want a security camera, you want a security camera because it's different??

If i was asking for something, and what I was asking for was completely wrong or unrealistic, I would sure hope someone would say so. I consider that helpful information. If you would prefer not to be given real world advice based on experience, I'm happy to cease and desist at this time. Hopefully the $20 toy camera works out...
    When my requirements warrant a higher end solution, I would be happy to give your input a lot more consideration. For now, my requirements (which I have been honest with myself about, and fully understand) do not match up with them.
    ---

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Thanks
    I have more ideas than ambition.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast