What happened to the legs on recent LCD TVs?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: What happened to the legs on recent LCD TVs?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts

What happened to the legs on recent LCD TVs?

I gotta vent... what happened with the legs on most recent LCD TVs? When did all the manufacturers get together and agree to switch from a nice sturdy pedestal to something that looks like chopsticks sticking out the bottom?

My 13-year old Sony LCD finally crapped out with a bad power supply. It had a nice wide pedestal in the center that was not only very sturdy but it allowed you to easily turn (angle) the TV from side to side by pivoting on the pedestal. If needed, it also had a little strap (aka seat belt) on the back edge of the pedestal that you could attach to your TV stand to prevent the TV from ever falling over (or being pulled over by a child).

Enter the new stuff... why does virtually everything now have these two tiny sets of "bird legs" on the bottom edge that are placed almost as wide apart as the TV frame? The pedestal allowed you to place a 4-foot wide TV on a stand that was a quite bit smaller. Now you need a TV stand that is almost as wide as the TV itself. And since the new "bird legs" stick out the front and back the same distance you can't even push the TV back on the stand because the rear set of "bird legs" might slip off.

Why? What am I missing? When did all the TV makers get together and agree to "Do it stupid style?".

Thanks for listening. :-)
    glc, Gizmo2, DRobinson and 8 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-09-2019 @ 09:01 AM
    Thanks
    I'm sure it's a money thing. Costs less to manufacture/purchase "bird legs" than the more robust and sturdy pedestals. I would also believe that more and more people aren't even using the legs any longer as most are wall mounting their TV's.

glc, Gizmo2, Levi and 5 others like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Thanks
    The other type base was in the box,,,
    you just did not dig through all the packing material enough to find the second base,,,

glc, Levi, BigJim55 and 5 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    you just did not dig through all the packing material enough to find the second base,,,

You know how to tell my post is false??

Millennials would not know how to get to second base,,,,
    glc, Gizmo2, DRobinson and 10 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post

I wish. :-)
    glc, Levi, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigK View Post
    I'm sure it's a money thing. Costs less to manufacture/purchase "bird legs" than the more robust and sturdy pedestals. I would also believe that more and more people aren't even using the legs any longer as most are wall mounting their TV's.

Probably - but don't get me started with that. Why everyone thinks the cool thing to do is have your TV on the wall. I was always taught (and believe) that the proper viewing angle for a display is straight-on or looking down slightly. Why does everyone want to sit and look UP on the wall? You know, because you just HAVE to mount it above the mantel.

I love how all the advertisements for wall mounted TVs magically erase the power cord, multiple HDMI cables, Component cable and maybe even a Composite cable. Not to mention additional audio cables. :-)
    glc, etcallhome, DRobinson and 7 others like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Probably - but don't get me started with that. Why everyone thinks the cool thing to do is have your TV on the wall. I was always taught (and believe) that the proper viewing angle for a display is straight-on or looking down slightly. Why does everyone want to sit and look UP on the wall? You know, because you just HAVE to mount it above the mantel.

I love how all the advertisements for wall mounted TVs magically erase the power cord, multiple HDMI cables, Component cable and maybe even a Composite cable. Not to mention additional audio cables. :-)
    Another case of monkey see, monkey do. If one company does something to cut costs then everyone jumps on board. I wouldn't mind them doing this is they made it a choice, but that seldom happens anymore.

I've run into these stupid legs with the last 2 TV's purchased. I also don't want my TV's mounted to the wall and liked the center base that TV's used to have for setting on a stand or table, but impossible to find these anymore. The new chicken-leg stands were so spread-eagled and offset on one of my new TV's that it would not fit on the stand I had been using before. I wound up buying a table-top VESA mount stand similar to this. Ridiculous that you have to do this but I saw no other option.

TV stand
    glc, Gizmo2, ChrisR and 6 others like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to spferdil For This Useful Post:

ChrisR (12-15-2018)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    I ran into the same thing. I also swapped the legs out for a universal base. Around 25 bucks from amazon.
    glc, Gizmo2, Levi and 4 others like this.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Thanks
    They don't want you to use the legs at all. I think most of them expect that you'll hang it using a wall mount system.
    glc, Gizmo2, Levi and 3 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    What's with the cable on the back to supposedly keep it from tipping forwards? It can tip backwards just as easy as forwards. Monkey see monkey do.
    glc, ejb69, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast