Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Whatever happened to 3D TV?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts

Whatever happened to 3D TV?

My Sony Bravia LCD TV died suddenly after 12 years of trouble free service. While shopping for a replacement it suddenly occurred to me that I no longer see advertisements for 3D TV. For a while there they were trying to convince everyone they needed a 3D TV and now nada. Has it gone the way of DIVX?
    glc, Robnik and JD4044M like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    My Sony Bravia LCD TV died suddenly after 12 years of trouble free service. While shopping for a replacement it suddenly occurred to me that I no longer see advertisements for 3D TV. For a while there they were trying to convince everyone they needed a 3D TV and now nada. Has it gone the way of DIVX?
    I've noticed the same thing, think it must have died on the vine. I was just as Sam's Club today shopping for a new TV and I didn't see 3D even mentioned, starting to see 4K being pushed now. I'm pretty happy with just HD.
    Robnik and JD4044M like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    Most new smart TVs should be able to read divx files or have the ability to download an app to read the format. UHD is in, 3D is out.

- bucket teeth
    Robnik likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:31 PM
    Thanks
    I think it fizzled out. The movies were becoming as expensive as video games from the 90s LOL The glasses were also extremely expensive and not completely comfortable. For black friday my wife treated us to a new tv for MY living room. She kept my older plasma for her girly shows. I was thinking long and hard about one of the newer Sony 4K tv's but after looking at the specs and reading through the HT forums I found that there were too many flaws in the lower end ones. I opted for a 2016 model Sony had put out that was from their Magnolia line. It was one of the tv's that they put against all the other brands and said touch this! Needless to say it as $6-7k back in the day. Best buy had several in their DC for a fraction of the price. I rather have 2yr old bad @ass top tier technology than subpar 2018 tech.

Found two, 3D glasses in the box during unboxing. Had no idea
    wildbranch2007 and Robnik like this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nastorino View Post
    I think it fizzled out. The movies were becoming as expensive as video games from the 90s LOL The glasses were also extremely expensive and not completely comfortable. For black friday my wife treated us to a new tv for MY living room. She kept my older plasma for her girly shows. I was thinking long and hard about one of the newer Sony 4K tv's but after looking at the specs and reading through the HT forums I found that there were too many flaws in the lower end ones. I opted for a 2016 model Sony had put out that was from their Magnolia line. It was one of the tv's that they put against all the other brands and said touch this! Needless to say it as $6-7k back in the day. Best buy had several in their DC for a fraction of the price. I rather have 2yr old bad @ass top tier technology than subpar 2018 tech.

Found two, 3D glasses in the box during unboxing. Had no idea
    You can sell those 3D glasses next time Antique Roadshow is in town.

- bucket teeth

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spferdil View Post
    I've noticed the same thing, think it must have died on the vine. I was just as Sam's Club today shopping for a new TV and I didn't see 3D even mentioned, starting to see 4K being pushed now. I'm pretty happy with just HD.
    Same here. Not really interested in a Smart TV especially since I already own a Roku Ultra box. It's starting to get difficult to find decent non-4K TVs. After a rather short on-line research session I ended up getting a TCL 49" regular 'ole HD "dumb" TV for $287. I paid $1500 for my old 40" Sony Bravia. I never heard of TCL before but kept reading good things about them. I am extremely happy with the TV. 3-HDMI inputs allowed me to plug in my Cable DVR, Roku and Blu-Ray player. Even though it is "just" HD the picture quality is way better than my old Sony LCD and it uses 1/3 the electricity. My old Sony weighed around 60 lbs and this thing only weighs around 25 lbs. I suspect the Sony used more metal stuff inside. ;-)

I don't expect this one to last 12 years like the old Sony did but who knows.
    glc, jdforever, spferdil and 4 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:14 AM
    Thanks
    I think the 3D TV thing was just another marketing ploy manufacturers used to get us to want and buy the "latest and greatest." Yes, wearing the glasses was a pain and likely contributed to it's downfall.

I still have the 60" LCD Sony purchased in 2003. That was back when I was married to the doctor. I'm pretty sure the TV alone was $5k, and the stand was $900(!). It was one of the first big HDTV's Sony made and still kicks ass. I replaced the bulb once, but aside from that it's been rock solid.

2nd Wife and I got a 55" Sony 4K UHD smart TV. Picture is amazing, and almost looks 3D-ish. Even old MASH episodes look fantastic on DirecTV. I believe it was $1,200.

Sad thing is I watch very little TV, aside from college football. There is just too much other stuff for me to do around the acreage and with photography side business.
    Robnik and nastorino like this.
    2015 John Deere x750, 60" HC Deck
    1979 Lawn-Boy 7268 ("Frank")
    2007 Lawn-Boy 10797 ("Sally")

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buckteeth445 View Post
    Most new smart TVs should be able to read divx files or have the ability to download an app to read the format. UHD is in, 3D is out.

- bucket teeth
    3D is definitely "out". The 2016 model year marked the last time TV's were produced with the 3D capabilities in them. I bought a 2016 model that has it, and I will never, EVER, use it. It died because it was seen as nothing more than a gimmick that required special TV's, special, DVD/BluRay players, special glasses, AND special media. And ALL of it was more expensive than the non 3D counterparts. There was no real "wow factor" to 3D that would warrant repurchasing your entire BluRay library so shortly after having bought on BluRay everything you previously owned on DVD.

In short, all supply and no demand.

UHD is not "in". It's still coming of age and is not yet fully mainstream. The HUGE difference in quality from DVD to BluRay (which was mirrored with moving from Standard Definition to High Definition) is simply not there with UHD compared to HD. The most significant advantage to UHD over HD is that you can have a larger panel and/or sit closer to the set without sacrificing resolution quality. That is 100% "it" in terms of advantages.

TV's are coming down in price while having 4K ability, and people are starting to buy replacement BluRay players that can handle UHD. They will then start purchasing digital media that is UHD while SOME programming gets converted over to being able to support UHD. But, given the lack of 'wow factor', most programming outlets are very reluctant to make the huge investment in upgrading all of the cameras and transmission equipment since folks are not going to be willing to foot the bill for it. They'll subscribe, watch it for a while, and think "why am I paying more for this? It isn't massively better." and they will unsubscribe. UHD is going to roll into place MUCH more slowly than HD did.
    spferdil, coaltrain and Robnik like this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Truth is they found Bayer, Advil, Goodies companies wouldn't be able to keep enough product stocked to handle the number of headaches... If you REALLY NEED 3D just watch with one eye covered for a while. Yup, it really works.
    spferdil and Robnik like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 10:54 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
    Truth is they found Bayer, Advil, Goodies companies wouldn't be able to keep enough product stocked to handle the number of headaches... If you REALLY NEED 3D just watch with one eye covered for a while. Yup, it really works.
    This is the equivalent of HD VHS. Just ain't no way it will make a huge dent. My 2008 XBR will be around until it dies, unless I can get a board to fix it when it does!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Robnik likes this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast