• 1 Post By PJR832

Thread: GoPro mounting and tips

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,236 Posts

GoPro mounting and tips

So a few weeks ago I got a GoPro hero5 black edition, I honestly haven't had much time to play with it other than syncing it to phone. Last week I ordered and received an accessory kit with a bunch of different mounts.
    Do the base mounts that stick really stick, I could just me putting this camera through my tiller and really want to avoid that if possible. I will want a few different places to mount this because most of the time I am working alone and don't have someone to run the camera beside me.
    I'm not trying to be specific to tractors, ATVs, motorcycles work too, (although my application will mostly just be on my tractor) I'm just looking for mounting tips
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:46 PM
    Thanks
    The adhesive bases do stick just make sure you have a clean surface that is warm enough for the adhesive to bond.

Stuck one on my sons RZR 170 last Christmas and spent an evening in the dark with flashlights searching a field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PJR832 likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Hey, I want a title too! ZachinCO's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks
    I havenít used the adhesive mounts yet. I do have the jaws clamp, suction cup & shotgun clamp.

I use all three in various places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PJR832 and DaubsNU1 like this.
    MINE!! 2016 New Holland T4.75

In-Laws 2006 4520-400 CX FEL-RC2072-Land Pride FS700-Rhino Box Blade-7' Plow Blade-CountyLine PHD
    In-Laws 2003 2210-210 FEL-54C MMM

My Sons IH Cub Cadet Originals- 62-Running;62-Restoration;61-Parts Donor

My social media~ https://www.instagram.com/zwhewitt_photos/

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    If you do try the adhesive mount itís as simple as using rubbing alcohol with a clean rag to clean the area first. And of course being warm. Iíve found that most of these adhesive type things to work well.

But with that said, with any type of expensive camera equipment, I would want a solid mount.
    PJR832 and DaubsNU1 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

PJR832†(01-14-2019)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 07:26 AM
    Thanks
    My first few GoPro attempts were kinda disasters because of vibration,,
    "JUST ANYWHERE" is not a place to mount a GoPro,,

I thought I had a vibration proof mounting location on my 24G Gravely,, NOT,,,
    A few seconds after the video starts, I start the engine,, the camera goes nuts,,

https://youtu.be/6YEbw4pwNEs?t=64

YouTube tried to reduce the distortion,, that kinda made it worse,,,

That is why I only want clamp on mounts,,, so I can mount the camera easily in another location.
    Gizmo2, mark02tj and PJR832 like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

PJR832†(01-14-2019)

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 09:36 AM
    Thanks
    Suction cup works well, just keep it clean
    I use a "NOGA" magnetic mount with the end swapped out for a 1/4 tripod adapter for the go pro
    The other clamps and various things work well for their intended purposes, but when you start "McGyvering" them results vary wildly IME
    Last edited by Hipplewm; 01-20-2019 at 11:46 AM.
    PJR832 likes this.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    I have found the good mounts and clamps are generally worth the money. I have several articulating clamps and have them mounted to the door armrest bar in my cab, another to the windshield gas shock. They are very stable and stay where put.

I have also mounted one camera right ahead of the discharge chute on my Zero turn to get a really neat perspective and that it provided. Whenever you are mounting the camera where it can gets into harms way, always use some plastic zip ties as a "safety chain" through the actual camera mount or wherever you can snake the thin plastic strap through, that way, when the mount gets knocked loose, the camera will be tethered to the tractor or whatever and you can save it. I have had several things come loose and in every case, it was because of something the operator did.....

The video with the camera right in front of the zero turn chute also had another Go Pro camera mounted in the very rear of the Zero turn and another camera mount in the very front of the mower and very low, just above grass height. I wanted to get the different views for editing together in a video. On one of the earliest turn around maneuvers near a pine tree, a branch hit the mount on the rear of the mower and pivoted the camera mount 180 degrees, so I have about 4 minutes of precisely the angles I wanted and then the entire remaining video was of the Kawasaki engine running. The engine moved around more than I thought in the chassis, like it's supposed to, but 45 minutes of watching the Kawasaki engine running doesn't make real compelling video...........

The only mount which I have bought which was a disappointment was one on a 3 foot long arm which is jointed and you can position it and bend it all over the place. While it works fine on a stationary object, on the mower or tractor the long arm has too much vibration in it. The cameras have a special stabilization technology in them, but when the movement is more than a vibration and less than a "wave motion" it's a very strange and unnatural movement which I didn't care for in the video.

The stabilization works so well, that you don't necessarily;ly have to mount the camera to be ROCK SOLID like I thought I would. The main thing with the mowers, blowers and tillers and rolling tires, etc. is make sure you use the safety tether. Yes, you have to snip it to get the camera off the mount, it's a small price to pay to protect the camera against loss or destruction. On angles which could cause the camera to get run over or through the mower, blower, I will double the safety tethers just to be safe. A whole bag of zip tie straps if only a couple of bucks at Harbor fright.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 51Ii8-yXiRL._SL1000_.jpg

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    I have found the good mounts and clamps are generally worth the money. I have several articulating clamps and have them mounted to the door armrest bar in my cab, another to the windshield gas shock. They are very stable and stay where put.

I have also mounted one camera right ahead of the discharge chute on my Zero turn to get a really neat perspective and that it provided. Whenever you are mounting the camera where it can gets into harms way, always use some plastic zip ties as a "safety chain" through the actual camera mount or wherever you can snake the thin plastic strap through, that way, when the mount gets knocked loose, the camera will be tethered to the tractor or whatever and you can save it. I have had several things come loose and in every case, it was because of something the operator did.....

The video with the camera right in front of the zero turn chute also had another Go Pro camera mounted in the very rear of the Zero turn and another camera mount in the very front of the mower and very low, just above grass height. I wanted to get the different views for editing together in a video. On one of the earliest turn around maneuvers near a pine tree, a branch hit the mount on the rear of the mower and pivoted the camera mount 180 degrees, so I have about 4 minutes of precisely the angles I wanted and then the entire remaining video was of the Kawasaki engine running. The engine moved around more than I thought in the chassis, like it's supposed to, but 45 minutes of watching the Kawasaki engine running doesn't make real compelling video...........

The only mount which I have bought which was a disappointment was one on a 3 foot long arm which is jointed and you can position it and bend it all over the place. While it works fine on a stationary object, on the mower or tractor the long arm has too much vibration in it. The cameras have a special stabilization technology in them, but when the movement is more than a vibration and less than a "wave motion" it's a very strange and unnatural movement which I didn't care for in the video.

The stabilization works so well, that you don't necessarily;ly have to mount the camera to be ROCK SOLID like I thought I would. The main thing with the mowers, blowers and tillers and rolling tires, etc. is make sure you use the safety tether. Yes, you have to snip it to get the camera off the mount, it's a small price to pay to protect the camera against loss or destruction. On angles which could cause the camera to get run over or through the mower, blower, I will double the safety tethers just to be safe. A whole bag of zip tie straps if only a couple of bucks at Harbor fright.
    Thanks Sulley, I've already guessed that I have to break down and buy a good quality mount instead of the cheap kit I'm using, I appreciate your feedback.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    JD iMATCH
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Elk Creek Acres

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    My first few GoPro attempts were kinda disasters because of vibration,,
    "JUST ANYWHERE" is not a place to mount a GoPro,,

I thought I had a vibration proof mounting location on my 24G Gravely,, NOT,,,
    A few seconds after the video starts, I start the engine,, the camera goes nuts,,

https://youtu.be/6YEbw4pwNEs?t=64

YouTube tried to reduce the distortion,, that kinda made it worse,,,

That is why I only want clamp on mounts,,, so I can mount the camera easily in another location.
    Thank you, because of reading this I have been using a clamp on mount, literally eliminated the vibration I was experiencing before. It's a handle bar type mount that I have on one of the ROPS pins, seems much more secure as well, thanks again for the input.
    Last edited by PJR832; 02-03-2019 at 06:13 PM.
    mark02tj likes this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    JD iMATCH
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Elk Creek Acres

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements