Cutting the high cost of 1's & 0's.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Cutting the high cost of 1's & 0's.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Thanks

Cutting the high cost of 1's & 0's.

I started this email around the New Year, and itís been 11-months since I cut the CATV cord, and I figure I should actually send this out. To put the monthly monetary savings into perspective; what weíre saving on TV, landline phone, and cell service allowed me to get a high end diesel powered lawn tractor.

I canít guarantee that the links provided below still work.

Well the Cumcrap CATV bill went up again, and this time Iím going to find an alternative; which is boiling down to a good old fashioned antenna for local OTA (Over The Air) channels that I located on a 12í high post in the back yard, and a streaming device (e.g. Roku) to get cable channels and movies from Netflix, Hulu, and others off the Internet. Worried about what your HOASS has to say about TV antennas? Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule | FCC.gov Our HOASS hasnít bothered me about my antenna. So far the big downside is probably going to get access to the Discovery Channel family of networks. Yes, Iíve looked into satellite, and the cost to get service comparable to what we have is just as expensive, if not more as what weíre paying now.

So if ďcutting the cableĒ is something of interest to you; Iíve included all the links Iíve used to gain information on getting TV via the net.

Free TV - 6 Cable TV Alternatives, Netflix, Free Television - AARP

Get Free HDTV and Save Money

http://www.antennaweb.org

Cutting the Cord on Cable - WSJ

The Five Best Cord Cutting Devices (Plus One Bonus!) | TechCrunch This article and the next one mention a device called Boxee that sounds promising; but I didnít include Boxeeís link as Samsung just bought them from Linksys, and it appears they are in some sort of flux.

The Four Big Steps To Cutting The Cord | TechCrunch

http://www.antennacraft.net

DisableMyCable - Free and cheap alternatives to cable TV

http://www.roku.com Streaming $99 Internet device that Iím going to try. An update, the Roku 3 device works great with our wireless router.

Home of the #1 rated Indoor HDTV Antenna - Mohu

http://www.killthecablebill.com

Use an OTA Tuner to Turn Your PC into a TV and DVR | TechHive

http://www.channelmaster.com

https://signup.netflix.com/ Streaming Internet TV/movie service for around $9 a month. An update, Iím happy with Netflix.

Free TV Shows and Movies - Watch Your Favorite TV Episodes and Movies Online | Hulu Streaming Internet TV/movie service for around $9 a month. An update, Hulu finally provided us a monthís trial for free. I think I might keep it.

TV Fool

Reducing the cost of landline and cell phone service.

For over a year now weíve been using Oomaís VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) for our landline. Weíre just using plain-Jane Ooma, and our cost dropped from $45 a month with Century Fink to <$5 a month with Ooma. All we pay are the Gummint taxes and fees, and it works great. www.ooma.com

Tired of 2-year contracts and high monthly cell phone bills, then check out Consumer Cellular https://www.consumercellular.com/ , which is a MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator; aka reseller of minutes) that uses AT & Tís network. We have two cell numbers and a data plan for my smartassphone for about $50 a month. The Big 4 canít even come close. Consumer Cellular also lets you upgrade/downgrade service at will as your needs change. Their phone selection is limited; but just about any unlocked phone approved by AT & T should work on CCís network. I bought my Sony smartassphone from these guys. http://www.gsmnation.com

For those of you with home security services (e.g. ADT); I have no idea if the VOIP options will work with them or not.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mjncad For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark†(03-02-2015), farmgirl19†(03-02-2015), Gizmo2†(03-02-2015), glc†(03-02-2015), johnH123†(11-03-2015), Levi†(03-02-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,458 Times in 1,583 Posts
    Tried Consumer Cellular Ok if your AT T coverage is good in your area. ? NOT worth the pain and aggravation if coverage is poor. I admit could save money ,, oh I still have 3 new flip phones, one may have been used for 2 phone calls. ! One maybe 10 and last one 40 at the most over 4- 5 mo. I lost money in long run.
    Switched back to US Cell happy again.
    mjncad, BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 04:36 PM
    Thanks
    My problem with cutting pay TV is college football, we love college ball and just no way to get all the games without pay TV.

What we have done is go under contract with Comcast, Dish, Direct every couple years for one of their promotions. We get the minimum service that will suit us and end up with service for $30 a month. As soon as the contract is over we move to a new provider.
    636mullet, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    OTA TV signals are great if you can get them - no way around here.

No cell phone at all - no cell coverage anyway. Have been using VOIP for years now at $7.71 per month with unlimited everything.

Roku is great - no running monthly fee. Netflix is nice at only $8 per month. But you need high speed internet.

I think the cable and satellite TV companies are really scrambling right now. My thinking is that most all TV will come over the interent shortly. There is a new company that is forging ahead with this called SlingTV. They are just starting out but I see a lot more channels being added soon.
    Levi, BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #5
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    I save even more, mjncad. I removed the TV from my life!!! No cable/dish, no fees, no taxes, etc. I already received local channels via antenna, but then they went "digital", so I would have needed a converter box, or new TV. No more than I was watching on TV, none of it was worth it.

I get local news on the radio in my truck when driving, as well as traffic reports if I have to go to a bigger city. Get weather via the same, or the internet. Savings in money has been great, and without the mind controlling box around, I actually get a few things done, sometimes!! Funny thing is, I really do not miss it!
    mjncad, Dingeryote, rtgt and 4 others like this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 960 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    You can say that again, too far from any of the towers.

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    I save even more, mjncad. I removed the TV from my life!!! No cable/dish, no fees, no taxes, etc. I already received local channels via antenna, but then they went "digital", so I would have needed a converter box, or new TV. No more than I was watching on TV, none of it was worth it.

I get local news on the radio in my truck when driving, as well as traffic reports if I have to go to a bigger city. Get weather via the same, or the internet. Savings in money has been great, and without the mind controlling box around, I actually get a few things done, sometimes!! Funny thing is, I really do not miss it!
    Seems that way with a lot of things. There are so many ways to get news/info today. It's amazing how many services we pay for that duplicate each other.
    mjncad, farmgirl19, Levi and 1 others like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    Only reason the wife and I still have any cable channels is because it was $5.00 more month over our internet package. We mostly watch netflix, $8 a month is reasonable for the amount of tv that I watch.
    mjncad, ColonyPark and BigJim55 like this.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 04:36 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post

No cell phone at all - no cell coverage anyway. Have been using VOIP for years now at $7.71 per month with unlimited everything.

Roku is great - no running monthly fee. Netflix is nice at only $8 per month. But you need high speed internet.

I think the cable and satellite TV companies are really scrambling right now. My thinking is that most all TV will come over the interent shortly. There is a new company that is forging ahead with this called SlingTV. They are just starting out but I see a lot more channels being added soon.
    Sling looks very promising. I could go with it for my college football in the fall and cancel for the rest of the year.
    Levi, BigJim55 and coaltrain like this.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:12 PM
    Thanks
    I don't have tv anyhow...
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Thanks
    Food TV and the Cooking Channel are must haves for us, so I pay the big bucks for cable. It's all about quality of life. I may be labeled shallow for this, but I love me some Amy Thielen.
    mjncad, Dingeryote, Levi and 1 others like this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast