Dash Camera instead of Go Pro Cameras? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Dash Camera instead of Go Pro Cameras?

1. Top | #11

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    There are a LOT of choices on the market for dash cams, and you get different things with the different ones that are out there. Look for one that has what you want.

Some common things are the ability to simply record over the oldest files when the memory card gets full, shock sensors that will cause an auto-save of the file currently being recorded, ability to press a button to take a snapshot/still photo, ability to press a button to save off the current file in a protected folder, and high quality recording day or night.

Some potential options to look for would be things like a forward AND rearward facing camera on the same device, ability to support very large SD cards (I use 64G cards in mine and get about 6 solid hours of recording time on a card), ability to turn off shock sensors and/or adjust sensitivity, ability to record audio and turn audio off, support for GPS stamping into the file (along with time/date and speed), and overall resolution quality (especially in low light).

When it comes to overwriting old files, you typically need to format the card periodically to be sure that there is available space. My camera will beep at me if there's a recording issue, but I don't think it would be heard over the sound of the tractor engine. My camera records three minutes of video at a time (per file), and I think this is fairly common. It's a good balance between not having a billion files to go through and risking losing video because the file is large and gets corrupted.

I have a Viofo A119 camera that cost me about $100 with the GPS mount. The newer ones are even better than the one I have, and I do like mine. Recording during the day is excellent and recording at night is reasonable. The biggest issue with night recording is that your headlights throw off the exposure for anything not directly in the beam. So, what you can see is reduced quite a bit.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #12
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:47 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,661 Times in 1,507 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
    There are a LOT of choices on the market for dash cams, and you get different things with the different ones that are out there. Look for one that has what you want.

Some common things are the ability to simply record over the oldest files when the memory card gets full, shock sensors that will cause an auto-save of the file currently being recorded, ability to press a button to take a snapshot/still photo, ability to press a button to save off the current file in a protected folder, and high quality recording day or night.

Some potential options to look for would be things like a forward AND rearward facing camera on the same device, ability to support very large SD cards (I use 64G cards in mine and get about 6 solid hours of recording time on a card), ability to turn off shock sensors and/or adjust sensitivity, ability to record audio and turn audio off, support for GPS stamping into the file (along with time/date and speed), and overall resolution quality (especially in low light).

When it comes to overwriting old files, you typically need to format the card periodically to be sure that there is available space. My camera will beep at me if there's a recording issue, but I don't think it would be heard over the sound of the tractor engine. My camera records three minutes of video at a time (per file), and I think this is fairly common. It's a good balance between not having a billion files to go through and risking losing video because the file is large and gets corrupted.

I have a Viofo A119 camera that cost me about $100 with the GPS mount. The newer ones are even better than the one I have, and I do like mine. Recording during the day is excellent and recording at night is reasonable. The biggest issue with night recording is that your headlights throw off the exposure for anything not directly in the beam. So, what you can see is reduced quite a bit.
    I noticed on my Go Pro KO camera's when they are recording at night when I am plowing snow, when the snow blows up and over the windshield or through the view of the camera, the intense white sheet of snow, causes the camera to try and adjust itself to deal with the brightness or whatever is happening, so the picture will be very bright, darken a bit and then go back to the right resolution, by then the snow has blown past. But the light reflecting off the snow seems to make the camera struggle a little bit to try and record the image.

You never lose the picture and you can see what is happening, but the sudden either reflection of the light or the whiteness of the snow throws the camera into an adjustment or at least it attempts to. It's probably similar to how our eyes deal with a sudden bright light or abrupt change, just seeing it occur on the video file makes it more obvious.

I am going to try the Dash Cam in the tractor and see what happens. Its worth a shot.
    mark02tj likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2