Dash Camera instead of Go Pro Cameras?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Dash Camera instead of Go Pro Cameras?

  1. Top | #1
    SulleyBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:23 PM
    Location
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Posts
    7,129
    Thanks
    1,424
    Thanked 2,539 Times in 1,422 Posts

    Dash Camera instead of Go Pro Cameras?

    I have a couple of knock off Go Pro cameras and they work well for what they are. However, I recently bought dash cameras for our daily drivers and it got me thinking "Why not install a Dash Camera in the tractor cab?" instead of all the monkeying around with Go Pro cameras?

    While the GO Pro's KO's are handy for mounting for really unique perspectives (like right ahead of the mower chute on the zero turn or off the rear bumper of the zero turn while also under the front of the zero turn at the same time) they have issues such as

    -Battery life. And remembering to charge batteries and carrying spares, etc.

    - Memory cards fill and they stop recording.

    - 10 minute file lengths and sometimes the camera stops recording and has to be restarted for each new 10 minute file and other times it runs file after file.

    - Moving mounts, etc. and adjustable mounts sometimes come loose, etc.

    I have had several situations where it would have been nice to have a video of something which happened while using the tractor and I didn't have the Go Pro KO's on or I looked and they had filled the memory card, battery was dead, etc.

    A few advantages of the Dash Cam approach I see are;

    1. Its on when the tractor is running.

    2. It will keep writing over previous files if I don't have anything I want to save so I shouldn't "miss" anything

    3. I won't have to think about the batteries and bringing the camera, etc. it will be on when the tractor is on.

    Really, the only "issues" I can think of are

    A. Certain things (severe bump or banging into snow piles, etc) might cause the camera to protect the file and save the file, but from what I understand, it's limited in length so that shouldn't be an issue.

    B. If the camera does "protect" a file, how long is the file it saves and will the camera continue to "record around" the saved file?

    B. Having to reposition the mount if I mount it to the glass as the windshield opens, however, I can mount it on a bracket off the headliner or some other alternative so its in place for use whether the windows are opened or not.

    From the experience of those who have been using the dash cams, how severe of a "impact" or "incident" is required to cause the camera to lock the file? Is it something which you think will be a rare occurrence or fairly common with a tractors use, such as mowing across a rough field with the tractor tipping and pitching from the bumps?

    I did learn from using the Go Pro KO's that you want to think about the clearing of the glass with the wiper blade, etc. as having a water covered window in front of the camera which doesn't get cleared with a wiper blade is annoying for the video image you are watching through the camera lens. While the driver looks through the windshield where the wipers clear, having the camera mounted in the corner of the windshield produces a great image when the glass is clean and clear. When its dealing with rain or snow, different issue all together.

    Any other issues or concerns which I might not be considering? While the GoPro's are fun and provide an interesting point of view, I would like to use them for special views and perspectives and in conjunction with video from the Go Pro KO's.

    Any reason why a video file from the Dash cam wouldn't be compatible with the video files from the Go Pro KO's to merge together for video production?

    Thanks for the input........
    mark02tj and jdmich like this.

    1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

    John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

    ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products





  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    SulleyBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:23 PM
    Location
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Posts
    7,129
    Thanks
    1,424
    Thanked 2,539 Times in 1,422 Posts
    Here are the cameras I recently purchased, they were on sale and nearly 50% off on the "Daily Special" that Amazon runs. I think I paid about $80 each with a memory card.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7SNJTW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190306_103902357.jpg  
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 03-06-2019 at 10:24 AM. Reason: trying to rotate the picture....

    1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

    John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

    ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products





  4. Top | #3
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:41 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    20,054
    Thanks
    1,084
    Thanked 3,091 Times in 2,256 Posts
    On my dash cam the G-sensor can be enabled or disabled. You can also adjust the sensitivity of it. If my memory is correct it only records around 60 seconds so it would hardly take up any card space.

    There is also a motion detection mode which will also record and store 60 seconds and is also able to be enabled or disabled.

    You also have the ability to lock a 60 second segment manually by pushing a button if you want.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    SulleyBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:23 PM
    Location
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Posts
    7,129
    Thanks
    1,424
    Thanked 2,539 Times in 1,422 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    On my dash cam the G-sensor can be enabled or disabled. You can also adjust the sensitivity of it. If my memory is correct it only records around 60 seconds so it would hardly take up any card space.

    There is also a motion detection mode which will also record and store 60 seconds and is also able to be enabled or disabled.

    You also have the ability to lock a 60 second segment manually by pushing a button if you want.
    Can you think of any negatives using the dash cam on the tractor? Since its inside the cab, weather and the elements isn't a concern as I see on many reviews and product comments that some dash cams don't like the intense heat inside cars in the Southern states. One dash cam site I was looking at actually suggested removing the dash cam from vehicles parked in the sun in summer months.

    Overall, I think it will work better than the Go Pro's for just recording of the operators view, which is largely what I am seeking. For creative stuff, I can use the Go Pro KO's and their mounts, etc.

    1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

    John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

    ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products





  7. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:04 AM
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Posts
    3,443
    Thanks
    1,168
    Thanked 814 Times in 593 Posts
    IIRC, Sully, part of the reason that you want to record is to CYA in case some customer says that you damaged something. In that case, I think you're still going to need to swap out the cards for each plowing event. Or are you still going to use your GoPro KO's for that?


    I know you're not recording it for the entertainment of your GTT Brethren (and Sistren) since we haven't seen any videos.

    (just yankin' your chain! I know you're busy. And you know that I'm busy. Even too busy lately to give a proper reply to your PM. )



    Looking forward to seeing the responses on this thread. It's an interesting topic - especially given the price point of so many of these cameras.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to mark02tj For This Useful Post:

    BigJim55 (03-07-2019)

  9. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:34 PM
    Location
    N. FL
    Posts
    170
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
    No reason I can think of not to use a dash cam. I have some I paid less than $50 for that have very good resolution. The last one I installed in my wife's car simply mounted around the rear view mirror and plugged in to the OBD port for power. I think I paid $35 for it on ebay. I have another I bought for $17 that I haven't installed on anything but I tested it and it has the same resolution. I stick with the capacitor models that have an android bluetooth interface. I use to use the little 808 #16 keychain cameras but the batteries kept going bad.

    What I look for in a dash cam. No battery, hard wired, 1080P resolution, records in MP4 or MOV format, micro SD with overwrite.

    The one in my truck actually records GPS location and speed but it records in an AVI format that windows media player doesn't recognize. The only time I review the playbacks I do it on the 7" screen in the truck and if I want to copy I just record from that screen to my cell phone. I paid $25 for that one and bought it from the company that made my double din dash unit.
    BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.
    John Deere 4310 tractor, New Holland 575E backhoe, John Deere F725 mower

  10. Top | #7
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:41 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    20,054
    Thanks
    1,084
    Thanked 3,091 Times in 2,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Can you think of any negatives using the dash cam on the tractor? Since its inside the cab, weather and the elements isn't a concern as I see on many reviews and product comments that some dash cams don't like the intense heat inside cars in the Southern states. One dash cam site I was looking at actually suggested removing the dash cam from vehicles parked in the sun in summer months.

    Overall, I think it will work better than the Go Pro's for just recording of the operators view, which is largely what I am seeking. For creative stuff, I can use the Go Pro KO's and their mounts, etc.
    I don’t see any reason not to.

    As far as heat - I am guessing that your tractor is parked in a garage when not in use - if that is the case you won’t get the intense heat of a closed up vehicle sitting in the sun all day. When you are in it working you’ll keep it cool inside for yourself.

    Mark’s comment above is a good one in my opinion about liability. I know I will never be without one in my truck after what happened when a drunk pulled in front of me while I was in a 55 mph road. What took 6 months to iron out would have been 1 day if I had a dash cam to prove what happened.

    I’ve used it once in a while for lots of other things including a huge bull elk in the road. I would never have been able to get a camera - if I even had one with me - in time to capture him.

    You spend some time on a public road as well as other people’s property. As far as when on the road in transport mode the reasoning will be just the same as having them in your vehicles. Anything can happen.....
    mark02tj and SulleyBear like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  11. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:55 AM
    Location
    syracuse ny
    Posts
    327
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    I have two of the ones you purchased, one I payed full price works different than the one they sent me an email on later, not the current model but worked fine. I'll copy a couple of emails below with things that had to be changed to work correctly on the newer model. the older model worked "better" but doesn't turn on with the truck. If you get the free sd card, it wouldn't work in the new model, works fine in the old model.

    Q. received two, both working just fine, one question, the first one I got sometimes shows the correct time sometimes is off by 12 hours, the other is spot on?? thanks.

    answ. Can you please check the time zone that is currently set on the unit that sometimes displays the wrong time?

    Q. Second strange occurrence, I park the truck with a tractor in front of it, got in the truck this am, unit turned on when I started the truck and started recording, stopped once, unit kept recording, stopped to get gas, shut truck off, the record light was solid, the picture on the screen was the same picture with the tractor on it as when I was in my driveway, not sure when it stopped recording?? any clue, will watch it to see if it does it again. thanks mike

    A. after having me reset all kinds of setting etc, replace provided card with better card.
    Hi Michael,

    Thank you for all the information. I also just want to confirm that you have already tried a different/new SD card? This can sometimes also be caused by an incompatible or corrupt SD card. If it does not help, kindly provide me with the serial number on the bottom of your unit and please provide me with an updated return address. Would you prefer to receive a return label from USPS or would you like to ship it on your own (we will reimburse the shipping cost).

    Note they also had me set/check for one setting that senses a crash and change it, but I can't find it. support was fine, but they are apparently in India so everything you do will be done over 24 hrs. they have both been fine for 5 months, but I have never pulled the cards to actually verify that they are readable. guess I should do that. oh ya the one that does turn on when machine started, doesn't always turn on, and I turn it off. good luck
    Last edited by wildbranch2007; 03-07-2019 at 05:07 AM.
    BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.
    2025r fel snowblower

  12. Top | #9
    SulleyBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:23 PM
    Location
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Posts
    7,129
    Thanks
    1,424
    Thanked 2,539 Times in 1,422 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    I have two of the ones you purchased, one I payed full price works different than the one they sent me an email on later, not the current model but worked fine. I'll copy a couple of emails below with things that had to be changed to work correctly on the newer model. the older model worked "better" but doesn't turn on with the truck. If you get the free sd card, it wouldn't work in the new model, works fine in the old model.

    Q. received two, both working just fine, one question, the first one I got sometimes shows the correct time sometimes is off by 12 hours, the other is spot on?? thanks.

    answ. Can you please check the time zone that is currently set on the unit that sometimes displays the wrong time?

    Q. Second strange occurrence, I park the truck with a tractor in front of it, got in the truck this am, unit turned on when I started the truck and started recording, stopped once, unit kept recording, stopped to get gas, shut truck off, the record light was solid, the picture on the screen was the same picture with the tractor on it as when I was in my driveway, not sure when it stopped recording?? any clue, will watch it to see if it does it again. thanks mike

    A. after having me reset all kinds of setting etc, replace provided card with better card.
    Hi Michael,

    Thank you for all the information. I also just want to confirm that you have already tried a different/new SD card? This can sometimes also be caused by an incompatible or corrupt SD card. If it does not help, kindly provide me with the serial number on the bottom of your unit and please provide me with an updated return address. Would you prefer to receive a return label from USPS or would you like to ship it on your own (we will reimburse the shipping cost).

    Note they also had me set/check for one setting that senses a crash and change it, but I can't find it. support was fine, but they are apparently in India so everything you do will be done over 24 hrs. they have both been fine for 5 months, but I have never pulled the cards to actually verify that they are readable. guess I should do that. oh ya the one that does turn on when machine started, doesn't always turn on, and I turn it off. good luck
    I noticed in the ad selling the camera on Amazon they specifically recommended using a certain brand of Memory card and they also specifically suggested NOT using a Memory card make and model and all of the memory cards I have, are the exact ones which they suggest NOT using. I ordered several of the brand card they suggested as the cost wasn't a big deal.

    In a strange way, having different memory cards for the dash camera is kind of nice anyways, as I will just use the brand the dash cam maker suggests in the dash cam only and the others in the Go Pro KO's, etc. Also, the Go Pro cameras and my game cameras aren't supposed to use memory cards larger than 32gb for some reason where the dash cam was suggesting 64gb memory cards of the other brand. So in a way, the cards aren't really interchangeable between the units due to the Go Pro KO's and the game cameras having the 32gb size limitation anyways.

    I am going to try the Dash Cam in my tractor and see how it works. The cash cameras sure are tiny.........The entire outfit isn't much more than 2" square. It's also nice because I plan on mounting the dash camera high in the cab, likely in the center of the windshield or off the center of the cab roof and all of the power is also in the cab roof with power of every source, on with the key, on a switch and even 12 volt direct hot, which I wouldn't want for the camera. Mounting the camera high, the power cord won't have to be more than 18" long in total to go from the intended mounting location to the camera.

    I think I will maintain a long power wire on the camera for now and just roll it up and tuck it in the area above the headliner just in case I need to change the mounting location and move is down further for some reason. That way, if that is the case, all I will need to do is pull some more of the coiled wire to reach the alternate location. If the high mounting location works out great, the next time I have the roof off, I will likely then shorten the power wire just because I like to keep all of the wiring neat and tidy..............

    This dash cam does record your GPS location and allows it to be replayed on a map to show the exact location. That should be interesting to see the GPS history when plowing snow or mowing with the rear 3 point mower as the map should be back and forth over the same area. I didn't really plan on using the GPS mapping for anything but just thought it might come in handy with the SUV's..........

    1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

    John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

    ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products





  13. Top | #10
    SulleyBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:23 PM
    Location
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Posts
    7,129
    Thanks
    1,424
    Thanked 2,539 Times in 1,422 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    IIRC, Sully, part of the reason that you want to record is to CYA in case some customer says that you damaged something. In that case, I think you're still going to need to swap out the cards for each plowing event. Or are you still going to use your GoPro KO's for that?


    I know you're not recording it for the entertainment of your GTT Brethren (and Sistren) since we haven't seen any videos.

    (just yankin' your chain! I know you're busy. And you know that I'm busy. Even too busy lately to give a proper reply to your PM. )



    Looking forward to seeing the responses on this thread. It's an interesting topic - especially given the price point of so many of these cameras.
    For some reason, since one of the last updates to Firefox, my laptop has been inconsistent with the You tube videos and it tends to lock up or freeze on the You Tube pages. I downloaded a video editing software program that was recommended and whether it's the editing software or the Firefox update, video's have been very funky ever since, especially when I view my memory cards. I need to take time to learn the video editing software as one of my concerns about posting any video's is I want to make sure to edit out street signs, house numbers, etc. and other specific location identifiers.

    I need to buy a new computer, but I hate to change once I get used to something I like and am familiar with. My laptop's memory card reader works some time, doesn't other times, so I purchased a USB memory card reader and that's the same way, some times it shows up as a drive location, sometimes it doesn't. WHen it doesn't, I can often reboot or reset the computer and it will find the drive in the USB port.

    My neighbor is an IT person and she does website video for our local hospital website. She has offered to help me with the videos, but she works full time, her husband has taken a job in Chicago and she doesn't even get home from work and picking up her kids until almost 7:30 every night so I don't want to bother her. I am sure she could knock out the video stuff in short order and show me how to do it including the editing. Heck, her 10 year old son probably could. I bought him a Go Pro camera KO and a full kit of the various mounts, etc as he wants to be a "You Tuber" making videos of playing video games....(apparently its something younger people like to do, watch others play video games on You Tube...., sounds boring to me.....)

    I really hope the Go Pro cameras caught all of the blizzard we had when it was -30 air temp and -55 wind chill and I was plowing the snow drifts which when I would hit the drifts, they would come over the blade and top flap and over the hood of the tractor and even completely white out the windshield for several seconds. That was extreme plowing conditions, pushing snow that was 18" to 48" deep and the wind was causing some serious challenges. But I got it done......

    I haven't even looked at the video cards to see if it worked, but I did run both cameras at the same time just to try and make sure to get some of it on video. That was the storm where I had to block the radiator from the extreme cold and also where I used my infrared temp gun and the ground temp was between -19.3 and -29.4. My canine kids couldn't walk outside for more than about 20 seconds and they would have feet freezing troubles. They had to wear socks on their feet to help them go out and take care of business.......

    I just figured you are ignoring me since the message I sent was last month, but hey, don't give it a thought....... I do know that I had to delete a bunch of PM's as I had reached the limit so I probably deleted the message I sent..........So at this point, it's like it never happened...............

    Don't worry, I didn't take it too personally, being snubbed and all...... Sometimes, it's what's NOT said that can speak volumes .....
    mark02tj likes this.

    1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

    John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

    ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products





  14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bought a dash camera
    By 56FordGuy in forum Computer/Electronics
    Replies: 150
    Last Post: 06-18-2019, 05:24 AM
  2. Lights, Cameras, Action!
    By keane in forum Sub Compact Utility Tractors (SCUT)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-09-2019, 12:22 AM
  3. New Technology - Cameras & Video
    By coaltrain in forum Computer/Electronics
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 12-29-2016, 06:31 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-29-2015, 01:13 AM
  5. Home surveillance cameras need suggestions please
    By JD230511 in forum Home & Workshop Projects
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-22-2013, 01:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •