Wireless Nanny Cams needed and not the junk I have encountered
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Wireless Nanny Cams needed and not the junk I have encountered

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,404 Posts

Wireless Nanny Cams needed and not the junk I have encountered

I need to find a good, wireless "Nanny Cam" that I can install at some dear friends house, people who are my "adopted parents". A wonderful couple I have known for most of my life who are now caring for their 97 year old sister in law.

Here is what I need in my new cameras;
    Easy to use and very RELIABLE, these people are not tech savy.

2.4 ghz or 5 ghz wireless WIFI Nanny or Interior Security cameras

3 Megapixels or more (ideally)

App supports multiple cameras and ability to switch from one camera to the next camera easily on the control device

Use IPhone and or IPad to monitor and control cameras

Able to work with WIFI extenders due to the distance between camera locations

Pan, tilt and zoom features would be nice

2 way sound (listen and speak via the cameras).

An App written to be used by English speaking customers

American Based TECH SUPPORT with English speaking customer service / tech people (I don't speak Sputnik).......

Personal experiences with the cameras I just tried
    Let me tell you my experiences the last few days trying other products. First, I spent a lot of time on Amazon reading camera set up manuals and user reviews. I found a camera I thought fit the bill, based upon its high number of positive reviews. I ordered 4 of them, What a freaking nightmare that quickly turned into.

First, the cameras were supposed to be almost "self connecting" and really simple to use. I ordered 4 of these and memory cards and took them over to my dear friends home. I tried and tried to get the camera linked into this couple's WIFI network and was not able. My friends have Apple I Phones and an I Pad and I am not that familiar with Apple products, but this isn't rocket science or brain surgery. But it's also not that different than Windows and Android systems for connection issues. I tried to connect on their WIFI system and I tried each of the cameras, I constantly ran into the very same fault where the cameras would not sync with the WIFI network. Same exact fault message at the same part of the install process. EVERY SINGLE TIME.......

After spending 6 hours, over 50 tries with the 4 cameras, resetting the WIFI system, rebooting the cameras so often I almost wore out the reset buttons, I finally packed up everything and brought it to my house. I wasted another 5 hours trying to get these connected to my WIFI system using Android phones, (2 different ones) a Windows computer, nothing. I did get one camera to work briefly on my WIFI system after 15 attempts and I was sitting at the desk where the Wireless Router is located, so I could touch the WIFI source, the camera and the Android device. But the moment I moved away from the desk, that camera never worked again and I had all of the same connection issues.

Incidentally, the cameras I bought have a Cat5 jack on the back of them but it won't work unless the cameras are first connected via WIFI. Many cameras actually work just the opposite, you can use the Cat5 cable to configure and set the cameras up and then you can move the cameras off the cat 5 cable and place them for WIFI use. Why would you have a Cat 5 connection on a camera if you MUST connect the camera via WIFI? Just think about the logic of this set up. By the way, I asked the Tech support why they have Cat 5 ports on the cameras if they MUST be connected via WIfi, I never got an answer. Seems pretty strange to me.......

I returned to my friends after my brief success and double checked all of their router settings and made sure the password didn't have any special characters, etc. I replicated the connection process again and again and reset the cameras every new attempt. I even moved furniture so I could sit at their WIFI router and attempt the camera pairing with the devices within 5 feet of one another. I got nowhere. Not one ounce closer.......I even deleted and reloaded the APP on each device at least 3 times, just in case the APP download had some issues. Didn't matter......

Technical Support contact results
    I had tried to contact the advertised 24 hour tech service, but its not 24 hrs, it is instead, 9 to 5 central time. After waiting nearly 12 hours for the first email response each day, when my initial email to them which laid out specific issues was replied to with "Read the manual, and watch Help video" I nearly lost it. They didn't answer one question about the connection faults or error message which I had seen by then, dozens of times.

Their technical service said they had "never heard of the Xfinity router" and I copied all of the properties about the WIFI router into an email and they responded again "never heard of this router" and they implied I should buy a new one, yet every other wireless device they have works flawlessly for this couple including multiple devices and even blood pressure machine which sends to the VA daily. I am not going to purchase a new WIFI router when everything else works fine. They wanted me to "send them a link to my router", not going to happen. If they can't get what they need from the technical summary of the product from the specs page, its not my job to perform their technical research. The only thing I am going to "send" is the box packed full of these cameras, back to Amazon........

A Help Video or merely a Demonstration?
    Well, the "Help video" is a nearly 7 minute demonstration of how to connect these "****ing cameras which I had replicated the process step by step so many times, I could do it in my sleep. The "Help video" had NOT ONE SPOKEN WORD the entire video. NOTHING, but watching someone's hands do the process which is cryptically outlined in their "User Manual". It's not a "Help video", its a demonstration and the fact the company doesn't know the difference is simply astounding and speaks volumes.

It's time to talk about English Languge Product Material on China products
    A few words about the manuals. I am NO LONGER patient with these companies who are producing "English Language" manuals written by people for whom English is not their primary language. This is a relatively new phenomenon since the invasion of China crap in the last 15 years. Someone copies and pastes the English language together into incoherent sentences and completely worthless manuals. Here are some examples of the language from this cameras manual and other technical sources which were referred to me, the customer......

"Open the app read and agree for Private Police" (Say what in English?, Perhaps "Privacy Policy")

"Create Profile of your Placement" (Apparently, they meant to register the product...??..)

"Download to your emulator".....(I know what it is to "emulate" something, so I can imagine what this is, but again a complete failure in English, How many of you own an "emulator"?.....)

"Essential critical to pairing, make pairing conenction lights sure are fast flashing double second on all items or failure is alike" (FYI, I spelled the words just as they did)......Turns out, after I searched for the "connection lights, the tech support told me "We use directions for lots of products and not all apply." So, I pressed for clarity "Does the device even have pairing lights?" and the answer was "No." Seriously, WTF? Not only was the above gibberish, it served no point even being in the instructions for this device.

Bottom line, I am going to read every product manual (when possible) BEFORE purchasing any technical items from now on and when I encounter gibberish such as the above, I am moving along. Is it too much to spend some money and hire an English Speaking (as their PRIMARY LANGUAGE) writer to create or at a minimum, edit the documents they are all copying from one another?

My patience with China SHEET is completely gone. I have long maintained that Made in China is more often a warning label and my experiences have borne that out time and again......

Ok, my rant is over....for now.....

I still need to find some cameras which will work. I am relying upon the personal experiences and wisdom of the GTT family.

Camera Brand which I just Tried
    Incidentally, the camera brand which was a train wreck for me was the Morvelli Camera Brand, so lets skip that one.......Check out their website, I wish I had before I bought the cameras.

https://morvelli.com/

The website is largely pointless, unless you want to drive to someones house in the Chicago area and there is a map for that. None of the links are connected to anything and there is nothing other than the email address for their "24/7 Tech Support" which works 9 to 5 central time.

The Morvelli has 70 5 star ratings on Amazon and frankly, I hope I just got 4 bad cameras, but how else can one explain such failure to connect something which is supposedly simple? I did notice that nearly all of the bad reviews have come in the last 30 days, so I wonder if something is up with their production of these new to the market cameras.........

A sincere thank you for helpful information which leads me to my solution......

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    This may not have everything you are looking for but...these are amazing cameras for the price with great support. They are growing like crazy.

The founders are both from Amazon .- started out doing their own thing a couple years ago - based in Seattle.

Take a look at what they have to offer. Tons of support videos about setup and use.

Wyze | Making Great Technology Accessible

I bought one of their $20 cameras about 1.5 years ago. It has been flawless. I had it outside on my porch this past winter and it never made a hiccup - and it is not meant to be an outdoor camera. They are working on an outdoor unit or an enclosure right now.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Thanks
    If you want the best and most reliable, that would be NEST. You can get them on sale or reduced price in bundles of multiple cameras. From what little I know about you, I strongly suspect that price is secondary to reliability and Nest fits that bill. Singly they run as much as $200 each. They have both indoor and outdoor cameras. They are accessible via the internet and you have a choice of keeping the history for 5 days for $50 per year with other options for longer periods of time. They do have sound capability. Also notifications that you can set for any movement or just when it spots a person. I have mine set just for persons, therefore when it sees a car, I do not get a notification, but it is still recorded.

Since they constantly upload to the internet, you do need a decent internet upload speed. I currently have mine set for 720P, but they also can do 360p or 1080p. I ran my single camera on a 1mbps upload at 720p for 3 years with no issues. My neighbor has 3 running at 360p on the same 1mbps upload, but that is really stretching it. I now have 7mbps upload so could change to 1080p, but the 720p is just fine.

Check them out at Nest Cam | Indoor and Outdoor Home Security Cameras | Nest BTW, you can set them up to have multiple user access. I do that with my neighbors as I take care of his place most of the time.

Dave
    SulleyBear likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    This may not have everything you are looking for but...these are amazing cameras for the price with great support. They are growing like crazy.

The founders are both from Amazon .- started out doing their own thing a couple years ago - based in Seattle.

Take a look at what they have to offer. Tons of support videos about setup and use.

Wyze | Making Great Technology Accessible

I bought one of their $20 cameras about 1.5 years ago. It has been flawless. I had it outside on my porch this past winter and it never made a hiccup - and it is not meant to be an outdoor camera. They are working on an outdoor unit or an enclosure right now.
    Thanks Stan, that brand is at the top of my list as I am reviewing the various choices.

I hope Jake is doing well as well as you and Mrs. CT.

It's interesting to see the photo's of Jake as a mature dog. He sure is a good dog. I sure am glad you both made the decision to take a chance on him after the loss of Bentley.........It seems like it was a win for all involved.

Now, he needs a brother or sister to show the ropes. We have had great success with dogs we have had a couple of years showing the ropes to new "pack members". Dogs really do seem to enjoy having a canine family member and it seems to help prevent boredom and they both tend to keep one another busy.......We continue to keep our eyes open for our next "pack member".........

One thing I have learned reading product reviews, regardless of the product, there is a percentage of the positive reviews who even admit not having tried the product, yet they post some 5 star review and nonsense like "It sure looks like its going to work well so I am happy" despite them not even having used the product yet......

And the flip side is a negative review of the product which in reality, has nothing to do with the product itself. Everything from shipping issues to failure to get a discount coupon applied and everything in between and some will trash a product for issues which have nothing to do with the product itself.

Reviews are like anything else, of value when fact based and accurate or nearly worthless when they have no relationship to the product itself.

I would like to be able to add an outside camera or two for Mom2 and Dad2. I would like for them to be able to see who's at the door, etc as well as their deck and rear yard area without going to the door itself. After my frustrations the last few days with wireless cameras, I was about ready to have an electrician pull a series of cat 5 cables to connect a POE camera network for them, but I would prefer to avoid that if I can achieve these goals with wireless cameras.

Thanks again.
    BigJim55 and coaltrain like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Thanks
    We have a system based on the Blink cameras that are now owned by Amazon. They meet all of your requirements except one. They are only 2 MP cameras while you're looking for 3 MP. Otherwise, they are very similar to the ARLO systems.
    BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    If you want the best and most reliable, that would be NEST. You can get them on sale or reduced price in bundles of multiple cameras. From what little I know about you, I strongly suspect that price is secondary to reliability and Nest fits that bill. Singly they run as much as $200 each. They have both indoor and outdoor cameras. They are accessible via the internet and you have a choice of keeping the history for 5 days for $50 per year with other options for longer periods of time. They do have sound capability. Also notifications that you can set for any movement or just when it spots a person. I have mine set just for persons, therefore when it sees a car, I do not get a notification, but it is still recorded.

Since they constantly upload to the internet, you do need a decent internet upload speed. I currently have mine set for 720P, but they also can do 360p or 1080p. I ran my single camera on a 1mbps upload at 720p for 3 years with no issues. My neighbor has 3 running at 360p on the same 1mbps upload, but that is really stretching it. I now have 7mbps upload so could change to 1080p, but the 720p is just fine.

Check them out at Nest Cam | Indoor and Outdoor Home Security Cameras | Nest BTW, you can set them up to have multiple user access. I do that with my neighbors as I take care of his place most of the time.

Dave
    Thanks, Dave. Ironically, I think you know me fairly well as you nailed the issue of product quality and reliability verses price. That is exactly how I feel about these types of things and many purchases, in fact.

A neighbor who also happens to be a snow plow and even lawn mowing customer as well, has a cabin about 5 hours north of our location. He has two or three Nest cameras and he uses them to keep an eye on the place. I think he may even have a camera which looks out the window, yet is inside the house, because he also has a round exterior thermometer which hangs on the wall on his cabin so he can see the actual temp in side, as well as getting the information communicated to him from other sources. He has been happy with the Nest cameras.

He even was telling me how when he got the snow plow bill for his cabin, he checked it against the actual recorded dates and found he was being over billed by about 25% for events which didn't occur. Too bad his other snow plow provider isn't as honest as the guy who plows his driveway at this house.....

I like the idea of multiple administrator accounts as well as it might be able to help me resolve any issues which might come up without me having to drive across town to their location. I could potentially address any service issues remotely which would be helpful.

Thanks again for your response......I appreciate it.

1025R with Mauser Cab

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    We have a system based on the Blink cameras that are now owned by Amazon. They meet all of your requirements except one. They are only 2 MP cameras while you're looking for 3 MP. Otherwise, they are very similar to the ARLO systems.
    Jim, thanks for the reply, has the battery life been an issue at all for the cameras you are using? I see some reports where some get great battery life where others complain about replacing batteries monthly or more often? I would imagine the settings have a large impact on that issue........

Also, for these types of devices, I have always used the Energizer Lithium Batteries (the silver and blue electronic device batteries) like in my game cameras and they last a long time. In fact, I usually run out of memory card space before batteries on the game cameras......

2MP would be fine as well, for these cameras. I selected 3MP more of less in a coin flip in my typing fingers......

Thanks again..........

1025R with Mauser Cab

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Thanks, Dave. Ironically, I think you know me fairly well as you nailed the issue of product quality and reliability verses price. That is exactly how I feel about these types of things and many purchases, in fact.

A neighbor who also happens to be a snow plow and even lawn mowing customer as well, has a cabin about 5 hours north of our location. He has two or three Nest cameras and he uses them to keep an eye on the place. I think he may even have a camera which looks out the window, yet is inside the house, because he also has a round exterior thermometer which hangs on the wall on his cabin so he can see the actual temp in side, as well as getting the information communicated to him from other sources. He has been happy with the Nest cameras.

He even was telling me how when he got the snow plow bill for his cabin, he checked it against the actual recorded dates and found he was being over billed by about 25% for events which didn't occur. Too bad his other snow plow provider isn't as honest as the guy who plows his driveway at this house.....

I like the idea of multiple administrator accounts as well as it might be able to help me resolve any issues which might come up without me having to drive across town to their location. I could potentially address any service issues remotely which would be helpful.

Thanks again for your response......I appreciate it.
    Here is a night screen capture on my Nest camera from 2 years ago where a teenaged young lady got stuck about 1/4 mile from my place and was knocking on doors trying to find someone to help. This was at midnight and the temp was zero. She was 30 minutes from dying. She was not dressed warm enough, but you know how teenagers are. Fortunately I heard her at the door as I had just gone to bed. BTW there is an option for saving video segments, which I had done on this instance.

Dave

Edit::: I should mention that these are ac powered. No batteries.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	night visitor.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	681016
    Last edited by ddinham; 04-12-2019 at 04:05 PM.
    BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Jim, thanks for the reply, has the battery life been an issue at all for the cameras you are using? I see some reports where some get great battery life where others complain about replacing batteries monthly or more often? I would imagine the settings have a large impact on that issue........
    I have 5 cameras inside the house and 5 outside. I usually use Energizer lithium batteries and get at least a year's use out of each (I replace them every fall on principle. I'd rather not have to pull out a ladder to do it in the middle of winter.). If I use alkaline batteries it drops down to 7-9 months. I've only ever done that with indoor cameras until I can go buy more lithium batteries.

I can't imagine what someone would be doing to only get a month out of a battery. Maybe they are using cheapo Dollar Store off-brand Chinese batteries?
    BigJim55 likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    @SullyBear:

There are two important pieces of information that I didn't see in your original post (maybe I just missed it):

- What is the actual purpose of the cameras? Defining the use case will also define how to determine the way to measure success in supporting that use case.
    - Who will be using the app? You? Others? Both?

The Wyze cameras that I have (super cheap, no PTZ in the models I bought) do everything that you've listed (including two way audio) and image quality is very good. But, the app is still evolving and they're adding features fairly regularly.

Setup was really easy, and the couple of times I've reached out for Support I've communicated with English speaking folks. HOWEVER... Their turnaround for support requests is slow because they're a growing company and don't have a large support staff at this point.
    BigJim55 and mark02tj like this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to meburdick For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (04-18-2019)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast