Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: old laptop

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:46 AM
    Thanks

old laptop

I've got an old H/P laptop that died. If I take the disc thing out of it, is that all I need to do to remove my personal files and data?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by X750 View Post
    I've got an old H/P laptop that died. If I take the disc thing out of it, is that all I need to do to remove my personal files and data?
    Yes take the Hard Drive out and the memory card would not hurt. If you do not need the hard drive take a hammer to both the HD and the memory chips. That will ensure nothing can be retrieved. Make sure the HD is damaged beyond use.
    X750 and Toughsox like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:58 PM
    Thanks
    There's the makings for a Hillary Clinton joke here.
    Gizmo2, farmgirl19, jdmich and 5 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:58 PM
    Thanks
    Just Take the Hard drive Out You May be able to recover Your files if that what You still want to do Just because the computer doesn't work doesn't mean your Data is gone. If You don't Care about Your data Pound a Nail thru the Hard drive and Make sure all the Platters are destroyed Before you throw it Out.

We shred are Hard drive for our Clients because one of our Clients is a Foreign Ministry of Defense
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Angle grinder, chop saw or drill bit works good as well.
    X750 likes this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post
    Just Take the Hard drive Out You May be able to recover Your files if that what You still want to do Just because the computer doesn't work doesn't mean your Data is gone. If You don't Care about Your data Pound a Nail thru the Hard drive and Make sure all the Platters are destroyed Before you throw it Out.

We shred are Hard drive for our Clients because one of our Clients is a Foreign Ministry of Defense
    Hard drive shredders are fun AND noisy. :-)
    Toughsox likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by X750 View Post
    Make sure it’s the hard drive and not the “disc thing” that’s two different things.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isn’t paying attention*

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
    Yes take the Hard Drive out and the memory card would not hurt. If you do not need the hard drive take a hammer to both the HD and the memory chips. That will ensure nothing can be retrieved. Make sure the HD is damaged beyond use.
    I wouldn't worry about the memory chips. Nothing is going to be on them. The only way the data is recoverable is if the machine stayed powered up or dropped into something like liquid nitrogen and then quickly recovered. We have some tools that we use when seizing a computer to keep it powered up and the user logged in if they happened to be using the computer when the warrant is served. https://www.cru-inc.com/products/wie...d_kit_product/

That is unless you are talking about a M.2 Drive but I would doubt an old computer would have that type of drive. They are not very common until you get into higher end relatively new computers. I have one in my Dell along with a traditional SSD.

I would pull the HD and destroy or do what you want with it. There are some software options out there (some free) that will destroy the data on a drive to DOD Specs yet the drive can still be used. We have to do that to meet the FBI standards for drives that have held Criminal Justice Information. However that only works on functioning drives. If it is a drive that is pulled from service because it is failing then we physically destroy them. as we can't trust that a wipe will be successful.
    MDrew and Toughsox like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Thanks
    Make it a FUN thing........personally i would take it out to my personal gun range and blast the whole computer to shreads.....then if the hard drive was somehow still intact i would set it up and blast the heck out of it..........or some other appropriate fate...........physical destruction of the hard drive is the goal....

beat it to pulp with tractor
    weld or cutting torch it
    etc
    Last edited by ttazzman; 05-02-2019 at 01:42 PM.
    MDrew, jdmich, Toughsox and 2 others like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post
    Make it a FUN thing........personally i would take it out to my personal gun range and blast the whole computer to shreads.....then if the hard drive was somehow still intact i would set it up and blast the heck out of it..........or some other appropriate fate...........physical destruction of the hard drive is the goal....

beat it to pulp with tractor
    weld or cutting torch it
    etc
    We used to do this but the range got tired of the trash left behind. I do like the smoke wrench option the best.
    Toughsox likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast