Why do name brand cassette recorders now cost $200-$300?
Like Tree34Likes
  • 6 Post By jgayman
  • 6 Post By SRG
  • 7 Post By Old Cajun
  • 5 Post By dieselshadow
  • 4 Post By Jamone
  • 5 Post By Herminator
  • 1 Post By ejb69

Thread: Why do name brand cassette recorders now cost $200-$300?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts

I can remember having a few "shoe box" style portable cassette player/recorders over the years. Sony, Panasonic, etc. It seems that everyone made one. They all worked the same and most cost around $29-$40.

I was recently looking for one for an elderly relative to use and imagine my surprise when I saw the prices. The Panasonic model shown above now sells for $269 on Amazon. Sony units sell for similar prices. Since when does cheap consumer electrics INCREASE in price ten-fold? Sure, there are now tons of no-name Chinesium units that sell for $20-$25 and have USB ports for hooking to your PC but they all have terrible reviews and appear to be mostly junk. The one feature that they all appear to fail miserably at is recording to a cassette tape. Imagine that.

How on earth could a basic portable cassette player that runs on (4)C batteries now cost close to $300? It wasn't too long ago you couldn't give one of these away.

Why didn't someone tell me? I would have stocked up on these back when they were a dime a dozen and they would now fund a retirement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cassette.jpg  
    glc, flyweight, Old Cajun and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    SRG
    Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 05:38 AM
    Thanks
    Simple Supply and Demand, would be my guess. If you had a stock pile of them @ $300, you'd be rich.... in cassette players/recorders.
    Used market on Ebay?
    glc, jgayman, Old Cajun and 3 others like this.

1997 JD 870 (28hp Yanmar), FWA, R1's, 300x loader, 61" bucket, 42" Titan forks, Pat's Easy Change.
    [72" KK box blade, 72" KK landscape rake, 72" Titan pine straw rake, 72" Express Steel snow pusher{XP24}, 60" KK tiller, 60" rotary cutter, middle buster, boom pole]
    2004 JD 797 (29hp Kawasaki) Z-Trak, 72" 7-Iron deck, Mulch blades, Carlisle AT101's.
    Stihl: MS250C/18", FS70R, HS45/18".

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,327 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I can remember having a few "shoe box" style portable cassette player/recorders over the years. Sony, Panasonic, etc. It seems that everyone made one. They all worked the same and most cost around $29-$40.

I was recently looking for one for an elderly relative to use and imagine my surprise when I saw the prices. The Panasonic model shown above now sells for $269 on Amazon. Sony units sell for similar prices. Since when does cheap consumer electrics INCREASE in price ten-fold? Sure, there are now tons of no-name Chinesium units that sell for $20-$25 and have USB ports for hooking to your PC but they all have terrible reviews and appear to be mostly junk. The one feature that they all appear to fail miserably at is recording to a cassette tape. Imagine that.

How on earth could a basic portable cassette player that runs on (4)C batteries now cost close to $300? It wasn't too long ago you couldn't give one of these away.

Why didn't someone tell me? I would have stocked up on these back when they were a dime a dozen and they would now fund a retirement.
    Wonder what the price of a buggy whip is now days.
    glc, DRobinson, arlen and 4 others like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,295 Times in 2,584 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Cajun View Post
    Wonder what the price of a buggy whip is now days.
    Did you lose yours AGAIN?!?

You’re gonna need to tie string to all your stuff and your belt....
    glc, Old Cajun, Herminator and 2 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:12 PM
    Thanks

Well because just about nobody wants one these days. Tech that is near end of life always goes way up in price. Because those people that want to hang on to the old/familiar stuff will pay more (to a point).

Why not just get a digital recorder that records either to internal memory or a SD card? You can get those at reasonable prices and will do the same job. Looking for one in the $20-30 price range is too cheap. Just compute inflation since those $30 tape recorders were new would put an equivalent price of at least $50 in today’s money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader
    Last edited by Jamone; 08-24-2019 at 07:54 PM.
    glc, Herminator, PJR832 and 1 others like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Thanks
    5 years ago I bought a cannon printer for $100. It broke a couple weeks ago. I could have bought the new model for $100.00 but the same one was $200.00. Since I know how to use it for copying or scanning to a usb I paid it. I was happy that even though it is the same model it is a lot faster.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:09 PM
    Thanks
    I didn’t know they still made them. I’m somewhat surprised you can even buy them without having to go to a second hand store.
    glc likes this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements