I'm done with consumer routers and wifi, it's all garbage!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: I'm done with consumer routers and wifi, it's all garbage!

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:20 AM
    Thanks

I'm done with consumer routers and wifi, it's all garbage!

I will never buy a consumer router or wifi access point ever again. Even the highly rated stuff is complete junk. I ripped my enter closet apart and started over again. New quality POE switch for cameras and the access point. New unmanaged switch for everything else. New Protectli FW4B fanless mini PC and installed the pfSense open source router/firewall on it. Put a little netgear 4G LTE modem in as a failover WAN since Comcast cable internet is not the most reliable thing here. New Ubiquiti AC-Lite WiFi access point in the ceiling. The PC is a server for cameras and some storage. All on UPS power.

Magically, everything now works beautifully and without constantly crapping out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mess.jpg clean.jpg clean2.jpg ap.jpg
    Kennyd, Gizmo2, Tomfive and 7 others like this.
    1025r | 60D | Forks | AV20F Grapple & 3rd SCV | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch w/ extended top hook | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,668 Times in 1,263 Posts
    I guess it depends what you mean by junk. Iíve been using consumer units as long as there have been consumer units and I donít recall ever having a failure. Most units only finally got replaced because they were so old that they no longer worked supported the features of modern user devices.

I still had an original Linksys WAP52G AP in use until just recently.
    Gizmo2, OxPath, jdforever and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Thanks
    I can't stand half the routers I've ever used. They never move the amount a MBPS that they claim they can do. I've paid some good money for high speed internet and I never see it at 100% for more than a week after calling to complain. Afterwards it's at best 60% of what I'm paying for. The range...ha! The range is pathetic even when using relay points that plug into outlets to help boost strength over a distance.

My buddy has been having excellent luck with a Ubiquiti Amplifi Mesh wifi system. My IT guru buddy uses Ubiquti cameras, AP's and network routers at all his commercial customers places including my FILs farm. He beams a wifi signal about a 1/4mi away to a horse barn where he runs over a dozen HD cameras.
    Gizmo2, mark02tj and johnH123 like this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Thanks
    I have Ubiquiti as well.

Right now I am running the Edge Router X, several of their switches, UniFi AP AC PRO and an UniFi AP AC LR. I looked at their cameras but I have been going with Reolink lately that tie back to my Synology using Surveillance Station. I am about to go over the 2 camera cap before needing more licensing and am thinking about scrapping that and going with Blue Iris for the camera stuff. That is the reasoning behind Reolink. I wanted more open source for the backend rather than be tied too hard to Unifi.

For a controller, I am running a Linux box (VM) which has the controller on it. The I did set up a system with the USG, Switch, AP AC LR and Cloud Key for a buddy a while back. While I don't have any complaints about the Edge Router X, it would be nice to cut over to USG just to simplify things. However there are some performance limitations with the regular USG which means I have been thinking about jumping tot he USG Pro 4. However, for the price of that I have been debating if I am better off going pfSense. I do like the network visibility in a single management with the USG/Unifi Controller though after setting it up.

The best things about going over to Unifi is the seamless handoffs as I bounce from AP to AP. I am running 2 right now but will be adding a 3rd (thinking Unifi nanoHD). VLAN support!!! Those pesky IoT devices are completely isolated!!! The kids are on their own VLAN with time and DNS restrictions.

I will say that while Ubiquiti is nice, you don't need to be a full on Network Engineer to run it, but you do need more knowledge than the average user.

I had a fun time with mine a couple weeks ago. We had a lighting strike close to the house. My main Unifi Switch took a hit and died. That sucks but oh well. I ordered up a new one and hooked it up. Hmm Huston, we have a problem. How am I going to get all this back up and running. My controller is a VM on my main machine in the basement. I could go down there and connect to it. However, I have my controller protected with MFA through Google Authenticator. If it doesn't have internet access, how could MFA validate my code??? It was my main switch that died so I needed that up to pass the trunked connection to my basement switch and then my computer running the VM. If I had a Cloud Key it is portable so I could move it to where it was plugged into the switch but I didn't have that option.

After looking over what I had and a couple beers I came up with a solution. My replaced switch plugs into the Edge Router X. So, I reconfigured one of the ports as a trunk port to pass the VLANs down to my office switch. I then had the new switch in another port on the Edge Router X. This way it was on the network and I could get into the controller so I could provision the new switch and push a config to it. However I forgot I needed to SSH into the new switch to set the discovery IP as my controller sits on a different VLAN than the one I use for an admin VLAN for all my devices. I should probably change that. It isn't a big deal to putty into the device and a one time thing to change, but I keep forgetting about it.

There are lots of coworkers and buddies that say I should be using Cisco stuff. I like Ubiquiti and I point out to them, sure they are using enterprise Cisco gear that they get for little to nothing because it is retired equipment. However it is retired for a reason. It is end of life and more often than not updates are not available. Then security flaws are discovered and they can't patch them. Sure I have my share of old Cisco gear but that sits in a lab to play with. Haven't even powered it on in a few years though.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,112 Times in 2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I guess it depends what you mean by junk. Iíve been using consumer units as long as there have been consumer units and I donít recall ever having a failure. Most units only finally got replaced because they were so old that they no longer worked supported the features of modern user devices.

I usually buy routers and modems when they pop up at super clearance prices and keep a few on hand.

The one I am using now - a Netgear 6100 - I bought for exactly $20 shipped from Staples. Itís been in constant use for over 2 years now including daily streaming of Netflix, Hulu, etc. Not one hiccup other than having to reboot it once in a while when we get our frequent quick power outages. The power line has an automatic breaker system for when a tree limb falls on it. Off - on - off - on within a couple seconds.

If that one ever gives up or stops being updated I have 2 Asus routers waiting in line.
    mark02tj and DanW like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:20 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    ..and am thinking about scrapping that and going with Blue Iris for the camera stuff.
    I've been using BlueIris for years and I am very happy with it. 9 cameras running great. I have it installed on HP Elitedesk desktop PC I bought on eBay for a few hundred bucks. Windows 10, i5, 8GB RAM. With 9 cameras, several of which are "4k", the CPU and RAM run a constant 50% utilization. I put a 1TB WD Purple drive in it for storage.

All the cameras are hikvision, mostly from Nelly's Security. There are 4 exterior POE cameras cabled back to the POE switch. Three more wireless cube cameras inside the house & garage. And an exterior camera outside the shed on WiFi bridge since I accidentally ripped the conduit out of the ground with a subsoiler. I have a Nest doorbell with it's video coming back into BlueIris as well.

The 3 exterior front cameras I have recording 24/7 with alerts on motion. I do this because they face the street and my neighbor's farm, so if something happens off my property the recording will still be there and may be helpful. The backyard and interior are all recording on motion only.

I can log into the web UI from my desk at work, or the app from my phone, just a typical port forward through the router.
    1025r | 60D | Forks | AV20F Grapple & 3rd SCV | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch w/ extended top hook | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 08:29 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedals2Paddles View Post
    I will never buy a consumer router or wifi access point ever again. Even the highly rated stuff is complete junk. I ripped my enter closet apart and started over again. New quality POE switch for cameras and the access point. New unmanaged switch for everything else. New Protectli FW4B fanless mini PC and installed the pfSense open source router/firewall on it. Put a little netgear 4G LTE modem in as a failover WAN since Comcast cable internet is not the most reliable thing here. New Ubiquiti AC-Lite WiFi access point in the ceiling. The PC is a server for cameras and some storage. All on UPS power.

Magically, everything now works beautifully and without constantly crapping out.
    Good idea. Now cut the power and make sure everything still working . . . don't ask how I know to make that suggestion
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

1025r Tractor aka Bucky ~ New in April 2018 ~ 225 hours to date, about 13 hours per month - - - no lawn cutting

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Forks ~ Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~ DeThatcher ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Auguste View Post
    Good idea. Now cut the power and make sure everything still working . . . don't ask how I know to make that suggestion
    Been there, done that with other switches. Remember to write the config. The good/bad with Uniquiti is that you don't have to worry about that. The bad side being if you screw something up, you can just reboot to get back to your old state.

Back in my Network Engineer days when remotely working on stuff I would always issue a reboot in 10 minutes command before starting. If I goofed up something, give it 10 min, it would bounce and dump the running config. I don't do that stuff anymore and forget that step every now and then with some of my other brand stuff.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedals2Paddles View Post
    I've been using BlueIris for years and I am very happy with it. 9 cameras running great. I have it installed on HP Elitedesk desktop PC I bought on eBay for a few hundred bucks. Windows 10, i5, 8GB RAM. With 9 cameras, several of which are "4k", the CPU and RAM run a constant 50% utilization. I put a 1TB WD Purple drive in it for storage.

All the cameras are hikvision, mostly from Nelly's Security. There are 4 exterior POE cameras cabled back to the POE switch. Three more wireless cube cameras inside the house & garage. And an exterior camera outside the shed on WiFi bridge since I accidentally ripped the conduit out of the ground with a subsoiler. I have a Nest doorbell with it's video coming back into BlueIris as well.

The 3 exterior front cameras I have recording 24/7 with alerts on motion. I do this because they face the street and my neighbor's farm, so if something happens off my property the recording will still be there and may be helpful. The backyard and interior are all recording on motion only.

I can log into the web UI from my desk at work, or the app from my phone, just a typical port forward through the router.
    I can basically do all of that with Synology. My reasoning for Blue Iris is the CPU load on my Synology. For what it costs for expanded licensing, I could buy BI, load it on an older machine and do 10GbE connection to the Synology for storage. Probably have money left over for a couple more cameras. I also don't have to worry about it slowing down the VMs and other stuff I am doing on the Synology.

My replacement Ubiquiti switch is a PoE. Just an 8 port with 4 PoE. I want to test that out on my cameras. With the garage build I will be moving my network gear and doing more of a centralized location in the house. The big benefit is that right now I am watching what I put where because my cable modem, Edge Router X, Ubiquity switch and AP are all next to my TV in the living room. So, I don't want to go with stuff that has loud fans. My plan right now is to build a mini rack in a cabinet which will be above the beer fridge in what will become the mid/laundry room. Then I can go with rack mount devices. Maybe step up to a 16 port PoE switch and I was thinking the USG Pro 4. pfSense is better so that is the other option. I just have to make sure I add some fans to that cabinet so stuff doesn't overheat.

JD X585, 54C deck,

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I guess it depends what you mean by junk. I’ve been using consumer units as long as there have been consumer units and I don’t recall ever having a failure. Most units only finally got replaced because they were so old that they no longer worked supported the features of modern user devices.

I am with you. I am a retired systems engineer, but try to keep things pretty simple. I have been using consumer grade ASUS routers for quite some time with excellent results. I had an old Linksys router that I was no longer using, so I used it at my neighbors place for quite a while until it fried due to the heat in his barn. The only one that has ever died on me, but it was not being used in a very good climate. It was probably 20 years old. I think it was probably the first router I ever bought. I always have all my electronics on a UPS so they are protected from surges. Even my TV is on a UPS, although I rarely watch it.

Dave
    Last edited by ddinham; 08-26-2019 at 10:53 AM.
    SulleyBear and DanW like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast