• 4 Post By tomd999
  • 2 Post By 5304

Thread: Windows 8 and Avast anyone?`

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 08:14 AM
    Thanks

Windows 8 and Avast anyone?`

So this new laptop, although fine, it seems everything I do online there is a slight lag. My wife has told me about this issue on hers for some time. Now that I also have Windows 8 and Avast, I cannot figure out which is the issue. Anyone else running these 2?
    Kevin

Diesel Fuel Lube Group Buy - Opti-Lube Diesel Fuel Additives

Bale Supply - Hay & Ranching Supplies

Green Tractor Talk - John Deere Online Community

JD Tech Talk - John Deere Blog

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Texkev View Post
    So this new laptop, although fine, it seems everything I do online there is a slight lag. My wife has told me about this issue on hers for some time. Now that I also have Windows 8 and Avast, I cannot figure out which is the issue. Anyone else running these 2?
    I have a windows 8 laptop and use Norton internet security and do not have any issues with it other than I do not like windows 8. My other 2 laptops are windows 7 and they are more user friendly imo. Are you using a wireless connection or hardwire? All 3 of our laptops are wireless and we use charter and we do not experience any lag issues as you described. We have a total of 9 computers that we run off of our internet and all have norton
    2014 John Deere 5100E H240 FEL 6' Rakemaster Root Grapple, 2016 Woods PSS72 food plot seeder, 2013 John Deere XUV 550 S4 2015 Orsi 12' boom mower with flail head, 2016 John Deere 4105 with front end loader, 2016 John Deere MX6, 2018 Everything Attachments 55" Wicked Grapple. 2018 Everything Attachments Severe Extreme Duty 6' Landscape Rake, 2018 John Deere 1025R TLB with 54D quick connect deck [SIZE=2][COLOR="#008000"]

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CNGreen For This Useful Post:

Texkev (07-06-2015)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    no wireless, I would just assume a base laptop new would work better than a base one over 4 years old. but this issue is the same as my wife's. Let me turn it off completely, Avast and see if things get better, may have to change virus programs...
    Kevin

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

You guys do know that Windows 8.1 already includes a full version of Microsoft Windows Defender AV and malware protection correct?

This and using a non-administrative account along with common sense for daily use pretty much keeps you virus and malware free. I stopped paying for AV years ago.

Tom

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	defender.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	48154
    Texkev, spferdil, DeereNC and 1 others like this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tomd999 For This Useful Post:

Texkev (07-07-2015)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 03:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,734 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomd999 View Post
    Hiya,

You guys do know that Windows 8.1 already includes a full version of Microsoft Windows Defender AV and malware protection correct?

This and using a non-administrative account along with common sense for daily use pretty much keeps you virus and malware free. I stopped paying for AV years ago.

Tom

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	defender.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	48154
    X2
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    NICE! THX!

I knew a bout it but I thought it was just base protection, not worth relying on. Will give it a try tonight only and see if it makes a difference
    Kevin

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    That is correct that Windows includes free Windows Defender for anti-virus protection, previously named Security Essentials. However, most manufacturers include some third party anti-virus program, usually called bloatware. It always is only active for a short time before you have to upgrade from a trial to a paid version. Otherwise it dies and is no longer protecting you. This is how most of the anti-virus vendors make most of their money. If you remove the third party program, sometimes you have to make sure Defender is re-activated.

Many of these third party programs slow down your computer and also make it difficult for certain functions to operate. For example, I once had to uninstall one of these third party programs in order to get a printer to work.

I have used the free Microsoft anti-virus programs since there were first available and have never had a single problem. I highly recommend them.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    The lag most likely is due to the browser you are using, which out of the box would be Internet Explorer. Try Chrome or Firefox instead. Both load pages much faster than IE.
    spferdil and DeereNC like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements