• 3 Post By meburdick
  • 3 Post By meburdick

Thread: NTM Desktop Purchase???

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:04 PM
    Thanks

NTM Desktop Purchase???

My old "Emachines" desktop is getting really slow, looking about a replacement.

I don't need anything fancy, just one that works! I use mine mostly for forums, lots of picture storage (I have "clickfree" backup & an external hard drive hooked up now). Pay some bills with it & internet ordering, researching things I'm buying, etc.

I mostly use Google Chrome, AVG free version, Ccleaner, did have Malwarebytes free until trial ran out. Printshop, AbiWord.

Looking at the possibility of a "refurbished" computer from "discountcomputerdepot". Anybody dealt with them?
    Not looking to spend a lot, but need to be doing something!

Any input?
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Lowell

1944 JD LA, 1953 JD 40S, 93-755 w/60" deck, '04-790 w/300 loader, 2000-F725, '07 "TS" Gator, 80-314 & numerous attachments!, 1980-2418 Power King, 1948 AC "G" & 1961 International Cub Lo Boy

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grnspot110 View Post
    My old "Emachines" desktop is getting really slow, looking about a replacement.

I don't need anything fancy, just one that works! I use mine mostly for forums, lots of picture storage (I have "clickfree" backup & an external hard drive hooked up now). Pay some bills with it & internet ordering, researching things I'm buying, etc.

I mostly use Google Chrome, AVG free version, Ccleaner, did have Malwarebytes free until trial ran out. Printshop, AbiWord.

Looking at the possibility of a "refurbished" computer from "discountcomputerdepot". Anybody dealt with them?
    Not looking to spend a lot, but need to be doing something!

Any input?
    Tigerdirect.com also has refurbished/off-lease desktop computers at good prices. I just bought one for my dad to replace his 12 year old Dell. I paid 150 for a Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz, 4G RAM, and Windows 7 64 bit Pro. Intel motherboard and network card. Plus it qualifies for a free upgrade to Windows 10 at the end of the month. Do a search on TigerDirect.com - Electronics, Tablets, Phones, Office Supplies & Video Games and sort by the price range you want to spend. Can find some real deals. Good luck.

This is the one I bought my dad http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...824&CatId=2627
    Last edited by cheesetrain; 07-16-2015 at 08:47 PM.
    grnspot110, Jeff R. and BigJim55 like this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    The bigger companies offer "refurbished" machines directly through their Outlet Store pages. These are typically machines that someone bought and then returned within the grace period. The manufacturer resets the software, replaces anything that doesn't look brand new, and re-certifies them. They carry a full warranty and are a little less money than a brand new machine. The site that you mentioned appears to offer refurbished PREVIOUS GENERATION machines. The costs are a bit lower, but you'd buying hardware [capability] that was old three years ago in some cases.

If the only thing you're looking to replace is the CPU, you could get a nice "brand name" PC for a few hundred bucks or so. I've purchased refurbished Dell machines in the past and had good luck with them. Not sure about the current inventory that they have though.

I would never buy a non-brand name PC because you just don't know what they're putting inside for components.

You could also check your local Blue Box Store (not the Blue and Yellow one) as they sometimes have good closeout deals on PCs from HP or Dell.

The thing you need to understand is what the specs are as they relate to your use.

Store lots of pictures - you need a big hard drive. 500GB is a bare minimum, go closer to 1TB if you can.
    Word Processing, newer version of Windows - You'll want a decent amount of RAM. 2GB minimum, 4GB would be smoother and faster.
    Not painful to use - Hard drive speed will help things boot and load faster. I would look for a 7200RPM drive, and SATA3 if you can get it.
    grnspot110 and BigJim55 like this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks guys, gives me more info than I had! I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit now, Looks like a lot of the ones on Tiger Direct have Windows professional, don't know the difference, but I'll do more research.
    Lowell

1944 JD LA, 1953 JD 40S, 93-755 w/60" deck, '04-790 w/300 loader, 2000-F725, '07 "TS" Gator, 80-314 & numerous attachments!, 1980-2418 Power King, 1948 AC "G" & 1961 International Cub Lo Boy

7. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,950 Times in 2,913 Posts
    Windows 7 Home Premium vs. Windows 7 Professional - PC World Australia

It seems the software cost more than the computer nowadays.
    grnspot110 likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Professional has some additional security controls and remote access pieces that don't really make a lot of sense for the home user. If you end up with Pro, it isn't a bad thing... But, you don't necessarily need it.
    Gizmo2, grnspot110 and farmgirl19 like this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
    Professional has some additional security controls and remote access pieces that don't really make a lot of sense for the home user. If you end up with Pro, it isn't a bad thing... But, you don't necessarily need it.
    Thanks, that's some of what I wanted to know!
    Lowell

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grnspot110 View Post
    Thanks, that's some of what I wanted to know!
    Just to be clear - my comments pertain specifically to Windows 7. I honestly don't know enough about Windows 8 (or Windows 10) versions to know whether these differences persist or if there are other things you do/don't get with the various "levels" of the software.

It's really too bad that Apple doesn't offer a very low-cost option system because it would be great for the more basic home user like yourself.
    Gizmo2, grnspot110 and coaltrain like this.
    ---

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements