Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Need Web Site Input

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    @
    Thanks

Need Web Site Input

Hi, All.

I somewhat recently took over webmaster duties for a snowmobile club and am tasked with keeping all of the content fresh, up-to-date, easy to use, etc. I am interested in some objective feedback as to which type of site layout you personally find the most appealing to use.

The links below are to different snowmobile club web sites in my area. They represent a variety of approaches to getting the content out there from the very simple to the somewhat complex. If you are a powersports enthusiast of some sort, please apply your "would I join this club and want to ride their trail system" view. If you are not in this category, the please provide any commentary as to which site you feel could provide you with the best overall experience as a rider and which web site you feel would be the most useful overall.

Keep in mind that many of the club members are NOT overly tech savvy and won't use the web site in any fashion at all, ever. So, it needs to strike a balance between not being useful at all and "too confusing".

Please indicate the ONE site you prefer over the others, and WHY.

Savoy Kanary Kats Home
    Congregate Media
    Knox Trail Sno-Riders
    sandisfieldsc.webs.com
    adamssnodrifters.webstarts.com

Some clubs have no web site at all, and some have only a Facebook page - things are literally all over the place with clubs like this because it's a strictly volunteer-based system, so it all depends on who's able to run the site.

I appreciate your thoughts on this!!!
    Last edited by meburdick; 07-18-2015 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Links not auto-inserted for all pages
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 12:46 AM
    Thanks
    They were all not bad, but at a quick run through, I think I liked Kanary Kats the best. First, it seemed to be kept up to date the best, but that is not really a reflection to its usability, but very-very important, to me at least. Most of all, it seemed to have the most information out there and was very easy to maneuver through. I had never been on any of those sites, know nothing about sleds, but think I could learn the most a get started pretty quickly after spending a little time sniffing around there. Send a link to yours when you get rolling and if you ain't tender, I'll critique it - I can be a real PITA when I ain't happy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 316 For This Useful Post:

meburdick (07-23-2015)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Could use more insight here if folks have some time to look around and help me out.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    I like Sandisfield Snowmobile Club the best.
    meburdick likes this.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by felixm22 View Post
    Thank you for your input. Any specific things you would want to cite as to why?
    ---

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    I did not really nitpick it but upon landing on it was the most visually appealing. Think it was the colors and did now feel cluttered.

Sometime I think people who don't design try to over do it on the first page and either clutter things up or give it all away and leave the viewer with no reason to go any further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    meburdick and BigJim55 like this.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

10. Top | #7
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    Sorry to be late to the party.....

I think the Savoy and the Stanisfield are both good, functional websites.

It' depends what you want to do. If you're looking to convey info the members easily, then any of these will work. If you're looking to attract new members, they all suck. None of these sites look "pro". There are easy online options available now to make a really nice looking site - wix is one, for example.

I did note that one of them had an mobile phone app for trail conditions - that'd be helpful.

Another important point is to make sure your site works on mobile phone browsers - Android and iOS. It's a p-off when you can't access stuff remotely - for instance, en route to the trails!!!!

I don't want to be the downer guy, but that's my honest opinion.

-J.
    meburdick, farmgirl19 and BigJim55 like this.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Sorry to be late to the party.....

I think the Savoy and the Stanisfield are both good, functional websites.

It' depends what you want to do. If you're looking to convey info the members easily, then any of these will work. If you're looking to attract new members, they all suck. None of these sites look "pro". There are easy online options available now to make a really nice looking site - wix is one, for example.

I did note that one of them had an mobile phone app for trail conditions - that'd be helpful.

Another important point is to make sure your site works on mobile phone browsers - Android and iOS. It's a p-off when you can't access stuff remotely - for instance, en route to the trails!!!!

I don't want to be the downer guy, but that's my honest opinion.

-J.
    All good points.

The mobile app is out there - it's offered by SAM (Snowmobile Association of MA) and not the clubs. Linking to it in the App Store would make sense, though.

I know that "my" site works on mobile devices and has some slight modifications specifically for the smaller screens (which are auto-detected). I also know that I have a long way to go in that area.

I haven't looked at Wix, but another club member had mentioned it. I'll have to check it out and see if it would be worth the workload required to change over to it.

Thank you!
    ---

12. Top | #9
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    I think if Heidi Klum can do it, you can too....!!!!

Sent from JerPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    07-08-2016 @ 01:06 PM
    Thanks
    Sorry for being late to replay, so this may be irrelevant now but personally I didn't care for any the suggested sites. They were all good in their own right, but if your after usability and functionality you can not go wrong with the word press platform. A friend from the TBN board created https://www.farmandranchexchange.com and I love it, it is extremely easy to get around on. He told me all he really had to do was find the plugins he need and install them. Hope this helps ya some and im not tooo late.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast