Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Dash cams

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks

Dash cams

I'm looking to put a dash cam in our flatbed truck. Newish Ford F450. Rides like a deuce and a half with cement wheels. The suction mount Garmin GPS can't hang onto the windshield for very long between drops onto the dash.

Further, the dang auxiliary power sockets stay live when the key is shut off, complicating the whole automatic recording functionality. So, it will need to be hard wired in somewhere, somehow. Yay. Thanks Ford.

Any gadget junkies have a recommendation? I've read good reviews about these G1W things and the similar A118 versions, which I like the unobtrusiveness of. I don't care for a windshield becoming a media center.

And I'm not interested in something like a go pro or using a smart phone. I want dedicated stuff, out of mind, and preferably out of sight.

I'm only considering new technology, micro sd or better. Long recording storage, several hours. Only HD quality, no last year's clearance models. Been there, done that. Not worth the savings.

I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest thing available but it seems like you can get something good for under $100 these days. Maybe I'm wrong about that one, which is why I ask the question.

Thanks
    Tractor Attachments Maximized for Versatility
    www.ARTILLIAN.com
    Email: [email protected]

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 2,189 Posts
    I kind of gave up on this. I bought a cheap one when on sale just to try it. Of course it worked for about 1 week and that was it. I then did my due research on purchasing another with a budget similar to yours. The more reviews I read the more frustrated I became until I ultimately gave up. It seems the price doesn't matter much - most of them seem to come from one or two overseas factories with just different names on them. All junk in my opinion.

And I had the same issue with the always live 12v ports in my truck (Ford) - i would go ahead and hardwire one if I found a decent quality cam but that never happened.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:14 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,086 Posts
    I'll be curious to see what folks have to say, as I'd like to have one for my work truck as well.

One feature I would like would be a button somewhere I could hit to take a still photo. I haven't seen that option yet, so I may be stuck trying to capture one frame of the video on the laptop.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks

this is the one I use

The Best Dash Cam | The Wirecutter
    Been very good and is inexpensive

Marlin and UnionSchnauzer like this.
    2015 1025r FILB (H120 49" w/piranha bar & KBOGHs, 60" Auto-connect MMM)
    Artillian Frame, Forks, Grapple and Diverter
    BB2060 Frontier Box Blade
    PB1001 Frontier 1 Bottom Turning Plow
    54" JD Snow Blower
    647JD Tiller
    LP1160 land plane
    Tektite Backhoe cab

Just need a Wallenstein Chipper and... I'm sure I'll think of something more

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mn1025rfilb For This Useful Post:

Artillian (09-07-2015)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I kind of gave up on this. I bought a cheap one when on sale just to try it. Of course it worked for about 1 week and that was it. I then did my due research on purchasing another with a budget similar to yours. The more reviews I read the more frustrated I became until I ultimately gave up. It seems the price doesn't matter much - most of them seem to come from one or two overseas factories with just different names on them. All junk in my opinion.

And I had the same issue with the always live 12v ports in my truck (Ford) - i would go ahead and hardwire one if I found a decent quality cam but that never happened.
    Well then I'm even more glad that I asked the question! Hopefully some all knowing orb will be along to adorn all of us with their vast knowledge.
    www.ARTILLIAN.com

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mn1025rfilb View Post

The Best Dash Cam | The Wirecutter
    Been very good and is inexpensive

Funny, I read that article this morning which led me down the path of the G1W. Good to hear from a reliable source!

My concern with that one is the suction cup deal and possibly getting power into it. The last time I took a dash board apart, it was to install a month's pay in the form of an Alpine hi fi cassette deck. Those contortionist days are long over.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    www.ARTILLIAN.com

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,181 Posts
    I don't know squat about dash cams, but bought one identical to the one in the photo below.

When the viewing screen is folded upward, it looks like a Radar Detector. The facilities I enter do not allow cameras, so this one works for me(kind of covert). I do not know the brand. Been using it in my F450 for a bit over 2 years. Bought it off of eBay and can't find another like it. I'm guessing they discontinued the model.
    It's so light, it stays in place next to the interior rear-view mirror. I lost the instructions, so It's trial & error to set it up.

Below is the closest to the one I have. Click on the photo.
    BigJim55 and Marlin like this.
    Michael

'84 JD 750
    '08 JD Z445
    '71 JD 15 Chainsaw
    And a bunch of other stuff.

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"?
    - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to flyweight For This Useful Post:

Artillian (09-07-2015)

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:14 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,086 Posts
    If you're looking at the G1, consider the B40 as well. A little more money, but supposedly better build quality. It would be nice if a local retailer stocked some of these so you could see them in person.

I'm leaning toward this one because I get to deal with a lot of dirt roads, and there are reports of the mounting slot cracking on on G1W.
    Last edited by 56FordGuy; 09-07-2015 at 12:27 PM.
    BigJim55, ilmo, flyweight and 1 others like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    05-31-2019 @ 08:57 AM
    Thanks
    WE have rearview mirror cameras that record not only the front of the vehicle but also the operators compartment on the Ambulances (wear your seatbelt big brother is watching you)on my side job. They activate on sudden starting /stopping/ hard braking or turns. there is also an emergency panic button that will record back almost 30 seconds from prior to pushing button. They record on a loop and can be downloaded by bluetooth or wi-fi or wire.

Their footprint is just slightly larger than a standard rearview mirror and they replace the factory mirrors.

Site is WWW.digitalallyinc.com
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    1025r with FEL, BACKHOE, 54" Snow Blower, 647 Tiller, 60" MMM,
    Everything Attachments 42" Front Forks, Post Hole Digger, 54" box blade , Hopper Spreader (Sand N Ice Melt mix in winter)
    CTC Rear blade and York rake combo, Wood Max Chipper,
    Ken's Grab-on Hooks, Back Hoe Steps, Original Cab With Glass Windshield and Wiper,
    BXPanded 6" Trench Bucket, Ripper and Quick Change Set-Up
    Heavy Hitch Front & Rear Weight Brackets, Sub-Soiler, Ripper, Middle Buster, Potato Plow

AND PROUD OF HER TOO

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dcsmith830 For This Useful Post:

Artillian (09-07-2015)

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    If you're looking at the G1, consider the B40 as well. A little more money, but supposedly better build quality. It would be nice if a local retailer stocked some of these so you could see them in person.

I'm leaning toward this one because I get to deal with a lot of dirt roads, and there are reports of the mounting slot cracking on on G1W.
    Thanks, that's the A118 which is what I have been favoring as well.

Bad news on the FoMoCo StuporDuty switched aux power. No such thing, apparently. We'll have to dig. This might be a better job for sumuda guy with more time.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    www.ARTILLIAN.com

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast