Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Windows 10 alert!

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 979 Posts

Windows 10 alert!

Don't know how many are aware of this, but you can accidently start a Win 10 upgrade.

Microsoft sent a Win 10 upgrade into the Windows update section, under optional updates, with it
    check marked to install.

If you go ahead and tell your computer to install "important updates" from the important updates section,
    it will also start to install Win 10 from the optional updates section.

Lots of folks don't look at the "optional updates" section when they install "important updates" from
    the "important updates" section, those optional updates should always be sent unchecked.

Microsoft said it was a mistake that they sent it to users with it check marked "to install".
    They said they would correct it.

When I looked at the the optional update section on my computer and my wife's computer it was
    still checked to install.
    I unchecked both because I'm 90% sure, at this time, I will not be upgrading either machine to Win 10.

Figured folks would want to know about this "little accidental glitch" by Microsoft.

-Cajun-
    Last edited by Old Cajun; 10-17-2015 at 10:25 PM.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old Cajun For This Useful Post:

farmgirl19 (10-17-2015), grnspot110 (10-17-2015), Levi (10-18-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

Don't be too scared of Win 10, it's not Vista or Win 8.0

Personally, I have it running on all the notebooks at the house. They were a mix of Vista, Win 7, Win 8 and 8.1. The processors range from old Core 2 Duo's to the latest i7's. All of them run faster, more stable, boot quicker and connect to Wi-Fi easier.

Microsoft is also changing the way the updates to Win 10 will be delivered, they will be more like phone updates where they will just be installed and at a time you select, the system will restart. Desktop and notebook computer devices and OS's are on their way out, handheld devices will take over in less than 5 years.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    The problem with Win 10 isn't how the computer operates for the user, it's how it's turned into spyware sending all your behavior back to MS to sell to the highest, and lowest bidder at will.

I'm going to Linux when I migrate off MS products. 10 was the "X" that indicates "close this relationship window."
    farmgirl19, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    I am running Windows 10 and have been since it was available. No problems whatsoever. For the "phone home to MS", you can turn that off during the installation. Furthermore, you do not have to have a MS account to install it or use it. That is another option during installation.

Dave
    BigJim55 likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    They can decide to uninstall and disable software they deem isn't legally yours. How can they do that without phoning home personal data?
    Levi, BigJim55 and Old Cajun like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomd999 View Post
    Hiya,

Don't be too scared of Win 10, it's not Vista or Win 8.0

Personally, I have it running on all the notebooks at the house. They were a mix of Vista, Win 7, Win 8 and 8.1. The processors range from old Core 2 Duo's to the latest i7's. All of them run faster, more stable, boot quicker and connect to Wi-Fi easier.

Microsoft is also changing the way the updates to Win 10 will be delivered, they will be more like phone updates where they will just be installed and at a time you select, the system will restart. Desktop and notebook computer devices and OS's are on their way out, handheld devices will take over in less than 5 years.
    On the "run faster" thing, I'm starting to see reports that Win 10 is starting to get slower and slower and starting to be
    a little more of a resource hog.

I know when I got my high end laptop (i7 Quad core, 32GB Ram, SSD primary drive) a little over a year ago with Win 8.1, it went from power up to ready to rock and roll in 12 - 13 seconds, now it takes 35 - 40 seconds.
    No viruses, malware, but extra stuff from Microsoft updates (some of which I think are really "crapware") added into the OS.

It seems that this is starting to happen already with Win 10.
    And on another note, after the initial "rush" to Win 10, downloads of it have slowed down drastically.
    The dust ain't settled yet about Win 10 as far as I'm concerned.

As far as being "scared" of it, I'm a retired oilfield electronic tech with 30 years experience on computers, telemetry systems,
    gamma detectors, particle accelerators, sonic and ultra sonic imagining systems and electromagnetic imagining systems.
    This ain't my first time over to the rodeo.
    Last edited by Old Cajun; 10-18-2015 at 01:25 AM.
    Neil

Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-11-2019 @ 09:26 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

Desktop and notebook computer devices and OS's are on their way out, handheld devices will take over in less than 5 years.
    Do you mean "take over" in the terminator sense like skynet? The demise of desktops and notebooks has been talked about for more than a decade now. They are not going anywhere over the next 5 years. Why? Because while handheld computer screens continue to get bigger at some point most people get crabby when you can't fit them in your pocket anymore, even if you are the type that wears your baggy pants at your knees. The screens are simply too small.

Eventually, what we call a smartphone today will have enough computing power, and a long enough battery life while that computer power is actually being used, to connect it to a flexible display that rolls out to decent viewable size. Until that time people will always want and need larger displays, greater computing power, a system that runs at maximum performance for longer than a few minutes before it needs to be recharged.

JD
    Last edited by jdskycaster; 10-18-2015 at 08:54 AM.
    Levi and Old Cajun like this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    Here is how to turn off the MS "phone home". As for the MS account, just sign out of the account and then choose to log in to your computer without a MS account.

Dave

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	privacy.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	70098
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    All right, I'm starting to get damned pi$$ed now!!

I unchecked install Win 10 in the optional updates section 2 days ago, just relooked at it
    and it's checked "to install" again!
    Apparently unchecking it does no good, when you uncheck the Win 10 update, leave the optional update screen
    and than come back to it, it's rechecked "to install".

Microsoft said they would correct that that "mistake" on their part, but the damn thing
    keeps checking itself to install.

What the hell is going on here?????
    I'm not too paranoid of a person, but I'm sure wondering about Microsoft's intent now since
    Win 10 upgrades have slowed down a bunch.
    Last edited by Old Cajun; 10-18-2015 at 01:50 PM.
    farmgirl19 and Levi like this.
    Neil

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts

Desktop and notebook computer devices and OS's are on their way out, handheld devices will take over in less than 5 years.
    Not in my house.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1˝" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast